[comp.unix.questions] DEC hardware manuals

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (06/16/88)

In article <1105@unmvax.unm.edu> mike@turing.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell)
writes:
>...  DEC has a competitor for Ultrix, but the response has not been to
>improve Ultrix, it has been to keep hardware manuals secret so UCB
>can't write drivers.

Unless there is a conspiracy of which I am unaware (which is of course
possible), this is not why DEC clings to their hardware documentation
so tightly.  Rather, it is in a (laughably ineffective) attempt to keep
hardware vendors like Emulex from gleaning some of `their' market share.
From my vantage point, the only thing this policy gets DEC is lost
sales, because I recommend against products for which detailed manuals
are not available.

(Ah well: we already have our revenge :-) , as the RISC machines sweep
past DEC while DEC's marketing dithers.  If they had brought out their
RISC [nicknamed Titan, I believe] four years ago, they might have the
lead.)

haugj@pigs.UUCP (The Beach Bum) (06/17/88)

In article <11990@mimsy.UUCP>, chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
> (Ah well: we already have our revenge :-) , as the RISC machines sweep
> past DEC while DEC's marketing dithers.  If they had brought out their
> RISC [nicknamed Titan, I believe] four years ago, they might have the
> lead.)
> --
> In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 7163)

The world is already having their revenge on DEC.  Micros and superMicros
are sweeping way past DEC.  They are losing market share to Sun's and
Apollo's, which are little more than souped up PC's.

As for the Titan, (you did notice the Followup-To:, right? ;-), I had
heard the following rumors: (these are _just_ rumors, remember)

	Venus - superVax - turned out to be the VaxCluster
	Jupiter - new 36 bit machine - got dropped with DECSystem 20
	Titan - Cray-caliber 36 bit machine - dropped same as Jupiter

Did I miss some of the rumors while I was gone???

- John.
--
 The Beach Bum                                 Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                          jfh@rpp386.uucp :SMAILERS

 "You are in a twisty little maze of UUCP connections, all alike" -- fortune

heisterb@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (06/19/88)

/* Written 11:10 am  Jun 17, 1988 by haugj@pigs.UUCP in uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.questions */
/* ---------- "Re: DEC hardware manuals" ---------- */
	Venus - superVax - turned out to be the VaxCluster
/* End of text from uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.questions */

I think Venus was the code name for the 8600.  Which, except for the marketing
people would have been called the 11/790, as that's what the processor type is
in the technical writings.

david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) (06/20/88)

In article <11990@mimsy.UUCP>, chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:

> (Ah well: we already have our revenge :-) , as the RISC machines sweep
> past DEC while DEC's marketing dithers.  If they had brought out their
> RISC [nicknamed Titan, I believe] four years ago, they might have the
> lead.)

But as Ken Olson said recently:

	"RISC is irrelevant"

;-)

--
	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				david@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov	  ARPA

hershman@acf3.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) (06/21/88)

I don't know about how Titan fits in, but my understanding is that
both the Venus and Jupiter projects were failing and some manager was
smart enough to figure out that one project could succeed if the two
were merged.  Given that DEC (Gordon Bell, in particular) had wanted
to kill off the 36 bit line for years for political reasons, that
choice was easy to make.  Alan Kotok and company made the first VAX
which looked like a PDP-10 sans 4 bits -- the VAX-8600 "Venus".

-Ittai

PS: The above is all based on gossip and hearsay mixed with a bit of
    common-sense.  If anyone was there, I'd be interested hearing what
    really happened.

vixie@palo-alto.DEC.COM (Paul Vixie) (06/21/88)

In article <11990@mimsy.UUCP>, chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
> (Ah well: we already have our revenge :-) , as the RISC machines sweep
> past DEC while DEC's marketing dithers.  If they had brought out their
> RISC [nicknamed Titan, I believe] four years ago, they might have the
> lead.)

Maybe so.  DEC WRL has a thing we call a "Titan," and it's RISC, but I
don't know if it was ever planned as a product.  (I've checked with some
folks around here and they've told me that the box is no secret, so I'm
not going to be fired for talking about it.)

We had the name before Dana/Ardent existed, but since it wasn't going
to be a product, the name didn't get trademarked.  Sigh.  So now when I
go out to dinner with friends from Ardent and I tell them the latest
thing I found trying to make X11 clients work on a Titan, they get
confused.  "Oh, the DEC Titan."  "No, the _Titan_.  You work on the
Ardent Titan."  Smiles all around.

Great boxes, though.  I would have recommended to my clients that they
purchase them, back when I was a consultant, except that they aren't a
product and I'd never heard of them before I came here anyway.

Just setting a small part of the story straight.

Disclaimer: just me, folks.
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

shan@mcf.UUCP (Sharan Kalwani) (06/22/88)

In article <7064@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> david@elroy.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (David Robinson) writes:

>But as Ken Olson said recently:
>
>	"RISC is irrelevant"
>
>;-)

I have learned some time ago - Ken Olsen is irrevelant. A lot of things
he says always seem quite the contrary to what DEC ends up doing. As
Barry Shein once eloquently put it "They ought to put him out to pasture".

From what I understood at a recent gathering DEC had in our area,
they already have about 150 systems internally running RISC and
were talking about a January '89 release. What actually happens,
well...your guess is as good as mine ;-).

--
sharan kalwani  ....!{uunet!umix, pur-ee!iuvax, ucbvax!mtxinu}!mcf!shan
internet: shan%mcf.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu         	  shan@mcf.uucp