[comp.unix.questions] DEC's suit

ag@elgar.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) (05/27/88)

In article <254@sdba.UUCP> stan@sdba.UUCP (Stan Brown) writes:
>In article <581@tapa.UUCP> larry@tapa.UUCP (Larry Somebody) writes:
>> Please don't forget that DEC was eliminated from an ongoing Air Force bid of
>> some $970mil (If I recall correctly).
>
>	DEC protested the Air Force contract you are talking about
>	because it specifiec SVID.  At the time DEC (I believe) a
>	SVID compliant OS that they were selling to other markets,

Actually, DEC is Ultrix which is BSD, right?  I thought DEC protested
because they were not in the spec (not being SVID compliant).  As I
remember, DEC won.  The government had to leave out the SVID compliant
part of the spec.

>	but wanted to make the point that the Govenmrnt (which can't
>	specicfy vendor specific details) couldn't (in DEC's opinion)
>	specify SYSVID as it was vendor specific.

I seriously doubt that DEC would complain if the contract was in their
favor.

>	If I have ny of this wrong please feel free to correct me.

Ditto.

--Keith
--
[  Keith   ]  UUCP: {ucsd, cbosgd!crash, sdcsvax!crash, nosc!crash}!elgar!ag
[Gabryelski]  INET: ag@elgar.cts.com              ARPA: elgar!ag@ucsd.arpa

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (06/01/88)

DEC protests any government procurement that they don't get
whether they think they have a product or not.  It's really
annoying to those of us that were in the Federal government.

-Ron