[comp.unix.questions] .mailrc

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (06/14/88)

I would like to put something in my .mailrc file, so that I will automatically
be in the vi editor when I invoke the mail program.  Currently, I have to type
~v every time.  Is there a way to do this?
--

Norm   (strong@tc.fluke.com)

shipley@web5h.berkeley.edu (Pete Shipley) (06/15/88)

In article <4097@fluke.COM> strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) writes:
>I would like to put something in my .mailrc file, so that I will automatically
>be in the vi editor when I invoke the mail program.  Currently, I have to type
>~v every time.  Is there a way to do this?
>--
>Norm   (strong@tc.fluke.com)

learn to use mh instead?

Pete Shipley:
email: shipley@widow.berkeley.edu           Flames:  cimarron@zen.berkeley.edu
       uunet!lurnix!shipley or ucbvax!zen!shipley or pyramid!hippo!peter
Spelling corections: /dev/null                    Quote: "Anger is an energy"

rrobinson@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Randall W. Robinson) (06/15/88)

in article <4097@fluke.COM>, strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) says:

> I would like to put something in my .mailrc file, so that I will automatically
> be in the vi editor when I invoke the mail program.  Currently, I have to type
> ~v every time.  Is there a way to do this?
> --
>
> Norm   (strong@tc.fluke.com)

Try putting a  'setenv EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi' (or whatever the path
is) in your .login.  This should do it.

Randy

rrobinson@ames.arc.nasa.gov

ljz@fxgrp.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) (06/16/88)

In article <10371@ames.arc.nasa.gov> rrobinson@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Randall W. Robinson) writes:
  in article <4097@fluke.COM>, strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) says:

  > I would like to put something in my .mailrc file, so that I will automatically
  > be in the vi editor when I invoke the mail program.  Currently, I have to type
  > ~v every time.  Is there a way to do this?

  Try putting a  'setenv EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi' (or whatever the path
  is) in your .login.  This should do it.

Nope.  Sorry, but this does *not* do it in any of the [mM]ail programs
I've ever run.  All that does is tell the mail program that when you
type "~e", you should get put into /usr/bin/vi to edit your mail message.

Upon closer reading of the original question, you can see that Mr.
Robinson was asking how he can automatically get put into 'vi' WITHOUT
having to type "~v" (or "~e", I presume).  As far as I know, there is
no way to do this in any of the [mM]ail programs I've seen.  I once
hacked up a private version of Mail to do this exact thing, but I was
at a site that had a BSD source license and I unfortunately was not
allowed to take my source code with me when I left.

If you really need this feature and you aren't totally sold on
[mM]ail, you might wish to investigate the following alternative
mailers: 'elm', 'mush', and 'mh'.

--
  Lloyd Zusman                          UUCP:   ...!ames!fxgrp!ljz
  Master Byte Software              Internet:   ljz%fx.com@ames.arc.nasa.gov

rrobinson@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Randall W. Robinson) (06/16/88)

in article <697@fxgrp.UUCP>, ljz@fxgrp.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) says:

> In article <10371@ames.arc.nasa.gov> rrobinson@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Randall W. Robinson) writes:
>   in article <4097@fluke.COM>, strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) says:
>   >
... and so on ad infinitum

> Nope.  Sorry, but this does *not* do it in any of the [mM]ail programs
> I've ever run.  All that does is tell the mail program that when you
> type "~e", you should get put into /usr/bin/vi to edit your mail message.
>
> Upon closer reading of the original question, you can see that Mr.
> Robinson was asking how he can automatically get put into 'vi' WITHOUT
> having to type "~v" (or "~e", I presume).  As far as I know, there is
> no way to do this in any of the [mM]ail programs I've seen.  I once
> hacked up a private version of Mail to do this exact thing, but I was
> at a site that had a BSD source license and I unfortunately was not
> allowed to take my source code with me when I left.

>   Lloyd Zusman                          UUCP:   ...!ames!fxgrp!ljz

Hmmmm.... Ok,  on both the system here at work and my system at
home the EDITOR var sets the default editor for most of the
operations on these systems.  This may not be the case for all
systems or programs.  The standard mailers on systems really is
one of the exceptions.  If there is another  mailer added to the
system (ie. elm) then it would be picked up by the mailer going
in.

- Lloyd, you might want to reread the the posting.  I, "Mr.
Robinson", did not post the question, I only responed to Norm
Strong's posting.

-- Randy

rrobinson@ames.arc.nasa.gov

ables@hi3.aca.mcc.com.UUCP (King Ables) (06/16/88)

in article <697@fxgrp.UUCP>, ljz@fxgrp.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) says:

> If you really need this feature and you aren't totally sold on
> [mM]ail, you might wish to investigate the following alternative
> mailers: 'elm', 'mush', and 'mh'.

There's also MM from Columbia University which is a Unix version
of the Tops-20 MM mail manager.  It's a very good port (rewrite)
of MM, as well.  It has an option to do the exact thing he's asking
for, to be put directly into an editor to compose a message.

It comes in source form and is available via anonymous ftp from
cunixc.cc.columbia.edu.  You can send mail to bug-mm@columbia.edu
if you can't get it via the internet, I imagine they can work out
a uucp transfer method.

I have nothing to do with MM or Columbia University except being
a very satisfied user of MM.

-king
ARPA: ables@mcc.com
UUCP: {gatech,ihnp4,nbires,seismo,ucb-vax}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!ables