[comp.unix.questions] aside on patch and context diffs

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (06/06/88)

In article <23142@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>... 'patch' can take a context input but that's irrelevant, it hardly
>needs nor prefers a context diff to my knowledge, it's just being
>accomodating so humans can look at the context diff if something
>botches.

There is another very good reason to use context diffs with patch,
and that is that a one-line change (e.g., fixing a comment) can break
a non-context diff too easily.  (Also, I like to scan the diffs myself
before applying them; it catches a number of bugs handily.)