[comp.unix.questions] ksh book

wb8foz@cucstud.UUCP (David Lesher) (05/17/88)

-
--
Without starting a flame war.....
Just after buying and reading a great book on csh
AND starting to understand it a little, I was forced
by circumstances beyond my control to take up korn shell.
Can anybody recommend a book on it?
-
mail please
{ihnp4}!netsys!cucstud!wb8foz

ram%shukra@Sun.COM (Renu Raman) (05/17/88)

In article <219@cucstud.UUCP> wb8foz@cucstud.UUCP (David Lesher,Guest) writes:
>-
>--
>Without starting a flame war.....
>Just after buying and reading a great book on csh
>AND starting to understand it a little, I was forced
>by circumstances beyond my control to take up korn shell.
>Can anybody recommend a book on it?
>-
>mail please
>{ihnp4}!netsys!cucstud!wb8foz

    No good one yet.  Korn is writing one and presumably to be released by the
    end of summer.

ralph@ralmar.UUCP (Ralph Barker) (05/18/88)

In article <219@cucstud.UUCP>, wb8foz@cucstud.UUCP (David Lesher) writes:
> -
> --
> ... I was forced by circumstances beyond my control to take up korn shell.
> Can anybody recommend a book on it?
> -

UNIX Shell Programming by Kochan and Wood (Hayden Books, 1985)
touches on ksh a bit, as may some others.

The definitive answer, however, is on the way.  Dr. David Korn's book on
ksh is in the final stages of editing and should be out "real soon now."
(Publisher - Prentice-Hall, I believe)

I had the pleasure of reading a pre-release review copy.  Nicely done.
Succinct, but not "underly" terse.  Good ksh programming examples, using a
ksh implementation of the MH mail handler.
--
Ralph Barker, RALMAR Business Systems, 640 So Winchester Blvd, San Jose,CA 95128
uucp: ...{pyramid, sun}!amdahl!unixprt----\ !ralmar!ralph