[comp.unix.questions] afio

ins_anmy@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Norman Yarvin) (06/16/88)

In article <4449@killer.UUCP> jlg@killer.UUCP (J L Gomez) writes:
>I've compiled the afio program but do not how to use it with the
>UNIX-PC's floppy disk drive.  I know how to use cpio but using the same
>syntax with afio doesn't work.  I need to know how to use the -i, -o, and
>-t options of afio.  The floppy disk drive name is /dev/rfp021.
>Thanks for the help and info!

The floppy disk is /dev/rfp021 for the raw device (cpio/afio) and /dev/fp021
for the mountable device (mount with "/etc/mount <directory> /dev/fp021";
dismount with "/etc/dismount".)

Afio works out of the box and supports multiple floppies.  It can read
multiple floppies made with cpio (although it complains something is wrong
at the start of each new floppy.)  Its biggest feature (for me) is that it
recovers from errors, instead of dying cpio-style.  As to how to operate it,
the basic options are -i for input, -o for output, and -t for a listing; the
rest of the instructions are in the man page (format with "nroff -man
<man_page> | more").

Good luck!

|				Norman Yarvin				     |
| (seismo!umcp-cs | ihnp4!whuxcc | allegra!hopkins) !jhunix!ins_anmy	     |
| Disclaimer: Johns Hopkins is massively responsible for everything I say.   |