[comp.unix.questions] Splinter Unix?

lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) (05/18/88)

Sigh!  For those of you who are as behind as I typically am, let me clue you
in on a couple interesting articles which were passed on to me by a friend
here at work (Hi Tom!).

Digital News, May 16, 1988 Front page:

DEC and IBM Ponder Alternate to AT&T Unix.  Olsen says counter to Unix is
possible.

Infoworld, I dont have the date but would guess this or last week - front page:

Alliance to Push AIX-Based Unix.

	IBM, DEC, Apollo, and Hewlett-Packard are set to announce the formation of a
	consortium called the Open Software Foundation to develop an alternate
	Unix standard build around IBM's AIX operating system, according to
	sources close to the companies involved.

	The consortium will be formally announced on Tuesday...

The articles go on to describe this secret alliance coming out of the Hamilton
Groups complaints against Sun and AT&T.

What do you folks think of this "grand" idea of the creation of a third standard
(previously System V and BSD could be considered standards in my estimation)?
What impact will this have on the Posix effort?  On development of portable
code?

Comments, flames, etc?

--
Larry W. Virden	 75046,606 (CIS)
674 Falls Place, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068 (614) 864-8817

res@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Rich Strebendt, AT&T-DSG @ Indian Hill West) (05/18/88)

In article <556@n8emr.UUCP>, lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

> Sigh!  For those of you who are as behind as I typically am, let me clue you
> in on a couple interesting articles which were passed on to me by a friend
> here at work (Hi Tom!).
>
> Digital News, May 16, 1988 Front page:
> DEC and IBM Ponder Alternate to AT&T Unix.  Olsen says counter to Unix is
> possible.
>
> Infoworld, I dont have the date but would guess this or last week - front page:
> Alliance to Push AIX-Based Unix.
> 	IBM, DEC, Apollo, and Hewlett-Packard are set to announce the formation of a
> 	consortium called the Open Software Foundation to develop an alternate
> 	Unix standard build around IBM's AIX operating system, according to
> 	sources close to the companies involved.
> 	The consortium will be formally announced on Tuesday...
>
> The articles go on to describe this secret alliance coming out of the Hamilton
> Groups complaints against Sun and AT&T.
>
> What do you folks think of this "grand" idea of the creation of a third standard
> (previously System V and BSD could be considered standards in my estimation)?
> What impact will this have on the Posix effort?  On development of portable
> code?
>
> Comments, flames, etc?

As an employee of the Data Systems Group of AT&T I must admit a bit of
bias on this topic.  The following comments are my own personal opinion
as an interested observer of the computer business for many years.
This opinion may bear no resemblance to the AT&T Corporate position.

I think it is clear that DEC and IBM are not interested in establishing
a new standard.  Rather, what they would like to do is destroy UNIX as
a viable competitor to their own proprietary products.  Before UNIX
began to emerge as a real threat to their fiefdoms, DEC and IBM pretty
well had their customers locked in to them.  If you had DEC gear, you
ran VMS and depended on DEC for your next generation of hardware.
Similarly, if you were an IBM customer you ran MVS and depended on IBM
(or Amdahl) for your next CPU upgrade.  Granted, I am grossly
oversimplifying here, but I think the flavor of what I am saying is
about right.

Then UNIX made its appearance in a couple of dialects.  Few machines
supported it, and little commercial software was available for it.  It
was essentially an academic playtoy.  AT&T promoted it, and a number of
software houses developed products for it, so it gradually became a
viable product in the commercial marketplace.  Also, many of the
academics who enjoyed playing with UNIX in school became employed
programmers who wanted to buy UNIX systems to do real work with.
Finally, AT&T and Sun got together to merge the two main dialects of
UNIX into a single product.  Now there is a threat of a third real
alternative to the DEC and IBM proprietary systems -- a commercially
supported UNIX which can be run on many different vendors hardware.
This is what DEC and IBM would like to destroy.

As far as POSIX goes, I hope that something useful can come out of that
effort.  However, having observed such bodies in action in the past,
what usually comes out, long after it is needed, is a standard that is
so nebulous and watered down that it is next to useless.  The standards
that have been established as defacto standards tend to be commercial
products (MSDOS, CP/M, etc.) rather than the output of international
standards bodies.  For this reason I have hope that the AT&T/Sun
efforts will really generate an industry standard that software houses
can develop their products for without worrying about the NEXT dialect
that might spring up (like AIX).

As I said earlier, as an AT&T employee I realize that I am biased.  The
personal opinions above, however, are based on over 20 years of being
in the computer industry and having worked with equipment from many
vendors (ranging from a Royal-McBee LGP-30 through Amdahl's biggest
mainframes).

				Rich Strebendt
				...!ihnp4![iwsl6|ihlpe|ihaxa]!res

In article <556@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>What do you folks think of this "grand" idea of the creation of a third standard

It should be obvious what their real motives are.  It must grate to
have to pay AT&T royalties.  It must especially grate DEC, who once
had the chance to acquire exclusive rights to UNIX and weren't
interested.  (We're all better off as it turned out, though.)

Notice that all the vendors in this ploy are ones who were pushing
their own proprietary operating systems and were reluctantly forced
to have a UNIX-based offering because customers demanded it.  Old
mindsets sure die hard.

We sure don't need a DIFFERENT system interface.  A true UNIX clone
would be okay (although it would lag in picking up new developments),
except I doubt they will produce one.

>What impact will this have on the Posix effort?  On development of portable
>code?

It has no impact at all on 1003.1 or the NBS FIPS, which are quite close
to being officially approved.  There could be a small effect on other
1003 subgroups eventually, although 1003.2 is probably far enough along
to be relatively unperturbed.

The effect on portable code is this:

	The AT&T/Sun and AT&T MicroSoft agreements to merge the only
	commercially significant UNIX variants into a single system
	would have made it possible for applications to rely on
	several important features of the merged system that go well
	beyond any official (e.g. POSIX) standards, just as the SVID
	specifies far more than does POSIX at this point.

	It is a rare application that does not need more support from
	the system environment than is covered by (almost-)existing
	POSIX standards.  If the AIX system ends up looking entirely
	unlike AT&T's UNIX system outside the domain specified by
	POSIX, then portable applications will be forced to deal with
	logically unnecessary variations among systems, largely
	defeating the purpose of standards and imposing an economic
	burden on software development.  (Note that this can also be
	construed as a complaint about what is actually accomplished
	by POSIX as it turned out.)

	The emergence of POSIX and in particular the NBS POSIX-based
	FIPS has handed the lawyer types a tool for challenging any
	Federal specification for a SVID-compliant system rather
	than just a minimally FIPS-compliant one.  If RFP writers get
	the help of someone who really understands the practical
	effects of the differences between these two system interface
	specifications, it is possible to accommodate them both and
	ensure that the actual customer needs are satisfactorily met.
	Otherwise, there is considerable risk that the silly rules
	constraining Federal procurement will force acceptance of a
	system that does not satisfy the needs that prompted the
	procurement.  (Yes, many of the rules ARE silly.  They appear
	to have been based on an entirely bogus notion of what
	competition is all about, as well as misguided attempts to
	enforce legitimate concerns for impartiality.)

I get pissed off at companies that prefer to resort to marketing and
legal strategies rather than responding technically.  If they're
really going to develop an alternative operating system instead of
adding value to an established standard one, it should be SIGNIFICANTLY
BETTER than UNIX, not just a small incompatible tweak, or else they're
wasting everyone's time.

(It should be obvious that none of the above is necessarily an
official DOD opinion.  I say this to forestall attempts by the same
losing lawyers to exploit these remarks.)

karish@denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (05/19/88)

In article <7922@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>It should be obvious what their real motives are.  It must grate to
>have to pay AT&T royalties.
It must also grate to have AT&T try to dictate the exact form
of the distributed product, with all the conditions in the SysV.3
licensing agreement.

>We sure don't need a DIFFERENT system interface.  A true UNIX clone
>would be okay (although it would lag in picking up new developments),
>except I doubt they will produce one.
The press release said that the interface will be based on AIX, which
is a port of SysV.2.  IBM is already publicly committed to adding
numerous BSD extensions, and NFS, to AIX.  Is there any indication that
OSF intends to write a complete, incompatible implementation?

>I get pissed off at companies that prefer to resort to marketing and
>legal strategies rather than responding technically.  If they're
>really going to develop an alternative operating system instead of
>adding value to an established standard one, it should be SIGNIFICANTLY
>BETTER than UNIX, not just a small incompatible tweak, or else they're
>wasting everyone's time.
What do you think of the Sun/AT&T decision to keep their code secret
while it's being developed?  I expect that they'll produce a good
system, but others say that the way they plan to do it will give Sun an
unfair marketing advantage (several months) over their competitors
(and uneasy bedfellows).

I speak only for myself.
Chuck Karish	ARPA:	karish@denali.stanford.edu
		BITNET:	karish%denali@forsythe.stanford.edu
		UUCP:	{decvax,hplabs!hpda}!mindcrf!karish
		USPS:	1825 California St. #5   Mountain View, CA 94041

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/19/88)

a) creation of a 4th standard (3rd if they follow posix) shows that
   someone values the stockholders over the users.

b) If they wanted open they could have inputs on real UNIX, as far as I
   can tell. AT&T reportedly offered, and I believe that Motorola and
   someone else took them up on it.

c) when tradeoffs are to be made, are the companies with the biggest $
   going to have the loudest voices?

d) with AT&T trying to merge Xenix and BSD features, and promising to
   conform to posix, and offering source, etc, why is their standard any
   more open than UNIX? Sun has given and/or licensed a lot of their code
   to AT&T and will then license it back like anyone else (so my Sun dealer
   tells me).

e) now that Olsen has died at AT&T, why don't the users form a public
   corporation and buy the UNIX rights from AT&T. Since the profit would
   come from wide acceptance I would expect more concern with the
   portability of the prodect from a company with no hardware to sell than
   from hardware vendors who all want an edge. I respect greed as a motive
   for portability, when someone claims to be acting for the good of the
   user I suspect their motives.

f) In my opinion they're trying to kill UNIX with similar but
   proprietary clones. Like killing flys by releasing sterile males.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (05/19/88)

in article <556@n8emr.UUCP>, lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) says:
> 	IBM, DEC, Apollo, and Hewlett-Packard are set to announce
>       the formation of a
> 	consortium called the Open Software Foundation to develop an alternate
My feeling is that very little that IBM, DEC and Apollo is open.  I am not
the only one I'm sure that ascribes ulterior motives to DEC and IBM ...
(deliberately causing a split and confusion so they can sell more VMS, MVS,
etc boxes).  The announcement is just that an announcement.  We will have to
wait 18 months (by which time Sys V Rel 4.0 will have been out) for this
vaporware.  And it's not clear it will be worth all that much.

The Wall Street Journal had some interesting comments by Bill Gates :"Look
at it this way, Sun is so golden that it forced all these industry giants
to band together against it."

If Gates is right then the Open Software Consortium doesn't help DEC, IBM,
Apollo and HP in the least bit. 1)The Consortium's standard is undefined
as of the moment, 2) 18 months or more will pass 3) they all are on different
architectures 4) they all are competitors and 5) people are buying Suns quite
simply because the machines are a better quality product.  Sun has managed
to do things that IBM/DEC/Apollo seems utterly incapable of ...

Having experienced Apollo's version of "Unix", I'll stick with AT&T...
we don't need another version of Unix especially from three vendors
that had to be dragged into the Unix marketplace ... now there spending
their time trying  to convince people how well they understand Unix marketplace.

....(Mr. Olsen of DEC showed his true feeling about Unix recently with
his "snake oil salesmen" statement.)
-----------------------------
Naturally My Opinions Are My Own and NOT those of the Boeing Company.

In article <21387@labrea.STANFORD.EDU> karish@denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
>It must also grate to have AT&T try to dictate the exact form
>of the distributed product, with all the conditions in the SysV.3
>licensing agreement.

Oh, BS.  I checked the licensing and sublicensing agreements and had
no qualms about our signing them, nor have several genuine vendors.
You're probably referring to the clause that says that the software
provided under the source code provisions (in effect, AT&T's UNIX
trademark) will not be applied to a product that does not meet their
published specifications.  That seems eminently reasonable to me;
as a CUSTOMER, I want to know that what I'm getting will meet my
needs.  Vendors who wanted to market any old thing regardless of its
properties could still do so under the previous sublicensing
agreement (which we also signed).

>Is there any indication that OSF intends to write a complete,
>incompatible implementation?

Is there any doubt that that is what will happen?  Take STREAMS,
including RFS, for example.  It is rather hard to implement this
extremely important post-SVR2 feature simply from the non-proprietary
specifications (at least from those of which I am aware) without
introducing SOME degree of incompatibility with AT&T-based
implementations.

>... others say that the way they plan to do it will give Sun an
>unfair marketing advantage (several months) over their competitors
>(and uneasy bedfellows).

Seems to me the noisy vendors had plenty of time to work out a
similar deal with AT&T.  Is it unfair for a company that sees a
need and works to meet it to gain a competitive advantage thereby?
I think not.  (By the way, I don't know that they really will.)
Or is "fair" supposed to mean that companies who haven't contributed
to the development of UNIX are supposed to parasitically reap rewards
from it?  They should count themselves lucky that people even buy
their systems after they spent years attempting to lock customers
into their proprietary product lines.  I agree fully with the fellow
who sees the AIX ploy as an attempt to destroy UNIX as an open system.
Let's hope they get what they deserve, which is loss of sales to other
vendors who offer "common UNIX" with value added.

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (05/19/88)

In article <2949@ihlpe.ATT.COM> res@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Rich Strebendt, AT&T-DSG @ Indian Hill West) writes:

>I think it is clear that DEC and IBM are not interested in establishing
>a new standard.  Rather, what they would like to do is destroy UNIX as
>a viable competitor to their own proprietary products...............

>Granted, I am grossly oversimplifying here, but I think the flavor of what
>I am saying is about right.

    I think you have hit the nail on the head!  Those who develop on a UNIX
based system right now will not be affected.  If I use DEC hardware and they
will no longer support UNIX, then I'll move to something else that does.  What
DEC and IBM are trying to do is stem the tide of people switching from their
proprietary operating systems to UNIX by confussing them on the existence of
a single UNIX standard.  IBM has even more to loose than DEC in the PC market
where they want people to go with OS/2.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (05/19/88)

Let me preface this with the mandatory disclaimer: this *definitely* does
not reflect the views of MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.

In article <7922@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <556@n8emr.UUCP> lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>>What do you folks think of this "grand" idea of the creation of a third
>>standard?
>It should be obvious what their real motives are.  It must grate to
>have to pay AT&T royalties.

I don't think this has *anything* to do with their real motives.  If this
were the case, this would have kicked off long ago.

>Notice that all the vendors in this ploy are ones who were pushing
>their own proprietary operating systems and were reluctantly forced
>to have a UNIX-based offering because customers demanded it.  Old
>mindsets sure die hard.

All of the *American* vendors in this movement *so far* are ones who
were pushing their own proprietary operating systems.  There are no
computer systems vendors of long standing *at all* who have been on
a UNIX platform for any significant length of time (i.e., close to
10 years).  AT&T was not a systems vendor, and Sun is an upstart as
well, albeit a very successful one.

Why is it if you're DEC, when you merge features of System V and BSD
and add some of your own, you're evil violators of a standard, but if
you're Sun and do exactly the same thing, you're the masters of an
emerging standard?  This Joy-o-centric view of the universe is a
travesty.

>We sure don't need a DIFFERENT system interface.  A true UNIX clone
>would be okay (although it would lag in picking up new developments),
>except I doubt they will produce one.

What *is* a UNIX clone?  Something that will keep in sync with
whatever geegaw AT&T and Sun dream up *this* year?  Why should they be
allowed a position of control?  If a portable operating system is to
be a standard, it must be *built* by a body committed to a standard,
not by a profit-making entity whose motives are suspect.  When AT&T was
essentially a research body in the world of operating systems, this
role was appropriate for it.  Now that it is a competitor, it is
unacceptable.

And as for the subject of the lag:  this may be trivial off in hacker-land,
where people will incorporate code from alpha releases into their local
versions, then re-fit, then re-fit, ad nauseum.  In the real world of
operating system porting, it is inappropriate to ship a port until the
released version of the base product.  If we receive a frozen Sun/AT&T
operating system in July, it may take a vendor anywhere from six to eighteen
months to ship its version, due to product management cycles, QA, etc.
This "lag" which you trivialize would give a definite sales advantage
not to *all* vendors of a "standard" UNIX, but to Sun and AT&T alone.

An illustration of this is NETdisk, or Diskless NFS, or whatever Sun's
calling it these days.  Many of us have been showing code based on a
pre-release of SunOS 3.2 for a year and a half now.  Sun has, in my
opinion, (a) procrastinated the release of this product they were
allegedly offering in the name of "non-competition" until they had
a server product based on SPARC which, while still no great shakes,
would at least stay the defection of the server business to their NFS
licensees, and (b) changed the product, disk layouts, etc. "on the fly"
without freezing the specification until code ship on the 386i, which
will prevent conscientious vendors from shipping a fully-QA'd product
based on a frozen specification until 6 to 18 months from Sun's FCS.

And as for "lagging in picking up new developments": since my thesis is
that AT&T has no business in the standards game at all, its new developments
are no more important or useful than anyone else's, and should not need to
be "picked up".

>>What impact will this have on the Posix effort?  On development of portable
>>code?
>
>It has no impact at all on 1003.1 or the NBS FIPS, which are quite close
>to being officially approved.  There could be a small effect on other
>1003 subgroups eventually, although 1003.2 is probably far enough along
>to be relatively unperturbed.
>
>The effect on portable code is this:
>
>	The AT&T/Sun and AT&T MicroSoft agreements to merge the only
>	commercially significant UNIX variants into a single system
>	would have made it possible for applications to rely on
>	several important features of the merged system that go well
>	beyond any official (e.g. POSIX) standards, just as the SVID
>	specifies far more than does POSIX at this point.

...And POSIX and its follow-ons are the *only* standards that matter at
all, because they are developed as standards should be.  We cannot have
our competitors ramming their ad hoc "standards" down our throats.

>	It is a rare application that does not need more support from
>	the system environment than is covered by (almost-)existing
>	POSIX standards.  If the AIX system ends up looking entirely
>	unlike AT&T's UNIX system outside the domain specified by
>	POSIX, then portable applications will be forced to deal with
>	logically unnecessary variations among systems, largely
>	defeating the purpose of standards and imposing an economic
>	burden on software development.  (Note that this can also be
>	construed as a complaint about what is actually accomplished
>	by POSIX as it turned out.)
>
>	The emergence of POSIX and in particular the NBS POSIX-based
>	FIPS has handed the lawyer types a tool for challenging any
>	Federal specification for a SVID-compliant system rather
>	than just a minimally FIPS-compliant one.  If RFP writers get
>	the help of someone who really understands the practical
>	effects of the differences between these two system interface
>	specifications, it is possible to accommodate them both and
>	ensure that the actual customer needs are satisfactorily met.
>	Otherwise, there is considerable risk that the silly rules
>	constraining Federal procurement will force acceptance of a
>	system that does not satisfy the needs that prompted the
>	procurement.  (Yes, many of the rules ARE silly.  They appear
>	to have been based on an entirely bogus notion of what
>	competition is all about, as well as misguided attempts to
>	enforce legitimate concerns for impartiality.)

The point is that SVID-compliant programs cannot at the moment *be*
FIPS-compliant.  This is not a problem with the FIPS, but with SVID.
Pure and simple, System V is a work of prior art which should now be
adjusted to adhere to FIPS, as a superset.

>I get pissed off at companies that prefer to resort to marketing and
>legal strategies rather than responding technically.  If they're
>really going to develop an alternative operating system instead of
>adding value to an established standard one, it should be SIGNIFICANTLY
>BETTER than UNIX, not just a small incompatible tweak, or else they're
>wasting everyone's time.

They are *incapable* of adding value to an established standard operating
system, because there is no such thing.  System V is a widely used but
proprietary system whose development and marketing constraints cannot
help but leave other system vendors behind AT&T and Sun chronologically
in the release of versions.  This is wholly inappropriate for a "standard".

The realization that UNIX is a two-headed beast, the world's only
"proprietary" "standard" with people who actually like it that way
(unlike the IBM PC, etc., which many accept but only grudgingly), has
finally reached critical mass.  If a portable operating system product
can be developed by OSF that will support AIX and Ultrix applications,
be available at the same time to all of its members, and conform to
POSIX and its follow-ons, it will be a far more appropriate product
for the marketplace than your alleged "standard", the AT&T-Sun proprietary
operating system.

AT&T could have headed this off long ago, by opening all future development
efforts to a consortium approach, instead of blessing Sun as their saviour
in the marketplace, then trying to convince the world that Sun's having access
to signed-off code a year before the rest of the world will either (a) have
no effect on their business, or (b) be a good thing.

--
Roger B.A. Klorese                           MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!rogerk  25 Burlington Mall Rd, Suite 300

In article <7932@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <21387@labrea.STANFORD.EDU> karish@denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
>>Is there any indication that OSF intends to write a complete,
>>incompatible implementation?
>
>Is there any doubt that that is what will happen?  Take STREAMS,
>including RFS, for example.  It is rather hard to implement this
>extremely important post-SVR2 feature simply from the non-proprietary
>specifications (at least from those of which I am aware) without
>introducing SOME degree of incompatibility with AT&T-based
>implementations.

Are we still talking about an open standard?

>>... others say that the way they plan to do it will give Sun an
>>unfair marketing advantage (several months) over their competitors
>>(and uneasy bedfellows).
>
>Seems to me the noisy vendors had plenty of time to work out a
>similar deal with AT&T.  Is it unfair for a company that sees a
>need and works to meet it to gain a competitive advantage thereby?

No.  I'm sure that the Sun/AT&T product will be a good one, and they
deserve to profit from their efforts.  Their competitors, however,
can't afford to base their business strategies on what Sun might or
might not deliver to them.  Perhaps my use of the word `unfair' was
misunderstood; I meant it to apply to the metaphorical game I'd just
described.

I think it's tragic that it's impossible to make real improvements to
Unix without making big hunks of it proprietary, but that's the way our
economic system works.

>I think not.  (By the way, I don't know that they really will.)

If they don't, they won't be doing their jobs, and their stockholders
should hold them to account.

>Or is "fair" supposed to mean that companies who haven't contributed
>to the development of UNIX are supposed to parasitically reap rewards
>from it?  They should count themselves lucky that people even buy
>their systems after they spent years attempting to lock customers
>into their proprietary product lines.

IBM and DEC are probably EACH now putting more resources into Un*x
development than is the Sun/AT&T combine.  AT&T hasn't sold cheap UNIX
licenses for altruistic reasons; they get a lot of free engineering
done in universities, by customers who could never have afforded
full-price software.  The development of UNIX as an open system took
place during a period when AT&T was prohibited by law from promoting
it as a proprietary product.

I appreciate the engineering aesthetics and the
ethics of the people who created UNIX, and I hope to see those
traditions carried on.  Those are the values of the engineers, however,
not of the corporations.

>I agree fully with the fellow
>who sees the AIX ploy as an attempt to destroy UNIX as an open system.
>Let's hope they get what they deserve, which is loss of sales to other
>vendors who offer "common UNIX" with value added.

What the heck is "common UNIX"?  Note that the phrase contains a
trademark owned by AT&T.  Getting back to my earlier point, any element
of an open standard must be reproducible from publicly available,
written specifications.  It's possible to do NFS that way.  It's
possible to do PostScript that way.  If AT&T wants to keep streams as a
proprietary extension, fine.  The customers will decide whether it's a
critical selling point.

You may wish to consider the added value in the AIX product before
you assume that it will be inferior, either technically or in the
marketplace.  As has been the case with AT&T's UNIX,  the software
product may have a bigger impact than will the machines it's
meant to run on.

rogers@ofc.Columbia.NCR.COM (H. L. Rogers) (05/20/88)

In article <2949@ihlpe.ATT.COM> res@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Rich Strebendt, AT&T-DSG @ Indian Hill West) writes:

>As an employee of the Data Systems Group of AT&T I must admit a bit of
>bias on this topic.  The following comments are my own personal opinion

I am probably biased also, since my employer was one of the Hamilton group,
but I like to think I keep an open mind on this topic.

>I think it is clear that DEC and IBM are not interested in establishing
>a new standard.  Rather, what they would like to do is destroy UNIX as
>a viable competitor to their own proprietary products.

It is not that clear.  The other OSF partners are not small potatoes.
They *will* have a say in the outcome.

What response would you expect from a group of vendors who have come to
depend upon Unix for a good part of their business?  V. Cassoni
instilled no confidence that Unix would remain open as a result of the
Sun/AT&T alliance, and Kavner don't know what going on yet.  A wise sage
coined the phrase "Actions speak louder than words."  AT&T/Sun have
spoken with their actions; IBM/DEC/HP/et al have spoken with theirs.
Only time will give us the true winner.  If, during that time, the
proprietary OS software increases its lifetime, so what?  There will
be plenty of business for the benefactors of the winning open system:
applications developers and customers, and there will also be plenty
of business for the proprietary stuff.  I don't think the open systems
companies fear the proprietary stuff.  Both co-exist at many companies,
and both have their own niche.
--

------------
HL Rogers    (hl.rogers@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM)

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (05/20/88)

In article <10892@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>b) If they wanted open they could have inputs on real UNIX, as far as I
>   can tell. AT&T reportedly offered, and I believe that Motorola and
>   someone else took them up on it.

"Inputs" is not the only issue.  Frozen code deliverable under terms that would
not give AT&T and/or Sun a time-to-market advantage, and not optimized for
any pre-selected and proprietary hardware base, is another, at least as
important, issue.

>d) with AT&T trying to merge Xenix and BSD features, and promising to
>   conform to posix, and offering source, etc, why is their standard any
>   more open than UNIX? Sun has given and/or licensed a lot of their code
>   to AT&T and will then license it back like anyone else (so my Sun dealer
>   tells me).

...with them keeping time-to-market advantage.  Besides, OSF's standard
is more open because it's not cooked up in a closed-door lab and handed
to licensees after the fact.

>e) now that Olsen has died at AT&T, why don't the users form a public
>   corporation and buy the UNIX rights from AT&T. Since the profit would
>   come from wide acceptance I would expect more concern with the
>   portability of the prodect from a company with no hardware to sell than
>   from hardware vendors who all want an edge. I respect greed as a motive
>   for portability, when someone claims to be acting for the good of the
>   user I suspect their motives.

Because AT&T doesn't want to sell those rights to anyone, but rather,
protect its investment in offering the only platforms which will be UNIX
on day one of release, namely their own products and those developed by
their soon-to-be-subsidiary, Sun Microsystems.

--
Roger B.A. Klorese                           MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!rogerk  25 Burlington Mall Rd, Suite 300
rogerk@mips.COM                                     Burlington, MA 01803
I don't think we're in toto any more, Kansas...          +1 617 270-0613

decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) (05/20/88)

Obviously, as an HP employee, I may be biased.  However, I would like
to clear up what I see as some erroneous assumptions about the
Open Software Foundation.  These are my opinions, not necessarily HP's.

> It should be obvious what their real motives are.  It must grate to
> have to pay AT&T royalties.

This is certainly one of the motives, but is not nearly the primary one.

> We sure don't need a DIFFERENT system interface.  A true UNIX clone
> would be okay (although it would lag in picking up new developments),
> except I doubt they will produce one.

OSF declares itself to be a standards selection and implementation
consortium, not a standards generating body.  Almost of the standards
OSF embraces are non-proprietary ones such as POSIX, X/Open, NBS POSIX FIPS
and the rest of NBS's Applications Portability Profile, X-windows,
and ANSI C.

> >What impact will this have on the Posix effort?  On development of portable
> >code?
>
> It has no impact at all on 1003.1 or the NBS FIPS, which are quite close
> to being officially approved.  There could be a small effect on other
> 1003 subgroups eventually, although 1003.2 is probably far enough along
> to be relatively unperturbed.

It has a positive impact on the use of all these, since these companies
are now strengthening their support of these open standards, and as such
de-emphaiszing their dependence on proprietary defacto standards such as
System V.  The OSF enables members to respond faster to these developments,
and in a more consistent manner throughout the industry.

> The effect on portable code is this:
> 	It is a rare application that does not need more support from
> 	the system environment than is covered by (almost-)existing
> 	POSIX standards.  If the AIX system ends up looking entirely
> 	unlike AT&T's UNIX system outside the domain specified by
> 	POSIX, then portable applications will be forced to deal with
> 	logically unnecessary variations among systems, largely
> 	defeating the purpose of standards and imposing an economic
> 	burden on software development.  (Note that this can also be
> 	construed as a complaint about what is actually accomplished
> 	by POSIX as it turned out.)

Note that X/Open's Portability Guide started with SVID functionality and
covers a much larger range of functionality than SVID or POSIX, that
NBS APP covers some different areas than X/Open, and that OSF has plans
to expand their set of included standards further.

> I get pissed off at companies that prefer to resort to marketing and
> legal strategies rather than responding technically.

Who is not responding technically?  What's wrong with marketing and legal
strategies? What is "Application Binary Interface"?  A marketing strategy.
Marketing consists of assessing customer needs and finding ways to meet them.
Unfounded marketing hype is deplorable, but I've not seen any examples
of that with regard to OSF.

Also, I believe it is unfair to complain that OSF has not "responded
technically" when it's two days old.  On what basis have you decided that
it will not generate excellent techincal solutions?

> If they're really going to develop an alternative operating system instead
> of adding value to an established standard one, it should be SIGNIFICANTLY
> BETTER than UNIX, not just a small incompatible tweak, or else they're
> wasting everyone's time.

What leads you to believe that "just a small incompatible tweak" would be
what OSF will be developing?

Dave Decot
Hewlett-Packard Company

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (05/20/88)

In article <556@n8emr.UUCP>, lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:

> Sigh!  For those of you who are as behind as I typically am, let me clue you
> in on a couple interesting articles which were passed on to me by a friend
> here at work (Hi Tom!).
>
> Digital News, May 16, 1988 Front page:
>
> DEC and IBM Ponder Alternate to AT&T Unix.  Olsen says counter to Unix is
> possible.

Sigh was my first comment too.  Then I talked to a person at Apollo and
at least see why it is happening.  (This is basically info that will be
in my September column of MicroSystems Journal but that's a long wait.)
Anyway, the claim is that AT&T and Sun are off making the ultimate version
of UNIX while the other vendors just watch.  Once the AT&T/Sun development
is done, they will release the standard to the world.  From a marketing
point of view, AT&T and Sun will have a working product to sell and all
the rest of the industry running around attempting to get caught up.

The alternative, called Open Software Foundation involves a whole bunch of
vendors (about 9 so far) and they are doing joint development on the
standard and the code.  The best thing that could happen is that AT&T and
Sun could say, "Ok, you win" and join in.

--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (05/20/88)

   From: "Rich Strebendt, AT&T-DSG @ Indian Hill West" <res@ihlpe.att.com>

   Then UNIX made its appearance in a couple of dialects.  Few machines
   supported it, and little commercial software was available for it.  It
   was essentially an academic playtoy.  AT&T promoted it, and a number of
   software houses developed products for it, so it gradually became a
   viable product in the commercial marketplace.  Also, many of the
   academics who enjoyed playing with UNIX in school became employed
   programmers who wanted to buy UNIX systems to do real work with.
   Finally, AT&T and Sun got together to merge the two main dialects of
   UNIX into a single product.  Now there is a threat of a third real
   alternative to the DEC and IBM proprietary systems -- a commercially
   supported UNIX which can be run on many different vendors hardware.
   This is what DEC and IBM would like to destroy.

You left out what *really* made UNIX popular: Berkeley.
But then, you *did* say you were biased :-)

As for OSF, they should give their money and machines to the FSF.

				   Rich Strebendt
				   ...!ihnp4![iwsl6|ihlpe|ihaxa]!res

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	My name is in /usr/dict/words. Is yours?

jerry@xroads.UUCP (Jerry M. Denman) (05/20/88)

Concerning the proposed coop effort of IBM, DEC, HP, Apollo and others to
start their 'own' Unix.

Personally I cannot blame them if you look at their reasoning.

AT&T and Sun go to bed together 'read sign agreement'
Rumor mills say they may make Unix 'propriatary'

AT&T recently narrows licensing agreement (execpt IBM &DEC who refused to
sign)

I cannot blame the other players for being concerned.

My opinion is that it is a power play to loosen AT&T and Sun's relationship
to inluce other vendors.

Jerry

Eat a live toad for breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you the rest
of the day.
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 \/   (602) 971-2240

In article <342@mipseast.mips.COM> rogerk@mipseast.mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
>If a portable operating system product
>can be developed by OSF that will support AIX and Ultrix applications,
>be available at the same time to all of its members, and conform to
>POSIX and its follow-ons, it will be a far more appropriate product
>for the marketplace than your alleged "standard", the AT&T-Sun proprietary
>operating system.

I've been developing applications for this standard environment for
years, and as you put it I "like it that way".  It was even worth the
trouble of implementing a SVID-compatible environment for BSD-based
systems when vendors failed to provide one.

POSIX, on the other hand, was so weakened in an attempt to accommodate
vendors' existing implementations (including AT&T's and DEC's) that it
failed, in my opinion, to provide a sufficiently specific portable
application platform.  I will STILL have major porting problems going
between POSIX-conforming systems that I do NOT have when moving code
among SVID-based systems (not that the SVID is perfect, but it's a
more USEFUL standard than POSIX).  Note that I am NOT saying that
POSIX should have rubber-stamped the SVID, but it should have been at
least as "crisp".

If POSIX had been more radical, for example fixing obvious problems
in existing UNIX implementations (including AT&T's), it could have
been a useful "neutral" standard that I could support as a total
replacement for the SVID (at least in those areas that are covered
by both standards), insofar as application needs are concerned.  As
it stands, I think I'll have to continue to use the SVID as my working
UNIX-environment specification.  The only likely impact POSIX will
have for my applications will be the few small changes to the SVID
that AT&T has committed to in order to accommodate POSIX, and the
addition of a handful of new routines such as sigaction().

Vendors who supply just POSIX, or just POSIX plus non-SVID compatible
vendor-specific extensions, will find me not recommending their
systems for local acquisition.  I cannot afford the added application
software development overhead.

The above is, as always, not necessarily an official DOD position.

In article <10650027@hpisod2.HP.COM> decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) writes:
>What leads you to believe that "just a small incompatible tweak" would be
>what OSF will be developing?

Because it is constrained by NBS POSIX FIPS compatibility to remain
mostly like UNIX (thus the "small tweak") and is not constrained by
the SVID (thus "incompatible").

I may shift to Plan 9, if it ever becomes available.  UNIX seems to
have gotten stuck once it became commercially successful.

mlandau@bbn.com (Matt Landau) (05/20/88)

In comp.unix.questions (<1228@ssc.UUCP>), fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>The alternative, called Open Software Foundation involves a whole bunch of
>vendors (about 9 so far) and they are doing joint development on the
>standard and the code.  The best thing that could happen is that AT&T and
>Sun could say, "Ok, you win" and join in.

Actually, this may be the worst thing that could happen.  In some sort of
Platonic Ideal world, the idea of completely equal input in design and
implementation would be great.

In the real world, however, there are numerous examples of what happens
why you try design-by-committee, and it just doesn't seem to work very
well.  I cannot see how these 9 companies, historically competitors, each
with its own private interests and agenda, are going to manage to prodcue
anything reasonable in a realistic amount of time (especially given that
AT&T has the entire existing body of System V and SunOS code to work from,
while OSF seems like it has to start essentially from scratch to avoid the
possibility of a lawsuit for copyright infringement.)

It's really too bad that AT&T couldn't satisfy the Hamilton Group's desire
for resonable licensing terms and equal *access* to (as opposed to equal
*input* on) the SysVR4 work.  Then they could have let AT&T and Sun do a
good job on the core development and concentrated their own efforts on adding
value for their particular machines and applications.

Oh, well, it looks like we're gonna be stuck with the SysV versus 4BSD schism
all over again.  *Sigh*
--
 Matt Landau	       Let not a man glory in this: that he loves his country.
 mlandau@bbn.com        Let him glory rather in this: that he loves his kind.

guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (05/21/88)

> Because AT&T doesn't want to sell those rights to anyone, but rather,
> protect its investment in offering the only platforms which will be UNIX
> on day one of release, namely their own products and those developed by
> their soon-to-be-subsidiary, Sun Microsystems.

I assume you don't mean "wholly-owned subsidiary" here; the AT&T/Sun contract
constrains them not to buy > 20% (or maybe 25%) unless somebody *else* tries to
take Sun over.

The "soon-to-be-subsidiary" is pure speculation; could *all* sides please try
to improve the tone of this debate by refraining from speculation as much as
possible?  I suspect I could come up with several mutually-contradictory
speculations about any of the parties on any side of this debate, all of which
could, by a selective look at the data, sound completely believable.

One could certainly assume that AT&T and Sun plan to restrict UNIX to their
platforms as much as possible (given that both AT&T and Sun have 80386-based
machines, of course, this means that '386 machines would be among those
platforms).

One could certainly assume that the OSF plans to "confuse" the marketplace to
keep it from choosing UNIX (given that HP seems to sell its non-UNIX OS
completely separately from their UNIX systems, I very much doubt that HP sees
this as the goal; I won't make any claims about the others because I'm sure,
for example, that *somebody* would flame bitterly either if I said DEC was
firmly behind UNIX *or* if I said DEC didn't care about UNIX).

One could also assume that the Trilateral Commission and the Bavarian
Illuminati are responsible for the assassination of <fill in a public figure
here>.

By and large, little of the discussion I have seen on this issue - from *any*
side - has contributed much light, although it's contributed its share of heat.
My attitude towards it is best summarized by Chance the gardener's line from
*Being There* - "I like to watch."

louis@auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) (05/21/88)

In article <345@mipseast.mips.COM>, rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
     [much analysis of OCF omitted]

> Because AT&T doesn't want to sell those rights to anyone, but rather,
> protect its investment in offering the only platforms which will be UNIX
> on day one of release, namely their own products and those developed by
> their soon-to-be-subsidiary, Sun Microsystems.
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Where did you pick up that rumor?  That just doesn't seem to conform
to the style of Sun.  Has anybody any further info on such a move?
--

Louis Schmittroth		           My employer has no opinions.
Computer Science

chasm@killer.UUCP (Charles Marslett) (05/21/88)

In article <7932@brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn@brl-smoke.UUCP writes:
> In article <21387@labrea.STANFORD.EDU> karish@denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
> >Is there any indication that OSF intends to write a complete,
> >incompatible implementation?
>
> Is there any doubt that that is what will happen?  Take STREAMS,
> including RFS, for example.  It is rather hard to implement this
> extremely important post-SVR2 feature simply from the non-proprietary
> specifications (at least from those of which I am aware) without
> introducing SOME degree of incompatibility with AT&T-based
> implementations.

So we blame IBM for acting legally?  Or we tell them they have to
copy someone else's code, in the distant future, and pay for it to
boot?  The statements are true, or at least I see no reason to doubt
them, but life is hard.  We live it the real world and I see no reason
for IBM to sacrifice its market share, and improvements it may see fit
to make to UNIX (S5R2) just so we can have one true Unix.  Why not let
IBM develop S5R4, and throw out "STREAMS" . . . or better yet, let Apollo
and IBM in on the design stage.

> >... others say that the way they plan to do it will give Sun an
> >unfair marketing advantage (several months) over their competitors
> >(and uneasy bedfellows).
>
> Seems to me the noisy vendors had plenty of time to work out a
> similar deal with AT&T.  Is it unfair for a company that sees a
> need and works to meet it to gain a competitive advantage thereby?
> I think not.

As a matter of fact it is not unreasonable (I don't like the word "unfair")
for a company that sees a market need to benifit from satisfying it.  And
as a matter of fact it appears that is exactly what IBM, et al., are doing --
Sun and AT&T are going off and designing their own neato Unix, offering the
world the option of taking a free ride a year or so later (more or less) and
the rest of the world declined.  They will serve their own markets, produce
(more or less) ANSI/IEEE compatible Unix-like products and we'll see an
interesting variety of operating systems.  Each granting its own vendor
some competitive advantage.

Is this for the best?  We certainly will not see an MSDOS or OS/2 kind
of portability of software, but we may see more rapid improvement of the
tools of our trade.  Ask me next year.

And yes, they had plenty of time to make the same deal -- and they were
not able (or willing) to.  I am not privy to what Sun and AT&T negotiated,
but that deal is EXCLUSIVE so if IBM had made the deal SUN WOULD BE JUST
AS OUT IN THE COLD AS THE 7 GIANTS ARE.  So AT&T is the culprit if there
is one.  AT&T created this state of affairs (incompetently or deliberately,
it doesn't really matter).

> Or is "fair" supposed to mean that companies who haven't contributed
> to the development of UNIX are supposed to parasitically reap rewards
> from it? ...

I find it a bit irritating that anyone would think my buying a product
and then trying to use it is "parasitic" in any sense.  Or does this
imply Apollo and IBM are not legally licensing Unix?

>           They should count themselves lucky that people even buy
> their systems after they spent years attempting to lock customers
> into their proprietary product lines.  I agree fully with the fellow
> who sees the AIX ploy as an attempt to destroy UNIX as an open system.

And the various enhancements Sun has provided are not proprietary?  None
have been posted to the net, none are submitted to Stallman for inclusion
in GNU and (to the best of my knowledge) Sun would sue me if I ported them
over to my Atari (-:).  As far as the idea of open systems go, I find
System V no more an open system than AIX (or MSDOS or OS/360 for that matter)
-- it is totally defined and controlled by AT&T, we may propose changes or
oppose changes, but the owner, author, and final authority is one company:
AT&T.  POSIX and perhaps GNU are open systems, and as I understand it IBM
is committed to implementing POSIX (AT&T is not).

> Let's hope they get what they deserve, which is loss of sales to other
> vendors who offer "common UNIX" with value added.

And again, is "common UNIX" defined?  Is it what Sun and AT&T call it?
And what value can you add, when you have to play catch up with a secretly
developed standard.  (In case you haven't got the point, I like publicly
established standards like POSIX much better than private ones, and I would
be even more vitrolic about a standard developed in secret by one of my
competitors -- and a vendor with whom I am now finding myself in competition).

Perhaps this is more the reverse, we have two companies trying to establish
a proprietary operating system and deny the fact by calling it "common UNIX".

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.UUCP
STB Systems, Inc.
[#include standard_disclaimer.h]

david@dhw68k.cts.com (David H. Wolfskill) (05/21/88)

In article <10892@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>f) In my opinion they're trying to kill UNIX with similar but
>   proprietary clones. Like killing flys by releasing sterile males.

There is a certain amount of precedent for that, just within IBM alone
(at least, as far as IBM's actions seem to indicate -- I have absolutely
no "inside information" about what goes on inside IBM, nor am I certain
that I would want any).

IBM has (at various times) made different (incompatible, to various
degrees) flavors of UNIX available on several of the machines it
makes.  Indeed: in spite of the (fairly) recent announcement from IBM to
the effect that AIX was to be the standard IBM port of UNIX, there is a
product (available only to the academic community, to the best of my
knowledge) called "IBM/4.3" that is (you guessed it) a port of 4.3BSD.

I would say IBM has done a fair job of promoting the "splintering" of
UNIX all by itself -- and (more to the point) of encouraging the
mindsets that "there are lots of different -- incompatible --
implementations of UNIX out there" and that "there's no software out
there for UNIX."

I rather mistrust IBM's involvement with UNIX.
--
David H. Wolfskill
uucp: ...{trwrb,hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!david	InterNet: david@dhw68k.cts.com

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (05/21/88)

in article <1228@ssc.UUCP>, fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) says:
> In article <556@n8emr.UUCP>, lwv@n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>
> Sigh was my first comment too.  Then I talked to a person at Apollo and
> at least see why it is happening.  (This is basically info that will be
As if Apollo is an unbiased entity.  Hey, these are the guys that are all
ways telling me I should be using Aegis...;-(

> is done, they will release the standard to the world.  From a marketing
> point of view, AT&T and Sun will have a working product to sell and all
> the rest of the industry running around attempting to get caught up.
For sometime now Apollo has been in excess of 8 to 18 months behind Sun
with regards to Unix...(in my opinion ... i use both machines) ... they
still as of today (SR9.7) have a discombobulated version of Unix...that's
a *long* time to show no particular proficiency in porting Unix to their
machine....

> The alternative, called Open Software Foundation involves a whole bunch of
> vendors (about 9 so far) and they are doing joint development on the
Most of them are a predictable lot of "closed systems" people...the last
people I would trust.
> standard and the code.  The best thing that could happen is that AT&T and
> Sun could say, "Ok, you win" and join in.

I think that would be the *worst* thing that could happen for Unix.
Besides why should they??????  We have been living with System V and
Berkeley for some time... here is another schism....big deal....i can't
imagine the Open Software Foundation coming up with anything better
than what we already have....I like what I am seeing going into Sys 5 Rel 4..
X11/NeWS, NFS,RFS, a fair amount of Berkeley, Open Look user interface,...

What does the Open Software Foundation have to offer...no NeWS, i didn't see
NFS or RFS on their list, all they had was DECwindows, NCS, X11 ... not a wit
about Sun/AT&T stuff ....

Open Software Foundation = Open Software Fraud

--------
Naturally My Opinions are my own.

lvc@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lawrence V. Cipriani) (05/21/88)

Original poster names munged ...
> >e) now that Olsen has died at AT&T, ...
>
> Because AT&T doesn't want to sell those rights to anyone, but rather,
> protect its investment in offering the only platforms which will be UNIX
> on day one of release, namely their own products and those developed by
> their soon-to-be-subsidiary, Sun Microsystems.

What does Olsens death have to do with this?

From "The Wall Street Journal", pg 8 col. 4 - (reprinted w/o permission)

"AT&T Suggests It May Spin Off Effort On Unix System to Allay Industry Fears"

"American Telephone and Telegraph Co. might some day spin off development and
licensing efforts of its Unix computer operating system to assuage industry
concerns that they give AT&T advantages in developing Unix computers.

"Such a spinoff isn't a possibility now, said Robert Kavner, president of
AT&T's Data Systems Group, but "at some point in the future we could put
ownership (of Unix efforts) in other people's hands."

The remainder of the article talks about OSF and AT&Ts efforts in the
computing business.  Other comments from Kavner about UNIX were included.

I was very suprised when I read this, I'll be even more suprised if it
happens.  I don't agree that this is best for AT&T, but it will definitely
help the UNIX industry overall.  Please read the whole WSJ article, if you
can, before commenting.

--
Larry Cipriani, AT&T Network Systems and Ohio State University
Domain: lvc@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

In article <13868@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, lvc@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
> From "The Wall Street Journal", pg 8 col. 4 - (reprinted w/o permission)
>"AT&T Suggests It May Spin Off Effort On Unix System to Allay Industry Fears"
Oops.  That was from the Friday May 20th edition.

--

In article <4137@killer.UUCP> chasm@killer.UUCP (Charles Marslett) writes:
>...  We live it the real world and I see no reason
>for IBM to sacrifice its market share, ...

A company is not entitled to a "market share"; it needs to earn it.
As a customer I do not see AIX as a separate line of development as
helping me in any way.

>System V no more an open system than AIX (or MSDOS or OS/360 for that matter)
>-- it is totally defined and controlled by AT&T, we may propose changes or
>oppose changes, but the owner, author, and final authority is one company:
>AT&T.

It's their property, after all.  UNIX System V is indeed "open" in
several practical senses; it is available for licensing at reasonable
rates, and it has a fairly complete portable interface specification.
In fact I can obtain that interface for virtually all the computers
around here, and we have a lot of them from a wide variety of vendors.
I cannot say that of "a future implementation of AIX".

>POSIX and perhaps GNU are open systems, and as I understand it IBM
>is committed to implementing POSIX (AT&T is not).

POSIX is not a system at all, but a (not yet complete) series of
system interface specifications.  GNU seems irrelevant to me.

AT&T most certainly HAS said that they will adapt their system to
fully comply with POSIX requirements (at least 1003.1; I was there).

>And again, is "common UNIX" defined?  Is it what Sun and AT&T call it?

Fine with me.  Rather that than what IBM calls it.  As I've said, I
need a common application support environment that is "good enough".
I do not need several somewhat different ones, even if they are
"slightly better".

These hardware vendors remind me of automobile manufacturers, although
instead of negotiating with gasoline producers to meet their needs
(for example, higher detergent content to accommodate fuel injectors)
as is done by actual automotive companies, this batch would prefer to
set up their own refining company.  Those of you who made the mistake
of purchasing a diesel automobile during the "fuel crisis" probably
realize why this is not a good solution from the customer's point of
view.

I have yet to hear any praise for the OSF idea from the customer
population (as opposed to the system vendors).

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (05/22/88)

In article <647@auvax.UUCP> louis@auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) writes:
>In article <345@mipseast.mips.COM>, rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
>> Because AT&T doesn't want to sell those rights to anyone, but rather,
>> protect its investment in offering the only platforms which will be UNIX
>> on day one of release, namely their own products and those developed by
>> their soon-to-be-subsidiary, Sun Microsystems.
>        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Where did you pick up that rumor?  That just doesn't seem to conform
>to the style of Sun.  Has anybody any further info on such a move?

I didn't say "wholly-owned subsidiary", you see.  AT&T has rights to buy
up to 20% of Sun's stock.
--

karish@denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (05/22/88)

In article <1938@ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:
>What does the Open Software Foundation have to offer...no NeWS, i didn't see
>NFS or RFS on their list, all they had was DECwindows, NCS, X11 ... not a wit
>about Sun/AT&T stuff ....

If they start with what IBM has in AIX now, or is currently adding to it,
they'll have NFS, Distributed Services (IBM's file sharing system), and
many extensions picked up from BSD Unix.  In terms of features, next
year's AIX probably won't differ all that much from System V.4.

Performance?  Compatibility?  We'll have to wait and see, won't we?
On both sides; we don't know how Sun will integrate Berkeley features
into the one true UNIX.

In article <8161@dhw68k.cts.com> david@dhw68k.cts.com (David H. Wolfskill)
writes:
>IBM has (at various times) made different (incompatible, to various
>degrees) flavors of UNIX available on several of the machines it
>makes.  Indeed: in spite of the (fairly) recent announcement from IBM to
>the effect that AIX was to be the standard IBM port of UNIX, there is a
>product (available only to the academic community, to the best of my
>knowledge) called "IBM/4.3" that is (you guessed it) a port of 4.3BSD.

The ports of 4.2 and 4.3 to RTs are essentially vanilla Berkeley
UNIX, not IBM products.  They were distributed to encourage
development for the RT platform, and to get IBM involved in UNIX
research in the universities.  IBM donated the machines (RTs)
for that research.

I suspect that 4.2A and IBM/4.3 were not released to the world outside
the universities specifically to AVOID presenting two incompatible
products to their customers.

Is it any less valid for IBM to maintain a distinct internal version
of UNIX than it is for AT&T to use Version 9 while they distribute
System V?

jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) (05/23/88)

in article <3173@pdn.UUCP>, reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) says:
>     I think you have hit the nail on the head!  Those who develop on a UNIX
> based system right now will not be affected.  If I use DEC hardware and they
> will no longer support UNIX, then I'll move to something else that does.  What
> DEC and IBM are trying to do is stem the tide of people switching from their
> proprietary operating systems to UNIX by confussing them on the existence of
> a single UNIX standard.  IBM has even more to loose than DEC in the PC market
> where they want people to go with OS/2.

I must admit I'm a little confused as to the basic argument by the
Hamilton group as to AT&T/Sun having a competitive advantage because
Unix will be optimized for their equipment (or whoever markets a SPARC
based product).

I always thought there were two predominant Unix standards, System V and
BSD. I thought all BSD development was done on VAXen, hence all other
vendors other than DEC had to port BSD to their own machines. So DEC had
some competitive advantage because _if_ BSD was optimized to run on
_anything_, it must have been VAXen. I also seem to recall that AT&T
started distributing System V only for their 3Bx machines, so _if_
System V was optimized to run on _anything_, it must have been 3Bx
systems.

Yet I seem to see an awful lotta vendors porting System V and/or BSD to
their boxes, and instead of whining about competitive advantages, they
were happy that they didn't have to develop a proprietary operating from
scratch for their machine, something that would have been a major
investment.

I don't understand the difference here. Seems to me as long as the
firm hasn't fired their Unix people, and hasn't thrown away their
optimizing C compiler, then their main disadvantage is that they may
not be privvy to work under development. Were they before? If so, then
its a real issue, but its still something that can be negotiated. All
of this posturing is generating more heat than light, and it may just
accomplish what DEC and IBM may want: a weakening of the proponents for
Unix. It sure as heck is making my job harder. I want to buy machines
that run one version of Unix. If that means I don't buy from DEC and
IBM, that is unfortunate, but so be it.

--
John Sloan, The SPOTS Group    Wright State University Research Building
CSNET: jsloan@SPOTS.Wright.Edu  3171 Research Blvd., Kettering, OH 45420

pavlov@hscfvax.harvard.edu (G.Pavlov) (05/23/88)

 Of course, we should now also see the creation of OPCF, e.g., Open PC Founda-
 tion.  OS/2 could benefit from some openness.  IBM would probably decline to
 join, but perhaps the weight of AT&T and Sun would offset some of the loss..

 greg.

stan@sdba.UUCP (Stan Brown) (05/23/88)

> In article <7922@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
> >It should be obvious what their real motives are.  It must grate to
> >have to pay AT&T royalties.
> It must also grate to have AT&T try to dictate the exact form
> of the distributed product, with all the conditions in the SysV.3
> licensing agreement.
>
> >We sure don't need a DIFFERENT system interface.  A true UNIX clone
> >would be okay (although it would lag in picking up new developments),
> >except I doubt they will produce one.
> The press release said that the interface will be based on AIX, which
> is a port of SysV.2.  IBM is already publicly committed to adding
> numerous BSD extensions, and NFS, to AIX.  Is there any indication that
> OSF intends to write a complete, incompatible implementation?
>
> >I get pissed off at companies that prefer to resort to marketing and
> >legal strategies rather than responding technically.  If they're
> >really going to develop an alternative operating system instead of
> >adding value to an established standard one, it should be SIGNIFICANTLY
> >BETTER than UNIX, not just a small incompatible tweak, or else they're
> >wasting everyone's time.
> What do you think of the Sun/AT&T decision to keep their code secret
> while it's being developed?  I expect that they'll produce a good
> system, but others say that the way they plan to do it will give Sun an
> unfair marketing advantage (several months) over their competitors
> (and uneasy bedfellows).

	Perhaps what they are trying to do is avoid the long drawn out
	disertations that keep standards comitees tied up in knots for
	years.  Perhaps not but I like to think good things untill
	proven wrong.

--
Stan Brown	S. D. Brown & Associates	404-292-9497
gatech!sdba!stan

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (05/24/88)

In article <10650027@hpisod2.HP.COM>, decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) writes:

> What is "Application Binary Interface"?  A marketing strategy.

In which way?

david@dhw68k.cts.com (David H. Wolfskill) (05/24/88)

In article <21621@labrea.STANFORD.EDU> karish@denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
>In article <8161@dhw68k.cts.com> I wrote:
>>....  Indeed: in spite of the (fairly) recent announcement from IBM to
>>the effect that AIX was to be the standard IBM port of UNIX, there is a
>>product .... called "IBM/4.3" that is (you guessed it) a port of 4.3BSD.

>The ports of 4.2 and 4.3 to RTs are essentially vanilla Berkeley
>UNIX, not IBM products.  They were distributed to encourage
>development for the RT platform, and to get IBM involved in UNIX
>research in the universities.  IBM donated the machines (RTs)
>for that research.

CAVEAT:  I neither speak nor write on behalf of either SHARE, Inc. or
my employer (who shall remain nameless, but who is a member of SHARE).
Of course, I also do neither on behalf of IBM.

Well, I found out about IBM/4.3 at a recent session of a meeting of
SHARE.  (SHARE is a group of users of IBM equipment; as of the time of
that meeting, membership in SHARE was limited to firms that were
running either VM, OS/VS1, or MVS (either MVS/370 or MVS/XA) on an IBM
machine of 370 architecture.  That restriction has just recently been
relaxed to include the "high-end" model(s?) of the s/38, running
whatever it runs, as well.)

IBM has various classifications for the software packages that it makes
available to its customers, under various terms.  Rather than launch
into a discussion about them, suffice it to say that IBM expects money
in return for making IBM/4.3 available to a customer; based on that
(admittedly loose) interpretation, I would call it a "product."  I would
not claim that IBM developed IBM/4.3 "from scratch," certainly; in that
sense, it is not something that is an IBM invention.  Nevertheless,
there was indeed a presentation about it from an "IBMer" to a group of
users of IBM equipment.

>I suspect that 4.2A and IBM/4.3 were not released to the world outside
>the universities specifically to AVOID presenting two incompatible
>products to their customers.

That may well be a contributing factor; I still perceive (what seems to
me to be) an appearance of duplicity in IBM's actions.

>Is it any less valid for IBM to maintain a distinct internal version
>of UNIX than it is for AT&T to use Version 9 while they distribute
>System V?

Does AT&T make "Version 9" available to academic institutions -- for a
fee?  I was not aware of such a program, and it is from that perspective
that I recorded my thoughts and observations.

I may, of course, be wrong; after all, I am human....

david
--

jeff@polyslo.UUCP (net.executioner) (05/24/88)

In article <21621@labrea.STANFORD.EDU> karish@denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
>The ports of 4.2 and 4.3 to RTs are essentially vanilla Berkeley
>UNIX, not IBM products.  They were distributed to encourage
>development for the RT platform, and to get IBM involved in UNIX
>research in the universities.  IBM donated the machines (RTs)
>for that research.

	The IBM 4.3 product is not strictly vanilla BSD.  It now supports
	X Version 11, and the CMU Andrew system, including the Andrew
	Distributed file system(vice).  The system now also runs on
	the 6152 Academic System(ps/2 + risc coprocessor), and it has
	been rumored that in the last few month the 6152 has sold better
	than the RT ever did.

>I suspect that 4.2A and IBM/4.3 were not released to the world outside
>the universities specifically to AVOID presenting two incompatible
>products to their customers.

	The original reason the 4.2A was not released to commercial
	customers was that it was developed by Academic Information
	System, an Independent Business Unit of IBM created to sell
	to universities.  The development groups have recently been
	moved from ACIS to the new Technical Computing Systems
	division.  From what I hear they are now selling the 6152 and
	4.3 to commercial customers.

		Jeff Weinstein
		Computer Systems Lab
		Cal Poly State Univ.
		jeff@polyslo.uucp
		ucbvax!voder!polyslo!jeff

larry@tapa.UUCP (Larry Pajakowski) (05/24/88)

Please don't forget that DEC was eliminated from an ongoing Air Force bid of
some $970mil (If I recall correctly).  Being barred from almost a Billion
dollars worth of business is sure going to make the likes of IBM, DEC and HP
take notice.
	Larry
	ihnp4!tapa!larry

ok@quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) (05/24/88)

In article <10650027@hpisod2.HP.COM>, decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) writes:
> What is "Application Binary Interface"?  A marketing strategy.

Maybe, but there is also a very good technical reason: an ABI is actually a
lot easier to define (but still not easy) than a library-level standard.
I have seen two ABI drafts, which impressed me as solid and useful.  With
the aid of such a definition, it would be possible for someone to write a
Lisp compiler and run-time that didn't have a shred of C in them, yet would
still have access to POSIX calls, and would still be portable within that
class of machines.  In particular, a VAX ABI would permit someone to come
up with a new C compiler and library which used a more efficient calling
sequence.  Note that a system which can run applications which conform to
an ABI doesn't have to be able to do anything _else_ with such applications:
there is no need to provide a linker, disassembler, nm, strip, &c which
understands that format.  For example, given an M680x0 ABI, Interactive
Solutions could extend their kernel to run such things without having to
change else in their system, e.g. without having to fully support COFF.

Sounds to me as though everyone wins the ABI game.

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (05/25/88)

In article <21621@labrea.STANFORD.EDU> karish@denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:

>Is it any less valid for IBM to maintain a distinct internal version
>of UNIX than it is for AT&T to use Version 9 while they distribute
>System V?

      Not if their reason for doing so is the same ------>  Research!  While
I was at Bell Communications Research I had the opportunity to work with v8
(the predecessor of v9).  We had it due to grandfather clauses in the Judge
Green matter.  Anyway, it is not release outside of the few organizations
within AT&T who use it and a few universities.  It is the test bed for new
ideas, like Dennis Ritchie's streams i/o back in the early 80's, which may
or may not wind up in the product ---> System V.

      I working on an application where we started development under v8.
However, we quickly ported to BSD-flavored commercial systems.  We never
intended to release our product under v8 mostly because it is not a
supported product and our customers could not have access to it.  We liked
v8 for the software development environment that it coupled with the DMD 5620
terminal (Blit) afforded us.  The vast majority of AT&T employees who develop
under UNIX (there are many who work in the IBM mainframe environments) use
the product ---> System V.

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207
Phone: (813) 530-2376				P.O. Box 2826
						Largo, FL  34649-2826

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (05/25/88)

In article <1938@ssc-vax.UUCP> benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) writes:

>For sometime now Apollo has been in excess of 8 to 18 months behind Sun
>with regards to Unix...(in my opinion ... i use both machines) ... they
>still as of today (SR9.7) have a discombobulated version of Unix...that's
>a *long* time to show no particular proficiency in porting Unix to their
>machine....

     And it is companies like this who will save us all from the terrible
clutches of AT&T and Sun :-) :-)

>Open Software Foundation = Open Software Fraud

      I like this saying!!!!

--

stan@sdba.UUCP (Stan Brown) (05/25/88)

> In article <10650027@hpisod2.HP.COM>, decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) writes:
>
> > What is "Application Binary Interface"?  A marketing strategy.
>
> In which way?

	In the sam way MushDos is a marketing strategy. (IE shrink
	wrap applications).

--
Stan Brown	S. D. Brown & Associates	404-292-9497
gatech!sdba!stan
	"vi forever"

stan@sdba.UUCP (Stan Brown) (05/25/88)

> Please don't forget that DEC was eliminated from an ongoing Air Force bid of
> some $970mil (If I recall correctly).  Being barred from almost a Billion
> dollars worth of business is sure going to make the likes of IBM, DEC and HP
> take notice.
> 	Larry
> 	ihnp4!tapa!larry
	Lets see if we can egt our facts straight here.  As I recall
	DEC protested the Air Force contract you are talking about
	because it specifiec SVID.  At the time DEC (I believe) a
	SVID compliant OS that they were selling to other markets,
	but wanted to make the point that the Govenmrnt (which can't
	specicfy vendor specific details) couldn't (in DEC's opinion)
	specify SYSVID as it was vendor specific.  The result of the
	decsion was that SVID was NOT vendor specific but an industry
	standard.  DEC was NOT bared from biding as long as they met
	the spec.  Instead they took their marbles home & decided they
	didn't want to play if the couldn't set the rules.  This
	situation should change when POSIX becomes a real standard as
	the government has expresed an intent to use it as theilr
	standard spec instead of SVID.

	If I have ny of this wrong please feel free to correct me.

	stan

--

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (05/25/88)

In article <581@tapa.UUCP> larry@.UUCP (Larry Pajakowski) writes:
| Please don't forget that DEC was eliminated from an ongoing Air Force bid of
| some $970mil (If I recall correctly).  Being barred from almost a Billion
| dollars worth of business is sure going to make the likes of IBM, DEC and HP
| take notice.
| 	Larry
| 	ihnp4!tapa!larry

I'm missing something. Why was DEC barred? With BSD4.3, SysVR2 (and R3 I
think) and Ultrix, were they dropped for some reason related to UNIX, or
did they bid a UNIX contract with VMS?
--

In article <254@sdba.UUCP> stan@sdba.UUCP (Stan Brown) writes:
>didn't want to play if the couldn't set the rules.  This
>situation should change when POSIX becomes a real standard as
>the government has expresed an intent to use it as theilr
>standard spec instead of SVID.

Your summary of the history of AFCAC-251 was pretty much in
accord to what I have heard about it.  The issue was indeed
whether requiring SVID conformance as part of the operating
system specification was contrary to government requirements
for open and fair competition in its procurements.  The
finding was that SVID conformance can properly be required,
although "passing SVVS" would not be a proper way to specify
this.

There is no such thing as "the government's standard spec".
Each RFP contains its own set of specifications.  However,
once there is an official POSIX FIPS (Federal Information
Processing Standard), pressure can be applied to require
justification for specifying something other than the FIPS.
FIPS conformance PLUS additional requirements is fairly
easy to justify in many cases.

I could tell you how some Beltway Bandits exploit the
Federal procurement regulations via legal wrangling in
order to obtain contract awards that they could never have
won on technical merit alone, but you probably already know
about this.  It does make it harder to write specs that
ensure that the delivered goods meet the original needs.

The above is purely personal opinion and does not necessarily
reflect any other person's or agency's official position.

harrison@utfyzx.uucp (David Harrison) (05/27/88)

Here is a comment which I haven't seen in the discussion of OSF.
According to my Hewlett-Packard sales rep, HP was the driving force
behind its formation and approached the others about putting this
organisation together.  Their concerns were:
  1.  The time-to-market lag staying with AT&T for all companies
      where "the Sun don't shine".
  2.  The silly SysV.3 licence.
The company apparently agonised over the V.3 licence in particular
before deciding to establish OSF.

Since HP has made a huge committment to UNIX and open standards in
general (as opposed to some other members of the group)  their
motives are probably not trying to kill UNIX in favour of their
own proprietary OS.  Whether the effect of OSF is otherwise or
not, time will tell.  I view the presence of the Europeans as a
positive sign.

And yes, I am very aware that my source is an HP *SALES* rep.
--
David Harrison           | UUCP: {utzoo,ihnp4}!utgpu!utfyzx!harrison |
Department of Physics    | BITNET: HARRISON@UTORPHYS                 |

rbj@icst-cmr.arpa (Root Boy Jim) (05/28/88)

   From: Doug Gwyn  <gwyn@brl-smoke.arpa>

   I could tell you how some Beltway Bandits exploit the
   Federal procurement regulations ...

Gee, Doug, I didn't know Edgewood *had* a beltway :-)

dricej@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson) (06/06/88)

In article <10892@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>a) creation of a 4th standard (3rd if they follow posix) shows that
>   someone values the stockholders over the users.

Companies who do not value their stockholders over their customers soon have
no stockholders.  The only real reason you even want customers is so that they
will make money for the stockholders.

In any case, if this product is so abusive of the users, why should they buy
it?  Why should the companies risk their stockholder's money developing
something that nobody will want?

>b) If they wanted open they could have inputs on real UNIX, as far as I
>   can tell. AT&T reportedly offered, and I believe that Motorola and
>   someone else took them up on it.

I suspect that there is input, and there is input.  I wouldn't be surprised
if Sun had to do a significant amount of ass-licking to get their foot in
the door.  This was done several years ago, of course.

>c) when tradeoffs are to be made, are the companies with the biggest $
>   going to have the loudest voices?

Most likely, but there's always the UN as a counter-example.

>d) with AT&T trying to merge Xenix and BSD features, and promising to
>   conform to posix, and offering source, etc, why is their standard any
>   more open than UNIX? Sun has given and/or licensed a lot of their code
>   to AT&T and will then license it back like anyone else (so my Sun dealer
>   tells me).

I think that the real problems are not with the license, but with the terms
and conditions of that license, as well as the price.  The price has climbed
steadily over the years; my memories are: V7: $28k, 1980 $s, 32V: $40k 1980 $s,
SVR2: $43k 1985 $s, SVR3: $65k 1987 $s.  Note the bit of a ski-jump at the
end.  And these prices are the only ones that matter: the academic prices
are irrelevant for most customers.

>e) now that Olsen has died at AT&T, why don't the users form a public
>   corporation and buy the UNIX rights from AT&T. Since the profit would
>   come from wide acceptance I would expect more concern with the
>   portability of the prodect from a company with no hardware to sell than
>   from hardware vendors who all want an edge. I respect greed as a motive
>   for portability, when someone claims to be acting for the good of the
>   user I suspect their motives.

This assumes, of course, that AT&T will want to sell.  They might, but
the price would need to be on the order of the present discounted value
of the future revenue anticipated to come from Unix.  Since I suspect that
AT&T thinks that Unix is a pretty good product, it anticipates *lots* of
revenue from it in the future.

>f) In my opinion they're trying to kill UNIX with similar but
>   proprietary clones. Like killing flys by releasing sterile males.

May be.  Hasn't the industry been working at this since around 1980?

--
Craig Jackson
UUCP: {harvard!axiom,linus!axiom,ll-xn}!drilex!dricej

jlh@loral.UUCP (The Mad Merkin Hunter) (06/09/88)

In article <581@drilex.UUCP> dricej@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson) writes:
>In article <10892@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>>a) creation of a 4th standard (3rd if they follow posix) shows that
>>   someone values the stockholders over the users.
>
>Companies who do not value their stockholders over their customers soon have
>no stockholders.  The only real reason you even want customers is so that they
>will make money for the stockholders.

I hate to say this, but in my opinion it's because of reasoning like this
that this country is going to hell and large market share is going to the
Japanese.  I mean, I'm sitting here on a $4000 PC tied into a god-knows-
how-much VAX that is in itself part of a networked system of 2 vaxes,
2 primes, lots of suns, and assorted printers, disk drives, etc.  Why
doesn't management sell this stuff and buy us pampered programmers pencils
and paper?  Hell, return on investment for that quarter would skyrocket,
our beloved sharholders could then sell their stock for a tidy profit.
If they are paying attention they could even sell stock short in anticipation
of the crash 6 months down the road due to lost productivity.

Granted, this is an extreme.  But what do you call buying a company with
junk bonds, then selling off the pieces to recover the debt?  How about
management going heavily into debt for no other reason than to make the
company unattractive to takeover moguls?  And what the hell does this
have to do with comp.unix.wizards??

							Jim

--
Jim Harkins