[comp.unix.questions] VT100 emulators

u@isis.UUCP (06/03/88)

Due to a small windfall, I am now able to afford a small computer.
I want to be able to use the system to access the UNIX machines at
school. My budget limit is about $800-900, so I figure on looking at
the following systems: C64, C128, Apple IIx. My question is: what
VT100 emulations are available if any for these machines? If not a
VT100, what about other common terminals? Will they give true 80x24
lines?

					Thanks,

						Richard Neitzel

jbush@ficc.UUCP (james bush) (06/07/88)

In article <10383@udenva.cair.du.edu>, R.@udenva.UUCP writes:
> Due to a small windfall, I am now able to afford a small computer.
> ...  My question is: what
> VT100 emulations are available if any for these machines?

I bought a modem for the C64/C128 (I own a C64).  It had one emulator program
for the 64 and 128, but it also had a vt100 program for the 128 only.
I suspect, however, that there might be another vt100 emulator for the 64.
I am not sure of the modem type, but it was a Commadore modem.
--
James Bush, Ferranti, Houston                         Praise the Lord
Internal address: jbush  extension 5230, mail stop A/3204, room A/3602

stuart@ihlpe.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) (06/08/88)

In article <10383@udenva.cair.du.edu>, R. Neitzel writes:
> Due to a small windfall, I am now able to afford a small computer.
> I want to be able to use the system to access the UNIX machines at
> school. My budget limit is about $800-900, so I figure on looking at
> the following systems: C64, C128, Apple IIx. My question is: what
> VT100 emulations are available if any for these machines? If not a
> VT100, what about other common terminals? Will they give true 80x24
> lines?
Well, They have REAL troubles getting 80 columns, usually.  How about
a Toshiba T1000 Portable - they sell for about $800 mail order, and
you can get some REALLY nice emulators for an (eech) MS-DOS machine.
Heck, Kermit (public domain file-transfer/emulator program) not only
has great VT100, but also a Tektronix 4014 graphics terminal mode -
not bad for FREE.
> 					Thanks,
> 						Richard Neitzel

No problems.  Glad to be of (?) help.

Stu

P.S.  VT is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corp., Toshiba and T100
	are probably trademarks of Toshiba America, MS-DOS probably
	belongs to MicroSoft, and Kermit is a protocol (as well as
	a program) from F. Da Cruz of Columbia University.   (Phew! :-)

"OS/2 - An operating system half the time, or half an operating system
        all the time"

--
Stuart Ericson			USnail:		AT&T Bell Laboratories
USENET: ...!ihnp4!ihlpe!stuart			IH 2H210

goog@a.cs.okstate.edu (GOOG ??) (06/10/88)

In article <10383@udenva.cair.du.edu> R. Neitzel writes:
>Due to a small windfall, I am now able to afford a small computer.
>I want to be able to use the system to access the UNIX machines at
>school. My budget limit is about $800-900, so I figure on looking at
>the following systems: C64, C128, Apple IIx. My question is: what
>VT100 emulations are available if any for these machines? If not a
>VT100, what about other common terminals? Will they give true 80x24
>lines?

I use a C64 with a vt100 emulator on our UNIX machine all the time.  There
are two ways to do it, either check comp.sys.cbm and see if you can get
either of the two vt100 emulators that are being talked about there (one
is Kermit, the other I do not know the name of). Or, you can get a copy of
VIP Terminal and write a terminfo or termcap (depending on which version
of UNIX you run) that eliminates the need for a vt100 emulator.  All of the
mentioned programs will give you 80X24 lines.  In addition, Kermit gives
you Kermit protocol which you may or may not find you need.

Good luck

Steve Koinm                Internet:  goog@a.cs.okstate.edu
124 S. Duncan                         steve@nemo.math.okstate.edu
Stillwater, OK  74078      UUCP: {cbosgd, ihnp4, rutgers}!okstate!goog
Department of Mathematics  Oklahoma State University
All real programs contain errors until proved otherwise, which is impossible.

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (Mike (I'm in love with my car) Meyer) (06/11/88)

In article <10383@udenva.cair.du.edu>, R. Neitzel writes:
< Due to a small windfall, I am now able to afford a small computer.
< I want to be able to use the system to access the UNIX machines at
< school. My budget limit is about $800-900, so I figure on looking at
< the following systems: C64, C128, Apple IIx. My question is: what
< VT100 emulations are available if any for these machines? If not a
< VT100, what about other common terminals? Will they give true 80x24
< lines?

An Amiga A500 + monitor will run you around $900. I've got a PD VT100
emulator that I run all the time (usually leave it running with a biff
behind my working screen when working locally so I get beeped for
mail). I get 80x48 lines, plus mouse support from GNU emacs (that
mimics the mouse support on the mg running on the Amiga). It may
stretch your budget a bit, but the extra functionality is could be
worth it.

	<mike
--
So this is where the future lies			Mike Meyer
In a beer gut belly; In an open fly			mwm@berkeley.edu

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (06/14/88)

in article <3014@ihlpe.ATT.COM>, stuart@ihlpe.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) says:

> In article <10383@udenva.cair.du.edu>, R. Neitzel writes:
>> Due to a small windfall, I am now able to afford a small computer.
>> I want to be able to use the system to access the UNIX machines at
>> school. My budget limit is about $800-900, so I figure on looking at
>> the following systems: C64, C128, Apple IIx. My question is: what
>> VT100 emulations are available if any for these machines? If not a
>> VT100, what about other common terminals? Will they give true 80x24
>> lines?

The C64 won't give you a real 80 column display; it's only capable of doing
320x200 pixels, so you're stuck with a maximum of 40x25 using 8x8 characters,
though some terminal emulators give you 80x24 or 80x25 by creating very thin
characters.  Not something I'd recommend for long term use.

The C128 has a built-in 80 column display that'll give you nominally 80x25
characters using an 8x8 cell.  It hooks up to a standard IBM style RGBI
(4 bit digital --> 16 colors) color monitor or a monochrome composite monitor.
Some folks have managed to squeeze 760x600 or so pixels out of the C128 80 column
display in interlace mode, but that's too flickery for normal telecom use.

The C128 and C64 have the advantage of being able to use the dirt cheap Commodore
1670 1200 baud modem.  This comes with a VT100 emulator for the C128 which isn't
perfect, but is currently being fixed at Commodore.  The disadvantage of
either machine is that they don't work well beyond 1200 baud; the C128 might
do 2400 OK with the right terminal emulator, but the C64 can just about handle 1200.

I don't know much about the Apple II series these days, though you can get real
close to an Amiga500 + Monitor + Modem for around $1000.  It can use just about
any monitor and any RS-232 modem.  There are at least two freely-redistributable
VT100 emulators which are good enough to run GNUmacs, uEmacs, VN, and CCalc
without a hitch.  I think the one called HandShake passes the complete VT100
test suite that was posted hereabouts a year or two ago.  All Amigas can give
you a fair 80-90 column display, which 25 lines non-interlaced or 50 lines
interlaced (some folks don't mind this interlace flicker, some do).  There are also
more sophisticated and free telecom tools for the Amiga, like a VT200 emulator
and some serial-line networking tools.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy