[comp.unix.questions] Questions on CURSES by Pavel Curtis 1982

greim@sbsvax.UUCP (Michael Greim) (06/23/88)

Hello,
This are again some questions concerning copyright and concerning CURSES.
(Remember, I posted such a question some months ago. Thanks to all
who answered me)
We have received the source of a package called CURSES, which
seems to be a total rewrite of the original (and well loathed)
Berkeley or AT&T CURSES. The author, Pavel Curtis, states in the
headers of the files, that

	This software is copyright (C) 1982 by Pavel Curtis

	Permission is granted to reproduce and distribute
	this file by any means so long as no fee is charged
	above a nominal handling fee and so long as this
	notice is always included in the copies.

	Other rights are reserved except as explicitly granted
	by written permission of the author.

My questions are
1.) Has the status of this software changed since 1982, i.e. is
	it still in the public domain?
2.) Where can I reach Pavel Curtis to ask him for the right to modify
	his source and include his software in any program ?
3.) Why do people use old CURSES with its lots of bugs and inefficiencies, if
	this one is superior, as it seems to be?

Thanks for any answer,
		Michael

PS : I will summarize to the net.

| UUCP:  ...!uunet!unido!sbsvax!greim   | Michael T. Greim                     |
|        or greim@sbsvax.UUCP           | Universitaet des Saarlandes          |
| CSNET: greim%sbsvax.uucp@Germany.CSnet| FB 10 - Informatik (Dept. of CS)     |
| ARPA:  greim%sbsvax.uucp@uunet.UU.NET | Bau 36, Im Stadtwald 15              |
| Phone: +49 681 302 2434               | D-6600 Saarbruecken 11, West Germany |
| # include <disclaimers/std.h>                                                |

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (06/25/88)

In article <522@sbsvax.UUCP>, greim@sbsvax.UUCP (Michael Greim) writes:
> [question on "PD" curses by Pavel Curtis]
>
> My questions are
> 1.) Has the status of this software changed since 1982, i.e. is
> 	it still in the public domain?

Please be very careful here folks.

******** "Public domain" means "absense of copyright" *********

     Put another way, when you put your software in the public
domain, you are giving away >all< of your rights.  Once it is PD,
you cannot put restrictions on it ("commercial use prohibited",
"military use prohibited", "you gotta pay me", etc.).  Public
domain means you are really giving it away.

     If, on the other hand, you wish to retain your rights --
entirely reasonable -- it should be copyrighted.  "Copyright 1988
by me, permission granted for noncommercial use".  This is how
the FSF handles GNU: read the GNU docs -- "GNU is not in the
public domain".

     When we signed up for uunet, part of the netnews source
distribution included an excellent article by Jordan Breslow.  He
is an attorney practicing copyright law and computer law, and he
describes in pretty good detail all of the above plus more.  I'll
send a copy to anybody who asks; if there is enough interest
I'll post it.  It is very enlightening and entertaining reading.

     I wish the moderators of the various sources groups would
examine the PD/copyright status of their submissions and insure
that these terms are not used interchangeably.  I cringe when I
see (for example) the C Users Group have in their "Directory of
PD C source code" say

        "CUG cannot (and will not) distribute software that is
        not in the public domain. ...  When a disk is submitted
	with copyright notices, we try to identify them and
	include them on the outside of distribution disks."

     Maybe I'm just being picky, but it seems that it would
behoove us to find out and be safe.

     Steve

P.S.: I'm not a lawyer and I'm proud of it :-).

--
Steve Friedl     V-Systems, Inc. (714) 545-6442     3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

Nancy Reagan on the Free Software Foundation : "Just say GNU"

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (06/25/88)

In article <522@sbsvax.UUCP> greim@sbsvax.UUCP (Michael Greim) writes:
>3.) Why do people use old CURSES with its lots of bugs and inefficiencies, if
>	this one [Pavel Curtis'] is superior, as it seems to be?

Well, old curses or SysV curses comes with every UNIX system; if you use it
in your source, the source is bound to be compatible.

If you use any kind of a replacement library instead of the standard
distribution, you almost have to distribute that replacement library with
your source.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp@dcs.UUCP                   TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD