[comp.unix.questions] Lightweight processes Mail News work xinu

seindal@diku.dk (Rene' Seindal) (05/22/88)

What is the definition of  ``lightweight processes'' ?

I know the NeWS system contains something they call lightweight
processes, where they have a process per window, passing messages
forth and back, and I have seen some notes about SunOS4.0, where the
same term was used.

The background for my asking is that I am currently working on getting
Xinu to run in a Unix process.  It is great fun.  My curiosity comes
from the SunOS4.0 note, where the user interface to these lightweight
processes was sketched, and it's apparent functionality had a striking
similarity to Xinu.  (I am not accusing anybody of anything!)

Any information would be appreciated.

thanks

Rene' Seindal, DIKU, U. of Copenhagen, Denmark. (seindal@diku.dk)

libes@cme-durer.ARPA (Don Libes) (05/29/88)

In article <3833@diku.dk> seindal@diku.dk (Rene' Seindal) writes:

>The background for my asking is that I am currently working on getting
>Xinu to run in a Unix process.  It is great fun.

I did this as well.  It was written up in the July/August '87 ;login.
I think Doug Comer and students did this too.  Theirs is called Concurrent C.

Don Libes          cme-durer.arpa      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

ken@gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (05/31/88)

In article <458@muffin.cme-durer.ARPA> libes@cme-durer.arpa (Don Libes) writes:
>In article <3833@diku.dk> seindal@diku.dk (Rene' Seindal) writes:
>>
>>The background for my asking is that I am currently working on getting
>>Xinu to run in a Unix process.  It is great fun.
>
>I did this as well.  It was written up in the July/August '87 ;login.
>I think Doug Comer and students did this too.  Theirs is called Concurrent C.
>
>Don Libes          cme-durer.arpa      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

It better not be...

Nahiran Gehani from AT&T wrote a language called Concurrent C some time
back.  Im sure AT&T holds a nice tight trademark or copyright on the name...

	ken seefried iii	...!{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
	ken@gatech.edu		inhp4, masscomp, rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl,
	ccastks@gitvm1.bitnet	unmvax, ut-ngp, ut-sally}!gatech!ken

	soon to be open: ...!gatech!spooge!ken (finally ;'})