[comp.unix.questions] Transferring binary files from VAX BSD 4.2 to MS-DOS

msicv01@ms3.UUCP (Jay G. Heiser) (04/28/88)

I've seen several postings lately in response to someone who is having
difficulty transferring files from a VAX using unix to an MS-DOS PC.  I've
successfully transferred a number of binary files (ftp'ed to our VAX host
from SIMTEL20) from BSD 4.2 to my PC.  We have an added problem because we
use a broadband LAN and the packet communication units have not been con-
figured for transparent operation.  Kermit is the ONLY way we have of
transferring binary files from our hosts to PCs.

No one mentioned setting file type to binary on both the PC and the remote
host.  You MUST do it on the remote host, or every ^J will be turned into a
^M^J combo.  I believe the -i flag does the exact same thing.  I'm using
MS-KERMIT 2.30 (Jan 88) and it works just fine w/o having to set a file type.
However, CrossTalk XVI & CrossTalk Mark IV will not transfer binary files
correctly unless you explicity set file type to binary.

Also, parity will screw things up too, if you happen to have anything along
the line set to 7 bits.  Our IBM host only works with kermit with space parity.

I strongly recommend Frank DeLaCruz's book "KERMIT: a file transfer protocol"
from DIGITAL Press.

Jay Heiser                   UUCP: ..!umd5!vrdxhq!ms3!msicv01
                             ARPA: msicv01@hios-pent.arpa
--

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (04/29/88)

> [A rather long description of the problems that can occur with KERMIT
>  if things are not properly configured ]
>
>I strongly recommend Frank DeLaCruz's book "KERMIT: a file transfer protocol"
>from DIGITAL Press.

I strongly recommend that you convert to XMODEM or one of it's
variations (preferrably ZMODEM).  Xmodem is a lowest common
denominator:  nearly every PC communications program can handle
vanilla XMODEM.

This is especially relevent for UNIX systems.  Kermit's primary
advantage is that it works with ANY kind of mainframe system, even
ones with totally brain-damaged terminal interfaces.  Since UNIX
supports a binary mode tty mode (RAW mode), XMODEM has the
advantage.
--
     john nelson

UUCP:            {decvax,mit-eddie}!genrad!teddy!jpn
ARPA (sort of):  talcott.harvard.edu!panda!teddy!jpn

blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (04/30/88)

In article <786@ms3.UUCP> msicv01@ms3.UUCP (Jay G. Heiser) writes:
>I strongly recommend Frank DeLaCruz's book "KERMIT: a file transfer protocol"
>from DIGITAL Press.

I second the recomendation, with one correction: Frank da Cruz (no la)
If you can't find it in a bookstore, you can order it from the publisher
800-343-8321 (Mass 800-462-8006) (no non-800 number listed)

[disclamer: I am one of the many people who are mentioned in the intro,
but I had to pay full price for my copy.]
--
Bob Larson	Arpa: Blarson@Ecla.Usc.Edu	blarson@skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson

maddoxt@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) (05/02/88)

In article <786@ms3.UUCP> msicv01@ms3.UUCP (Jay G. Heiser) writes:
>I've seen several postings lately in response to someone who is having
>difficulty transferring files from a VAX using unix to an MS-DOS PC.
> [ . . . ]
>No one mentioned setting file type to binary on both the PC and the remote
>host.  You MUST do it on the remote host, or every ^J will be turned into a
>^M^J combo.  I believe the -i flag does the exact same thing.
> [ . . . ]
>Also, parity will screw things up too, if you happen to have anything along
>the line set to 7 bits.  Our IBM host only works with kermit with space parity.

	For those who followed the earlier discussion concerning
transmission difficulties involving Unix/kermit at the Vax end,
Procomm/kermit at the other, there appears to be a definitive
solution.  If for some reason you must stay in Procomm (for instance,
you don't have an external kermit package), then you use kermit si
[filename] at the Unix end, then from Procomm change from E71 to N81,
using alt-p, and the file will be received fine (afterwards, of course,
you must change back to E71, or your screen will contain only gibberish).
Alternatively, you can shell out of Procomm with alt-F4 and run kermit
as an external protocol.
	Apologies for repeating this information if you already know
it, but I know from experience how frustrating this little problem can
be.

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (05/02/88)

In article <459@novavax.UUCP> maddoxt@novavax.UUCP (Thomas Maddox) writes:
}solution.  If for some reason you must stay in Procomm (for instance,
}you don't have an external kermit package), then you use kermit si
}[filename] at the Unix end, then from Procomm change from E71 to N81,
}using alt-p, and the file will be received fine (afterwards, of course,
}you must change back to E71, or your screen will contain only gibberish).
}Alternatively, you can shell out of Procomm with alt-F4 and run kermit
}as an external protocol.

Of course, if you can get a full 8 bits across your data path (N81), then
you might as well use sz/rz on Unix and shell out to DSZ from ProComm.
You will be rewarded with much-enhanced throughput, among other things.
--
{harvard,uunet,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- AT&T: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |"Tolerance means excusing the mistakes others make.

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/03/88)

> > [A rather long description of the problems that can occur with KERMIT
> >  if things are not properly configured ]
> >
> >I strongly recommend Frank DeLaCruz's book "KERMIT: a file transfer protocol"
> >from DIGITAL Press.
>
> I strongly recommend that you convert to XMODEM or one of it's
> variations (preferrably ZMODEM).  Xmodem is a lowest common
> denominator:  nearly every PC communications program can handle
> vanilla XMODEM.
>
>      john nelson

Great!  Now, will someone please send me XMODEM for UNIX?  I've been
trying to obtain it for months.  I've had at least one person offer
to send it to me, but I can't seem to get mail back to him.

Please?  Pretty please, with sugar on top?  XMODEM?

Clayton E. Cramer

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (05/06/88)

In article <2042@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
:Great!  Now, will someone please send me XMODEM for UNIX?  I've been
:trying to obtain it for months.  I've had at least one person offer
:to send it to me, but I can't seem to get mail back to him.
:
:Please?  Pretty please, with sugar on top?  XMODEM?

The Unix rz/sz programs support ZMODEM, YMODEM, XMODEM-1k, and XMODEM
on Unix.  They should be available on most of the source archive
machines.  They are also available on TeleGodzilla in rzsz.arc, you
can download it from there without any registration required.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla BBS: 621-3746   CIS: 70007,2304    Genie: CAF