[net.cooks] Sugar-free Cookbook Wanted

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (09/11/85)

My husband and I have decided it's time to lay off the sugar for a
while, so we aren't eating *anything* that contains sugar.
Unfortunately, we both like goodies too much, and would like to find a
cookbook for cookies, cakes, pies, brownies, etc, which don't use
sugar--maybe honey or fruit.

I've seen some that use sugar substitutes, but I'm not real crazy
about them.  I'd rather have more natural sweeteners if possible.

Does anyone out there know of a good sugar-free cookbook?  My two-year
old daughter will be immensely grateful.  She's suffering from cookie
withdrawal.

Please send via email.  If anyone cares, I'll post a summary.

--
\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c

                                                       Terry Grevstad
                                         Network Research Corporation
	                 {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry
                                            ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!terry

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) (09/18/85)

In article <250@nrcvax.UUCP> terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) writes:

>My husband and I have decided it's time to lay off the sugar for a
>while, so we aren't eating *anything* that contains sugar.
.
	Sigh. It is with some trepidation that I do this. I know I will
rue this day. What we eat is such an emotional issue. A little learning is
indeed a dangerous thing. Well, I've girded myself - let's get on with it.

	I think one can decide to lay off any part of one's diet whether it
be red meats or anchovies or whatever. That is one's choice. I strongly suspect
that the original article means "lay off the sucrose." The reasons must be
implicit. Sucrose is a disaccharide, of course, and is made up of two
elementary sugars glucose and fructose. When solid sucrose is dissolved in
water, saliva, bile, stomach acid, etc., it hydrolyzes to these simple sugars.
It, then, is no longer sucrose. If, however, the decision was to lay off
sugars, then there is very little else to consume. Starches, of course, are
largely polymeric sugars which hydrolyze rapidly in the body to the simple
sugars including glucose and fructose. Most other foods contain, to some
degree, sugars. What a spartan diet. Vegetables are out. Meats could be
eaten, I suppose.

	If the issue is caloric intake, one should avoid all simple sugars.

>Unfortunately, we both like goodies too much, and would like to find a
>cookbook for cookies, cakes, pies, brownies, etc, which don't use
>sugar--maybe honey or fruit.

	Well, there goes the caloric intake theory.

	Maybe the teeth are suffering. Honey & fruit can form plaque and
nurture decay bacteria also. Hmm.

>I've seen some that use sugar substitutes, but I'm not real crazy ....

	Many recipes rely on the physical characteristics of sucrose for
their proper cooking. The texture and browning (not carcinogenic, of course)
often are dependent on the use of sucrose. It rarely is used solely for
its sweetening qualities.

	OK. Now I'm gonna hit ZZ! [cringe, shudder] ;-}

				Jere M. Marrs
				Tektronix, Inc.
				Beaverton, Oregon
		{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,allegra,hplabs,..}!tektronix!tekgvs!jerem

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (09/18/85)

In article <250@nrcvax.UUCP> terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) writes:
>My husband and I have decided it's time to lay off the sugar for a
>while, so we aren't eating *anything* that contains sugar.
>Unfortunately, we both like goodies too much, and would like to find a
>cookbook for cookies, cakes, pies, brownies, etc, which don't use
>sugar--maybe honey or fruit.

Watch out for "honey or fruit".  Honey is refined sucrose, as is
white sugar, only it was refined by bees instead of humans and
contains lots of wonderful impurities.  Fruit contains fructose,
which is somewhat easier on the system in that it doesn't produce
the same reactions as sucrose, but too much sugar in any form is too much.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

briar@drune.UUCP (MohlerSG) (09/20/85)

There is a cookbook called "Sugar Free, Sweets and Treats"
by Judy Majors.  It's published by Apple Press - $4.95.  If
your local bookstore doesn't have it, you can order the
cookbook from:	Apple Press
		5536 S.E. Harlow,
		Milwaukie, Oregon 97222.
This book has the approval of the Oregon affiliate of the
American Diabetic Association.  There are a lot of good
recipes for people interested in cutting back on their
sugar intake, or for people that can't have sugar.

			Sue Mohler
			AT&T-IS
			drune!briar

slack@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Tom Slack) (09/20/85)

> 	Many recipes rely on the physical characteristics of sucrose for
> their proper cooking. The texture and browning (not carcinogenic, of course)
> often are dependent on the use of sucrose. It rarely is used solely for
> its sweetening qualities.
>
> 	OK. Now I'm gonna hit ZZ! [cringe, shudder] ;-}
>
> 				Jere M. Marrs
> 				Tektronix, Inc.
> 				Beaverton, Oregon
> 		{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,allegra,hplabs,..}!tektronix!tekgvs!jerem

I am glad someone had the guts to post this.
I like to think that the use of sucrose in the
diet is responsible in part for the rise
of western civilization.  It certainly is
coincident with it.

Getting a sugar high is certainly much healthier
than getting an alcohol low.
Excess in anything in one's diet is to be avoided.
Tom Slack

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (09/25/85)

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) says:
>In article <250@nrcvax.UUCP> terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) writes:
>>
>>My husband and I have decided it's time to lay off the sugar for a
>>while, so we aren't eating *anything* that contains sugar.
>.
>	Sigh. It is with some trepidation that I do this. I know I will
>rue this day. What we eat is such an emotional issue. A little learning is
>indeed a dangerous thing. Well, I've girded myself - let's get on with it.

Just to clear things up a bit, Jere (and the rest of you out there who
think I'm stupid for wanting to quit eating sugar), diabetes runs
heavily in my family.  My grandmother and all of her 9 siblings have
it, her oldest son has it and has been blinded by it, and on the other
side of the family, my grandfather has it.  Several doctors have
recommended to me that not eating refined sugar (you know, that grainy
white stuff they manufacture out of sugar cane and sugar beets) might
be one step towards keeping me from getting the family malady as well.

We decided to try it for 6 months or so to see if we could tell any
difference in the way we felt.  It has been one month now, and
actually, I feel much better--but I won't go into that now.

To those of you who simply responded with cookbook ideas, a hearty
thank you.  To the rest of you, why should you care what I want to eat
anyway?