[comp.unix.questions] Curses problem on PC monitors

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (05/13/88)

Re: Curses output on PC monitors

When displaying standout() text on a CGA or Mono monitor, if the
standout() text is the last text on the line, the standend() routine
does not end standout() mode. All blank space and lines until the next
non-blank text appears in reverse. A typical example is:

    move(0,30);
    standout();
    addstr("A STANDOUT TEXT STRING");
    standend();
    /* ... move to other lines, add more text */
    refresh();

Preceeding or following the standend() with a clrtoeol() does not help
(and is often undesireable, especially if the window is boxed :-).
Please note, this only occurs if the standout() text is the last text on the
line. If any non-blank characters follow the standend(), everything works as
expected.

The environment is a 286 box running SCO Xenix 2.x.

Has anyone experienced the same? Can any suggestions be offered as to
workarounds, or perhaps a more proper use of the Curses function?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dave Hammond
DSI Communications, Inc.
--------------------------------
UUCP:   ...!marob!daveh
VOICE:  (516)872-3535
USMAIL: 333 W. Merrick Rd.
        Valley Stream, NY 11580

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/17/88)

In article <278@marob.MASA.COM> daveh@marob.UUCP (Dave Hammond) writes:

>Re: Curses output on PC monitors
>
>When displaying standout() text on a CGA or Mono monitor, if the
>standout() text is the last text on the line, the standend() routine
>does not end standout() mode. All blank space and lines until the next
>non-blank text appears in reverse. A typical example is:
		d e l e t e d

I have seen what you mention.  I have also seen it in MSDOS with the
ansi.sys driver installed. It doesn't happen in DOS with nanci.sys
installed. Since xenix and ansi.sys were written by Microsoft I suspect
an error in the implementation.

If you're still under service, complain. It's been this was for years.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)