[comp.unix.questions] unix on the ibm pc?

MLWLG@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (05/13/88)

I have asked been asking around if anybody knows of a unix system for
for the ibm pc (compatibles...), but the answers were no.

Information about unix and the ibm pc would be appreciated. In
particular;

 1 Does such a system exist?

 2 Is there a public domain version?

 3 Who are the software vendors?

 4 What are the price ranges?

 5 Et cetera.

 Thank You.....

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (05/15/88)

In article <1321MLWLG@CUNYVM> MLWLG@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>I have asked been asking around if anybody knows of a unix system for
>for the ibm pc (compatibles...), but the answers were no.
>
>Information about unix and the ibm pc would be appreciated. In
>particular;
>
> 1 Does such a system exist?

Yes, SCO markets Xenix 86 which runs on 8088 based PCs.  This is a very
complete Unix implementation, and SCO is to be commended for it's valiant
effort to provide Unix to PC users.  I believe there
are also other Unix based OSs (Vnix, Qnix, ..., ?) that run on PCs.

> 2 Is there a public domain version?

Not to my knowledge (IXNU, GNU, ?).  You may be thinking of UUPC which is a PC
based implementaion of the UUCP networking system.

> 3 Who are the software vendors?

You can reach The Santa Cruz Operation at (408) 425-7222.  Prices
start around $600 I believe.

UUPC is in the public domain.  As such, it is available from many
public access BBSs and archive sites.

> Thank You.....

Although it is possible to run a Unix-like OS on 8088 based hardware,
its performance is so slow, that is difficult to do anything useful
with it.  If your time means anything to you, consider investing in
upgraded hardware before throwing good money at software that will
rapidly lead you to a stress induced neurosis.

It would have assisted me in repling if you had stated the perpose for
which you intend use Unix on a PC.

Larry Dighera

Disclaimer: These are my opinions.  Others have made a living by selling
	    8088 based Unix applications to small businesses.

UNIX is a trademark of AT&T

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (05/16/88)

In article <1321MLWLG@CUNYVM>, MLWLG@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
> Information about unix and the ibm pc would be appreciated. In
> particular;

It exists and works (sort of).  Get a copy of the March 1986 issue of
UNIX/World magazine for a starter.  There is an article (by me) about
what choices were available at that time.

--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

ccastks@pyr.gatech.EDU (Ken Seefried iii) (05/16/88)

In article <1321MLWLG@CUNYVM> MLWLG@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>I have asked been asking around if anybody knows of a unix system for
>for the ibm pc (compatibles...), but the answers were no.

This Kindof depends on what you want to do....

First, I assume that you are talking about the PC and not the PC/AT....

That said, the answer, techinically, is yes, there is a real unix
availible for the PC (as opposed to a toy or educational system, a la
xinu and minix).  Interactive Systems at one time sold a product called
PC/IX which was a port of System III.  It is real, and apparently does
run (Tannenbaum used PC/IX to write minix).

I don't know if its still availible and I have never used it (or any other
System III product).

I have a lot of respect for Interactive if it does work even a little.
No address space protection, slow as tar machine, etc, etc...

DISCLAIMER: I see nothing, hear nothing, know nothing...and i don't
	work for Interactive.

	ken seefried iii
	ken@gatech.edu

jonl@sco.COM (ScoMole #192-1232A) (05/17/88)

+-I seem to recall MLWLG@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writing:

| I have asked been asking around if anybody knows of a unix system for
| for the ibm pc (compatibles...), but the answers were no.
|  1 Does such a system exist?
|  2 Is there a public domain version?
|  3 Who are the software vendors?
|  4 What are the price ranges?

I am running SCO XENIX 2.1.3 on my 4-5 year old IBM PC. It's not unix,
but it's got shared memory and i enjoy it. I don't know list price offhand,
but i doubt it would be too difficult to find out.

                                                                    jon luini
                                        HFV Productions, Inc. "what?? WHAT?!?"
                                did you know braindead isnt in the dictionary?
                        work: jonl@sco.COM             408-425-7222 x5693
                    nest: ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!niteowl    408-423-2917
				planet: ...ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!falcon
YueyeUYEEUyeEUyeUEyEUyeUEyEUEyEUeyeUeyEUyeEUYUEYuUEYueYeuEYEUeyeUeyEUyeUE

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber) (05/17/88)

>>I have asked been asking around if anybody knows of a unix system for
>>for the ibm pc (compatibles...), but the answers were no.

SCO Xenix86 is a good approximation of UNIX.  I ran it quite
successfully on an ATT 6300 (XT clone, sort of).  You want the
fastest disk you can get.  Changing to a NEC processor (V20 or
V30 as appropriate) helps quite a bit.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
Davis, California 95616
916-752-1636/0776

Internet   ehkinmonth@ucdavis.edu
           cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu
BITNET     ehkinmonth@ucdavis
UUCP       {ucbvax, lll-crg}!ucdavis!ehkinmonth
           {ucbvax, lll-crg}!ucdavis!deneb!cck

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (05/17/88)

I think that Venix will run on a plain PC, or an XT.  It's been a long
time since I've used it (back when it was a port of Version 7....It's
now System V), but I remember it being pretty good.

--Pat.

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/18/88)

In article <1321MLWLG@CUNYVM> MLWLG@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
| I have asked been asking around if anybody knows of a unix system for
| for the ibm pc (compatibles...), but the answers were no.
|
| Information about unix and the ibm pc would be appreciated. In
| particular;
|
|  1 Does such a system exist?
## yes

|  2 Is there a public domain version?
## not really. There is mimix, but it's more educational than a
## serious commercial system.

|  3 Who are the software vendors?
## XENIX	SCO			mostly SysV
## VP/ix	IBM/INteractive		pure SysIII
## Venix	Venturecom		mostly SysV + real time

|  4 What are the price ranges?
## $600-1600 depending on optional packages

|  5 Et cetera.
## PC/ix is dead reliable, and we still have machines using it here.
## It runs fine with 1-2 people and uucp/mail in most cases, although
## you will feel it if you get two people doing CPU intensive stuff.
## Anything on an 8088 will be slow.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)