[comp.unix.questions] UUCP is simple to implement

bill@aimt.UUCP (Bill Dana) (03/03/88)

For the last few years I have been running software remotely
on differing types of systems.  This intales downloding our
software onto other systems via uucp (sometimes kermet whatever.)

I have been requested (by my boss) to publish a checklist
that exlpains this procedure so that anybody in the company
(he used a SALESPERSON as an example)  could do this themself.

This would entail getting pertenent (sp?) info like phone #,
login, passwd etc. then setting up the L.sys file etc.

He says that uucp is simple to set up, "I have done it hundreds
of times without many problems."  This has not been my experience
due to the nature of our business, running on many differing systems
with differing uucp implementations (some quite brain dammaged).

If anybody can describe a simple procedure, or site references, robust
enough to work with many systems, I would appreciate you
letting me know.  If anybody has any comments (like I don't think
it can be done!) I would appreciate those as well.

Thanks in advance.

--
Bill Dana   AIM Technology   Palo Alto, CA   (415)856-8649
{uunet,pyramid!weitek,{ames,sun}!coherent}!aimt!bill

fox@alice.marlow.reuters.co.uk (Paul Fox) (03/10/88)

In article <658@aimt.UUCP> bill@aimt.UUCP (Bill Dana) writes:

>I have been requested (by my boss) to publish a checklist
>that exlpains this procedure so that anybody in the company
>(he used a SALESPERSON as an example)  could do this themself.

As well as describing how to do this, I think the most important thing
to do is to explain common problems, and symptoms. Eg, using the -xN
switches to check the conversation with the remote host.

Also, some explanation about /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE would be in order.

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (03/18/88)

In article <301@alice.marlow.reuters.co.uk>, fox@alice.marlow.reuters.co.uk (Paul Fox) writes:
} In article <658@aimt.UUCP> bill@aimt.UUCP (Bill Dana) writes:
} >
} >I have been requested (by my boss) to publish a checklist
} >that exlpains this procedure so that anybody in the company
} >(he used a SALESPERSON as an example)  could do this themself.
} >
} As well as describing how to do this, I think the most important thing
} to do is to explain common problems, and symptoms. Eg, using the -xN
} switches to check the conversation with the remote host.
}
} Also, some explanation about /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE would be in order.

	Try the nutshell handbooks.... One's called 'Using UUCP and USENET',
and one's called 'Managing UUCP and USENET'.  Both are very fine publications.
They are by Tim O'Reilly and associates.  If anybody wants me to dig, I can
get a UUCP address and a real-word phone #.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 }                          |
| @ Century Software          : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |

rcsmith@netsys.UUCP (Ray Smith) (03/23/88)

In article <331@wsccs.UUCP>, terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) writes:
> 	Try the nutshell handbooks.... One's called 'Using UUCP and USENET',
> and one's called 'Managing UUCP and USENET'.  Both are very fine publications.
> They are by Tim O'Reilly and associates.  If anybody wants me to dig, I can
> get a UUCP address and a real-word phone #.

Please DO try and find the phone number for the nutshell books mentioned.

I am very interested in both and am having a heck of a time with the manual
pages on UUCP.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (03/24/88)

In article <7772@netsys.UUCP> rcsmith@netsys.UUCP (Ray Smith) writes:

   Please DO try and find the phone number for the nutshell books mentioned.

From u.usa.ma.2:

#N	ora
#S	Convergent Technologies Miniframe; CTIX 3.2
#O	O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
#C	Tim O'Reilly
#E	ora!tim
#T	+1 617 527 4210
#P	981 Chestnut Street, Newton, MA 02164
#L	42 20 N / 071 13 W
#R	Technical writing consulting firm.
#U	adelie
#W	ora!tim (Tim O'Reilly); Tue Jan 13 09:16:44 EST 1987
#
ora	adelie(DIRECT), phw5(WEEKLY)
--
lyndon  {alberta,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon%ncc@uunet.uu.net

fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) (04/08/88)

Well, O'Reilly & Assoc don't put phone numbers in their books.
Nor do they have an e-mail address but here's the address:
981 Chestnut St
Newton, Ma 02164

Got my first feel for usenet from their books
about $10 each

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (04/16/88)

In article <7255@cdin-1.uucp> fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) writes:

>Well, O'Reilly & Assoc don't put phone numbers in their books.
>Nor do they have an e-mail address but here's the address:
>981 Chestnut St
>Newton, Ma 02164

They are reachable via email - try contacting tim@ora.uucp.
Their address and phone number is listed in their map entry.

--
lyndon  {alberta,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon@Nexus.CA

jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (04/18/88)

In article <7255@cdin-1.uucp> fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) writes:

>Well, O'Reilly & Assoc don't put phone numbers in their books.
>Nor do they have an e-mail address
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nonsense, Tim O'Reilly can be reached at : uunet!ora!tim
Also, if you are interested, the phone number shown in their map
entry is : (617) 527-4210.

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA

tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) (04/18/88)

In article <7255@cdin-1.uucp> fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) writes:

>Well, O'Reilly & Assoc don't put phone numbers in their books.
>Nor do they have an e-mail address but here's the address:
>981 Chestnut St
>Newton, Ma 02164

I'm surprised that neither the original poster nor this
respondee noticed the large ad for our other books that
appears in the front of each one of our books.  This ad
includes, in large type, our 800 number!

  1-800-338-NUTS

I believe our e-mail address:  nuts@ora.uu.net
(uunet!ora!nuts) appears on the same page.  Looks like we
need to put it on the title page, along with the address,
since people mustn't look very hard.

Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
981 Chestnut Street, Newton, MA 02164
UUCP:	uunet!ora!tim      ARPA:   tim@ora.uu.net
--

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (04/20/88)

In article <180@turnkey.TCC.COM> jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
 >In article <7255@cdin-1.uucp> fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) writes:
 >>
 >>Well, O'Reilly & Assoc don't put phone numbers in their books.
 >>Nor do they have an e-mail address
 > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >Nonsense, Tim O'Reilly can be reached at : uunet!ora!tim
 >Also, if you are interested, the phone number shown in their map
 >entry is : (617) 527-4210.

 And every one of their books which I have does list their phone number. Even
 though they seem to have moved during the past year, their phone number
 stayed the same. They also have an 800 number for inquiries, credit card
 or corporate purchase orders.

 Their address is 981 Chestnut Street, Newton, Ma 02164.
UUCP:  ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
INTERNET: wnp@EESDES.DAS.NET or wnp@dcs.UUCP   TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (04/20/88)

In article <180@turnkey.TCC.COM> jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
== In article <7255@cdin-1.uucp> fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) writes:
== >
== >Well, O'Reilly & Assoc don't put phone numbers in their books.
== >Nor do they have an e-mail address
==  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
== Nonsense, Tim O'Reilly can be reached at : uunet!ora!tim
== Also, if you are interested, the phone number shown in their map
== entry is : (617) 527-4210.
==
They now have an 800 number: 1-800-/DEV/NUTS (don't dial the slashes).

pdvscm@prcpto.PRC.SID (Steve Monroe) (04/21/88)

In article <1147@ora.UUCP>, tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) writes:
> In article <7255@cdin-1.uucp> fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) writes:
> >
> >[stuff about lack of numbers and email in book deleted]
>
> [stuff from O'Reilly about 800 number and email deleted]

What! READ the book!  Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;-)
Nothing personal, I'm just in a strange state of mind today......

fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) (04/24/88)

In article <180@turnkey.TCC.COM>, jack@turnkey.TCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
> In article <7255@cdin-1.uucp> fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) writes:
> >that he couldn't find their e-mail or regular phone in their books

> Nonsense, Tim O'Reilly can be reached at : uunet!ora!tim
> Also, if you are interested, the phone number shown in their map
> entry is : (617) 527-4210.

        Ok, ok. Fact is the books I bought at Uniforum a year ago do not have
        this info. Maybe they found it prudent to include this information
        in their current publications. Certainly belongs there.
        FR - Philly

fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) (04/24/88)

In article <1147@ora.UUCP>, tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) writes:
> In article <7255@cdin-1.uucp> fred@cdin-1.uucp (Fred Rump) writes:
        that O'Reilly only prints their address, no phone, no e-mail
        Tim O'Reilly responds with surprise that nobody can read the large ad,
        etc with the numbers in the front of the book. He continues with:

> I believe our e-mail address:  nuts@ora.uu.net
> (uunet!ora!nuts) appears on the same page.  Looks like we
> need to put it on the title page, along with the address,
> since people mustn't look very hard.

        Questioning my sanity, I looked for an O'Reilly book again.
        Title Page, blah, blah with street address
        other side: copyright 1986, printed in USA, blah,blah, Second Edition

        Still no phone#, still no e-mail - so far so good - I'm still with you

        Back page: Nutshell Handbook ad for 7 (count them) books
                   bottom of page: name and address again, still no phone# etc
        Back cover page: same - name, address - no phone

        I'm glad to say that I can still read. I'd be glad to send photo
        copies of my Nutshell books to attest as to my sanity.

        Perhaps I should trade my set of books for the latest models just in
        case someone may ask for their phone number again and I'd be accused
        of not looking hard enough for what can't be seen.
Fred Rump
CompuData, Inc.
{bellcore,ihnp4}bpa!cdin-1!fred