Reason: local mail handler complained as follows
jmail: HuwR -- unknown user or mailbox

-------- rejected letter ---------
Via:        00004001015218/UCL-CS.FTP.MAIL    ; 16 Jun 1988 00:29:19 GMT
Date:       Wed, 15 Jun 88 02:45:40 EST
From:       The Moderator (Mike Muuss) <Info-Unix-Request@arpa.brl>
To:         INFO-UNIX@arpa.brl
Subject:    INFO-UNIX Digest  V5#069
Sender: info-unix-request@uk.ac.ucl.cs.nss

INFO-UNIX Digest          Wed, 15 Jun 1988              V5#069

Today's Topics:
                  4.3BSD & CDC 9720/850 & Emulex UD33
                      Re: AT&T vs. CSS (PC/Tools)
                            SYS V sigset(2)
  WANTED: Best setup for environment using Tandy 1000 and DeskMate II
                      Re: AT&T vs. CSS (PC/Tools)
                              Re: .mailrc
                                Re: afio

From: Norm Strong <strong@tc.fluke.com>
Subject: .mailrc
Date: 14 Jun 88 16:56:17 GMT
Sender: news@tc.fluke.com
To:       info-unix@SEM.BRL.MIL

I would like to put something in my .mailrc file, so that I will automatically
be in the vi editor when I invoke the mail program.  Currently, I have to type
~v every time.  Is there a way to do this?
--

Norm   (strong@tc.fluke.com)

-----------------------------

From: "Stephen A. Mattin" <sam@gsg.uucp>
Subject: 4.3BSD & CDC 9720/850 & Emulex UD33
Date: 14 Jun 88 16:05:36 GMT
To:       info-unix@brl-sem.arpa

We are considering replacing the hard disk drives on our VAX 750
with a CDC 9720/850 (Saber 4) using an Emulex UD33 (Unibus) controller.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried the above drives
and/or controller under 4.3BSD Unix or Mach.  If you are using the drive,
I would also appreciate the default partition table.

We are also considering CDC 9720/1230 disks for use on Sun workstations.
Any experiences using these drives would be helpful.

Please reply by e-mail.  Thanks in advance.

SAM
--
Stephen A. Mattin		UUCP: {decvax,harvard}!gsg!sam
G.S.G., Inc.

-----------------------------

From: Dominick Samperi <samperi@marob.masa.com>
Subject: Re: AT&T vs. CSS (PC/Tools)
Date: 14 Jun 88 13:46:39 GMT
To:       info-unix@brl-sem.arpa

CIn article <36@gnosys.UUCP> gst@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) writes:
C>In article <109@dcs.UUCP> wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
C>> However, in order to have access to BSD source you need a UNIX source license,
C>> which these folks presumably did not have. Also, I would not be surprised
C>> to find out that vi/ex contains large chunks of ed source.
C>
C>at Berkeley, was that ex/vi *is* covered by the AT&T license EVEN THOUGH IT
C>CONTAINS NOT A SINGLE LINE OF CODE FROM ED!!  The fact is that they started
C>by hacking on the ed code, and even though they hollowed the thing out and

I started this discussion, and I'm not sure that the original question is
being addressed: the article said that AT&T won a settlement against CSS
because CSS "used ideas from UNIX." Source code copying may not have been
the issue. The question is: if I develop tools that have the same (or more)
functionality as some of the standard UNIX tools (ls, rm, cpio, tar, etc.),
then can I use the same program names? And if not, can I use the word "UNIX"
in describing the functionality of the tools? Does MKS have a license from
AT&T?

--
Dominick Samperi, NYC
    samperi@acf8.NYU.EDU	samperi@marob.MASA.COM

-----------------------------

From: "David F. Carlson" <dave@micropen>
Subject: SYS V sigset(2)
Date: 14 Jun 88 20:23:46 GMT
To:       info-unix@SEM.BRL.MIL

I have a program in which it is "useful" to have reliable signals,
and therefore I must use sigset(2) (under System Vr3.0).

Problem is that the man pages tell me that when I am in a handler the
signal is automatically set to SIG_HOLD.  SIG_HOLD queues up to 1 occurance
if the signal is again received.  However, I am finding by way of a stack
dump that my signal handler is being entered *again and again* even though
sigset(2) is being used throughout my entire process (for that signal and all
others.)  Of course, the exclusive resource assumed by the signal handler is
locked by a previous entry and deadlock results.  Why is the documented sighold
not stopping further occurances when I am in the signal handler?

Also, a related question:
	How does sigpause(2) differ from pause(2) for waiting?  The man pages
	detail dire consequences for mixing signal(2) and sigset(2) but I see
	little relation between pause(2) and sigset(2).  Is there a hidden hazard
	or is this only a problem of wating within a signal handler itself?

Any help would be appreciated.  Funny how out of date things like Bach's
book are when it is barely 2 years old.

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
 ...!{ames|harvard|rutgers|topaz|...}!rochester!ur-valhalla!micropen!dave

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll

-----------------------------

From: Richard Hoffman <ubiquity@cs.utexas.edu>
Subject: WANTED: Best setup for environment using Tandy 1000 and DeskMate II
Date: 15 Jun 88 01:22:28 GMT
To:       info-unix@SEM.BRL.MIL

I am using a Tandy 1000 and Desk Mate II to access UNIX, and cannot seem to
find an appropriate setting for TERM (or something).  I would like to be
able to use vi, vnews, and all the other wonderful full-screen stuff, but
everything gets real messed up when things get more complicated than "more".
Any advice at all would be appreciated, preferably by mail.  Thanks.
--
Richard Hoffman / 5751 Valkeith / Houston, TX 77096 / (713) 729-5716
  +- / 12166 Metric Blvd., #122 / Austin,  TX 78757 / (512) 823-1822

"Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God's ways to Man." -- ??

-----------------------------

From: Doug Gwyn  <gwyn@brl-smoke.arpa>
Date: 15 Jun 88 02:43:58 GMT
To:       info-unix@brl-sem.arpa

In article <308@marob.MASA.COM> samperi@marob.UUCP (Dominick Samperi) writes:
>if I develop tools that have the same (or more)
>functionality as some of the standard UNIX tools (ls, rm, cpio, tar, etc.),
>then can I use the same program names? And if not, can I use the word "UNIX"
>in describing the functionality of the tools?

Since none of the names "ls", "rm", etc. are trademarks, you may use them.
"UNIX" is a registered trademark of AT&T, so you have to be careful how
you use it.  You should not apply the appellation "UNIX" to your own
products, unless AT&T has granted you permission to do so.  If you wish to
advertise them as "upward-compatible with UNIX* version NN tools", with a
footnote stating the trademark status of "UNIX", then I don't think there
is anything AT&T can do about it.

Since I'm not a lawyer you should verify this before acting on it.

-----------------------------

From: Pete Shipley <shipley@web5h.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: .mailrc
Date: 15 Jun 88 02:45:49 GMT
Sender: usenet@agate.berkeley.edu
To:       info-unix@brl-sem.arpa

In article <4097@fluke.COM> strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) writes:
>I would like to put something in my .mailrc file, so that I will automatically
>be in the vi editor when I invoke the mail program.  Currently, I have to type
>~v every time.  Is there a way to do this?
>--
>Norm   (strong@tc.fluke.com)

learn to use mh instead?

Pete Shipley:
email: shipley@widow.berkeley.edu           Flames:  cimarron@zen.berkeley.edu
       uunet!lurnix!shipley or ucbvax!zen!shipley or pyramid!hippo!peter
Spelling corections: /dev/null                    Quote: "Anger is an energy"

-----------------------------

From: Darryl Baker <dpb@tellab5.uucp>
Subject: Re: afio
Date: 14 Jun 88 22:47:27 GMT
To:       info-unix@SEM.BRL.MIL

In article <4449@killer.UUCP> jlg@killer.UUCP (J L Gomez) writes:
+>I've compiled the afio program but do not how to use it with the
+>UNIX-PC's floppy disk drive.  I know how to use cpio but using the same
+>syntax with afio doesn't work.  I need to know how to use the -i, -o, and
+>-t options of afio.  The floppy disk drive name is /dev/rfp021.
+>Thanks for the help and info!
+>

 could just reprint the manual page but....

 The difference between afio and cpio is  that afio takes the archive file as an argument while cpio you just redirect at the archive.
 So:
	find / -print|cpio -ocB > /dev/rfp021
 Becomes:
	find / -print|afio -o /dev/rfp021
 And
	cpio -iBdvmu[c] < /dev/rfp021
 Becomes:
	afio -i /dev/rfp021
( Note the "c" option is for Ascii headers the default output for afio, but
afio will read all other formats and decipher them without needing any options )

--

End of INFO-UNIX Digest