[net.cooks] camping recipes wanted

kgs@drune.UUCP (SwayzeKL) (08/27/85)

A big favorite of my family for any camping trip is what we call
Tinfoil Trash.  The main advantage is that you don't need to use
the stove in your camper at all.  It does require a campfire.

                Tinfoil Trash

1/4 - 1/2 lb ground beef per person
1 med. potato
1 - 2 carrots
1 sm. onion
salt, pepper and garlic to taste

Form ground beef into a generous patty, cube potato, slice
onions and carrots.  Place all of this on a sheet of heavy
duty foil.  Season to taste.  Wrap everything together in
the foil then turn it over and wrap it again in another layer
of foil.  Make sure it is fairly well sealed.  Place the
package in the coals of your campfire and cook for 30-45 min.
depending on how hot your coals are.  Other vegetables that
would probably work well in this are zucchini, green pepper,
turnips etc.  Remove from the fire and serve.  Enjoy

                              Karen Swayze
                              AT&T Information Systems
                              Denver, CO
                              (303)538-3597

jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) (08/30/85)

How about lentil stew over scalloped potatoes? No refrigeration reqd, it
all comes out of boxes/packets which have instructions on them, but note
that lentils must be soaked for a few hours or boiled for about an hour.
(Since I'm a canoeist, not a hiker, or, God forbid, an RV traveller, the
soaking option is an easy one.)

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (09/04/85)

> How about lentil stew over scalloped potatoes? No refrigeration reqd, it
> all comes out of boxes/packets which have instructions on them, but note
> that lentils must be soaked for a few hours or boiled for about an hour.
> (Since I'm a canoeist, not a hiker, or, God forbid, an RV traveller, the
> soaking option is an easy one.)

I have often had lentils without soaking.  Just dump them in the pot
and simmer for 25-30 min.  Works fine.  A pressure cooker (small ones
are available for camping) can cut the time and fuel used way down.
(But be careful, I've had lentil mush a few times from a pressure
cooker because I let them go for too long.  Like 15 min...)
--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

rob@ctvax (09/10/85)

For a Boy Scout requirement, my son has to cook a meal over a
campfire WITHOUT USING ANY UTENSILS! Do any of you net.chefs
have any good ideas? He'd like something a little more original
that hot-dogs skewered on a stick. (My suggestion of the Olde English
recipe of a hedgehog baked in clay, was met with less than enthusiasm!)

Thanks,
Rob Spray
rob.ct@csnet-relay
...convex!ctvax!rob

reed@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (09/11/85)

With a little care one can boil water in some paper.  Perhaps some
soup?

Dan Reed
University of Illinois
Dept. of Computer Science

render@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (09/11/85)

There are several things which can be cooked without utensils.  A fresh fish
can be cooked by suspending it over the fire on a stick embedded in the ground.
You can cook potatoes or biscuits by wrapping them in foil and burying them in
the coals.  Apples can also be cooked this way, though if you want to stuff
them with brown sugar, raisins, cinnamon and butter (a great combo) you will
have to core the apple.  Check in the boy scout handbook, the fieldbook, or
the manual for the cooking skill award (do they still have that?) for ideas.
I recall that there was a section in one of those books which covered
utensil-less cooking.

                                     Hal Render
                                     {pur-ee, ihnp4} ! uiucdcs ! render
                                     render@uiuc.csnet     render@uiuc.arpa

george@sysvis (09/12/85)

[...]  Ah-ha-ha.  Foiled again.  Re: Camper/Boy(Girl) Scout comestibles
------------------------------------------------.....!ihnp4!sys1!sysvis!ger
Make a double-fist-sized container out of aluminum foil.  Seal all edges with
double or triple folds so that liquids cannot leak out during the cooking
process.  Fill the foil container with 1" cubes of {beef stew meat, onions,
garlic, potatoes, and carrots}.  Vary the quantity of each according to your
own taste.  Season the ingredients with a few (6?) Tbsp. of water, 1 Tbsp. of
butter/margarine, + dashes of salt, pepper, thyme, parsely, & marjoram.  Again,
*SEAL* the foil *TIGHTLY* so that the cooking liquids cannot leak out.  Place
the foil wrapped entree into the coals of a campfire, being very careful *NOT*
to puncture the foil in doing so.  Cover the foil container as much as possible
with the hot coals.  After about 15-45 minutes (depending on the heat of the
fire), remove the container from the fire and enjoy your meal.  One container
should be made for each person as larger containers are hard to manage/seal and
take longer to cook.  In a pinch, eat directly from the foil container.  Change
the meats/vegetables/spices as you prefer.  Chicken, sliced almonds, mushrooms,
& green beans also work well {salt,pepper,paprika,savory,sage} (cooks faster).
At home, use a charcoal broiler or a stove oven to prepare these same dishes.

echrzanowski@watmath.UUCP (Edward Chrzanowski) (09/13/85)

> For a Boy Scout requirement, my son has to cook a meal over a
> campfire WITHOUT USING ANY UTENSILS! Do any of you net.chefs
> have any good ideas? He'd like something a little more original
> that hot-dogs skewered on a stick. (My suggestion of the Olde English
> recipe of a hedgehog baked in clay, was met with less than enthusiasm!)
>
> Thanks,
> Rob Spray
> rob.ct@csnet-relay
> ...convex!ctvax!rob

For a bit of amusement at the campfire.  Your son could make a very tasty
breakfast of bacon and eggs and all he needs is a paper bag.

The process is simple.

First build your fire.  You should have some rocks around the fire
(or also as a base).  Every Boy Scout should now this.

For Bacon all he has to do is choose a hot rock (one that is close to the
fire) and lay his bacon it. To turn it over he could use a pointed stick
or make a wooden fork out of a stick.

For the eggs.  Place two eggs in a paper bag. Fold the top over and attach
to a support over the fire (this can be done using 2 sticks and a rock i.e.
inverted script letter "y").  You can also add salt and pepper if you want.
The eggs provide enough moisture in the bag to prevent the bottom from
burning.  You can also boil water this way.  You can also make toast and
other meals. I think there was an article in a recent Scientific American
(science section in back) that describes these techniques and the physics
behind them.

You can also broil a chicken (or groundhog, or whatever) by putting hot
rocks or charcoal in the centre of the chicken (etc.) and wrapping it
with leaves or bark and burrying it near the fire (so you know where it is) and
waiting.

You can also go natural and make a meal out of the berries and tubers.  But
you have to make sure you know what you are looking for.
--

		ED C
		UUCP:	...!{ utzoo,decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!watmath!echrzanowski

brown@aero.ARPA (Leonard Brown) (09/16/85)

In article <34100009@ctvax> rob@ctvax writes:

>For a Boy Scout requirement, my son has to cook a meal over a
>campfire WITHOUT USING ANY UTENSILS!

BREAKFAST WITHOUT UTENSILS

Ingredients: 1 orange, 2 eggs, 1 packet biscuit dough mix (or 2 refrigerator
            biscuits), bacon.

1. Cut orange in half, scoop out and eat innard without breaking skin.

2. Wind several slices of bacon around end of stick and put into ground so
   they are over the fire.  Keep an eye on them and turn as required (turn so
   that they do not unwrap).

3. Prepare biscuit dought (or get out two refrigerated biscuits).  Prepare
   long, thin tube of dough, wrap around stick (I assume sticks are not
   considered utensils), stick one end into ground so dough is over fire.
   Watch carefully and turn as necessary.

4. Break one egg into each orange skin half, and set on edge of fire.  This
   yields two poached eggs with an orange flavoring.

5. (optional) Fill paper cup to top with water.  Set into fire so it will
   not tip over.  When water boils (no, the paper doesn't burn!) remove
   with tongs, and mix in 1 packet instant oatmeal or grits.

6.  If you timed all this right, everything can be eaten together, except for
   the Orange Appetizer.

And yes, I've done this, and it's a lot of fun and easier than most dinner
menus to cook without utensils.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (09/17/85)

> For a Boy Scout requirement, my son has to cook a meal over a
> campfire WITHOUT USING ANY UTENSILS! Do any of you net.chefs
> have any good ideas? He'd like something a little more original
> that hot-dogs skewered on a stick. (My suggestion of the Olde English
> recipe of a hedgehog baked in clay, was met with less than enthusiasm!)

In addition to hot-dogs on a stick, try 'just about anything else' on
a stick.  Fish, meat, veggies, etc.  For baking, use leaves (edible) to
wrap the stuff up and place it under the ashes and coals for an hour or
so.  To fry, heat up a flat rock in the fire for a couple of hours.
Pull it out and fry on the top.  Greasy stuff (bacon) first, then
other stuff (eggs), while the toast is radiant tosted on a stick and
the potatoes have been baked while heating the rock...

--

figmo@tymix.UUCP (Lynn Gold) (09/19/85)

> For a Boy Scout requirement, my son has to cook a meal over a
> campfire WITHOUT USING ANY UTENSILS! Do any of you net.chefs
> have any good ideas? He'd like something a little more original
> that hot-dogs skewered on a stick. (My suggestion of the Olde English
> recipe of a hedgehog baked in clay, was met with less than enthusiasm!)
>
> Thanks,
> Rob Spray
> rob.ct@csnet-relay
> ...convex!ctvax!rob

Shish-kabobs!  DEFINITELY higher-class than hot dogs, similar cooking
technique.  Just have him pile up bite-sized pieces of meats/veggies
that appeal to him on a skewer or green stick, cook over a fire (using
a marinade or seasonings is optional), and eat!

--Lynn Gold
...tymix!figmo

[I'm a former Girl Scout myself]

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (09/24/85)

> > For a Boy Scout requirement, my son has to cook a meal over a
> > campfire WITHOUT USING ANY UTENSILS! Do any of you net.chefs
> > have any good ideas?
> >
> > Rob Spray
>
> Shish-kabobs!  DEFINITELY higher-class than hot dogs, similar cooking
> technique.  Just have him pile up bite-sized pieces of meats/veggies
> that appeal to him on a skewer or green stick, cook over a fire (using
> a marinade or seasonings is optional), and eat!
>
> --Lynn Gold

Anyone who does this should be *very* careful not to use a poisonous plant
to make the stick.  Choose hemlock and you're a goner.  Probably the best
choice would be a hardwood that is easy to recognize and you know isn't
poisonous (oak, hickory, ash, maple, ...).
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff