[comp.unix.questions] Is ksh in public domain?

mdorion@cmtl01.UUCP (Mario Dorion) (05/01/88)

I would Like to know if the korn shell is in the public domain in any way.

Thanks!

     Mario Dorion              |     E-mail address:
     Frisco Bay Industries     |
     Montreal, Canada          | ...!{rutgers,uunet,ihnp4,decvax}!
     1 (514) 738-7300          |            philabs!micomvax!cmtl01!mdorion

            But I thought this planet was in public domain!

lvc@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lawrence V. Cipriani) (05/02/88)

In article <295@cmtl01.UUCP> mdorion@cmtl01.UUCP (Mario Dorion) writes:
>I would Like to know if the korn shell is in the public domain in any way.

No.  The source code from AT&T will cost you somewhere around $25,000.
You can get binaries for around $150 from various VARs.  See UNIX/World
magazine ads.

>Thanks!

You're welcome.
--
Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems and Ohio State University
Domain: lvc@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (05/03/88)

Lawrence V. Cipriani writes:
< Mario Dorion asks:
< > I would Like to know if the korn shell is in the public
< > domain in any way.
<
< No.  The source code from AT&T will cost you somewhere around $25,000.

While it is not in the public domain, it is not that expensive
either.  The source to ksh-i (the international version) is
available from the AT&T Toolchest for $3000, and the binary
relicensing fee (needed only to resell binaries) is $20,000.
Those not familiar with the Toolchest can call (201) 522-6900 @
1200bps, login is "guest", no password.

Note that porting ksh is not at all a task for the novice; it is
not (to put it politely) "maximally portable".

--
Steve Friedl      V-Systems, Inc. (714) 545-6442       3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com      {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl      attmail!vsi!friedl

lvc@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lawrence V. Cipriani) (05/03/88)

Like I once wrote on a physics paper, "within an order of magnitude" .. :-)

> ... Those not familiar with the Toolchest can call (201) 522-6900 @
> 1200bps, login is "guest", no password.

While this info on the Toolchest is here I'll take this opportunity
to plug my fast C/C++ syntax checker called "inspect".  It is *not*
intended to replace lint.  It has found hundreds of bugs in AT&T
products including several versions of UNIX, and ksh.  It runs on
everything from micro's to CRAY's and only costs $75.00.  There is
more info on what it checks in the Toolchest.  If you are not a UNIX
source license holder there is a one time ~ $100 registration fee for
the Toolchest.  It has sold very well in the short amount of time
it has been on sale.

--

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/04/88)

In article <12142@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> lvc@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
| In article <295@cmtl01.UUCP> mdorion@cmtl01.UUCP (Mario Dorion) writes:
| >I would Like to know if the korn shell is in the public domain in any way.
|
| No.  The source code from AT&T will cost you somewhere around $25,000.
| You can get binaries for around $150 from various VARs.  See UNIX/World
| magazine ads.

  Hummm... the price for source with sublicensing (ie. you can sell the
binaries) is $20k, not $25k. However, for the faint of wallet, the
source code for on-site use is $3k. That is not a one machine license, I
really mean site license.

  I think the number is 1-201-522-6900, but my note could be wrong.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)