[comp.unix.questions] 4.3 BSD Distribution for TK50 on UVAX

jgd@pollux.UUCP (Dr. James George Dunham) (06/01/88)

Several weeks ago there was some discussion on how to create a 4.3 BSD
distribution tape for a TK50 on a UVAX-II. Unfortunately I lost this
information. Would someone please send me this information as I really
do to this soon.
				-Jim Dunham
				jgd@pollux.UUCP

In article <10314@pollux.UUCP>, jgd@pollux.UUCP (Dr. James George Dunham) writes:
> Several weeks ago there was some discussion on how to create a 4.3
> BSD distribution tape for a TK50 on a UVAX-II.  Unfortunately I lost
> this information.

First, make sure you have a 4.3 that supports the uVAX!  The Berkeley
tape we have doesn't support it as-is; in particular, its emulate.s is
badly broken.  I think more recent tapes are better, but can't give
hard facts backing this up.

Given that, writing boot tapes is fairly simple.  All MicroVAXen I've
seen have uda50 disks, and since you are asking for a tk50 boot tape, I
assume it has a tk50 tape.  I have a little standalone program I can
send you which you put at the beginning of a tape, then put a dd of the
desired root partition immediately afterwards, and then you pop the
tape in the drive and boot from it and voila! the root partition is
copied to the disk.  (This program will work with any tmscp tape and
mscp disk, as far as I know - it just copies the second file on the
tape to the beginning of the disk.)  Then of course you boot
single-user from disk and everything's cool.

Of course, doing this requires that you have an existing system with a
tk50 on which you can build the root partition for the new machine and
write the tape.

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu