[comp.unix.questions] has anybody put $VPATH into mk?

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (06/26/88)

Hi folks,

     We recently got mk from the Toolchest (Hi Andrew!) and
before I go hacking it up too much I want to check with others.
Has anybody added $VPATH to mk?  Make has this very helpful
undocumented feature and I want it here.

     For those unfamiliar with $VPATH, it is a make variable that
provides a colon-separated list of paths to search when looking
for dependencies.  With VPATH set to

        VPATH=/usr/project/include:$INFORMIXDIR/incl ; export VPATH

you can convert:

        foo.o   : foo.h ../include/defs.h ${INFORMIXDIR}/incl/dbtypes.h
into
        foo.o   : foo.h defs.h dbtypes.h

     We like to stick these assignments in the project's .profile;
it really helps keep Makefiles from getting too cluttered.  Has
anybody done this to mk yet?  Will you share it?

     Thanks in advance,
     Steve

--
Steve Friedl     V-Systems, Inc. (714) 545-6442     3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

Nancy Reagan on the Free Software Foundation : "Just say GNU"

rick@pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) (06/26/88)

In article <732@vsi.UUCP> friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>     We recently got mk from the Toolchest (Hi Andrew!) and
>before I go hacking it up too much I want to check with others.
>Has anybody added $VPATH to mk?  Make has this very helpful
>undocumented feature and I want it here.

I think that if you want VPATH, you should've gotten Fourth
Generation Make (newmake?) from AT&T.

--
		Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc.

(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR     (201) 389-8963 (voice, days)
uunet!pcrat!rick (UUCP)			rick%pcrat.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)