[comp.unix.questions] C/IBM

arnold2@violet.berkeley.edu (mchawi) (06/05/88)

now that there are c compilers on big ibms, is there a rush of COBOL->C?...

doit@altger.UUCP (Christian Rohrmueller) (06/14/88)

In article <10565@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> arnold2@violet.berkeley.edu (mchawi) writes:
>now that there are c compilers on big ibms, is there a rush of COBOL->C?...

Yes. It's from RAPITECH SYSTEMS INC. in Suffern , NY 10901
Montebello Corporate Park.

I've never worked with it. Just got some information materials.

Hope that helps,
				   Christian

ubiquity@cs.utexas.edu (Richard Hoffman) (06/16/88)

In article <768@altger.UUCP>, doit@altger.UUCP (Christian Rohrmueller) writes:
> In article <10565@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> arnold2@violet.berkeley.edu (mchawi) writes:
> >now that there are c compilers on big ibms, is there a rush of COBOL->C?...
>
> Yes. It's from RAPITECH SYSTEMS INC. in Suffern , NY 10901
> Montebello Corporate Park.

I think he meant "are a lot of shops trying to convert from COBOL to C?"
rather than "are there COBOL->C conversion tools?".  If so, from what I
have seen in the Oil Industry, the answer is Zip.  The big conversion
contraversy is whether to go from COBOL to PL/I.  Not only are there a lot
of COBOL programs out there, there are a lot of COBOL programmers out
there, who have little interest in learning C and whose managers have
little interest in paying them to do it.

Another problem is that most COBOL programs depend on data types such
as zoned and packed decimal, which are not typically available in C.

As far as automatic conversion goes, I would think that, with the addition
of some packed decimal typedefs and conversion routines, COBOL->C could
be completely automated.  The results would make pretty awful reading,
though.
--
Richard Hoffman / 5751 Valkeith / Houston, TX 77096 / (713) 729-5716
  +- / 12166 Metric Blvd., #122 / Austin,  TX 78757 / (512) 823-1822

"Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God's ways to Man." -- ??

Chuck_M_Grandgent@cup.portal.com (06/17/88)

Having been a manager presiding over a group of software development
folk used to COBOL for years, who were somewhat suddently thrown onto
a UNIX-based development platform, I'd like to throw my two cents in.
My first exposure to COBOL was 12 years ago in college. I hated COBOL
so much I flunked it the first time.  However over many years I grew
to appreciate its strengths in several areas: 1) excellent file handling
capabilities, unmatched by any other language I've encountered
2) excellent self-documenting characteristics due to its English-like
verbosity.  On a System-V platform, we went for Microfocus COBOL, which
I would recommend.  What we DID do, was to port a couple MSDOS "C"
libraries to UNIX and then call them from the COBOL.  This was seen
to be a nice situation.  The libraries did handy data and date/time
conversion stuff, and would've been a pain in COBOL.  The consensus
grew to be that a nice combination of "C" and COBOL got along real
well together.

rbj@cmr.icst.nbs.gov (Root Boy Jim) (06/24/88)

? From: Chuck_M_Grandgent@cup.portal.com

? However over many years I grew
? to appreciate its strengths in several areas: 1) excellent file handling
? capabilities, unmatched by any other language I've encountered
? 2) excellent self-documenting characteristics due to its English-like
? verbosity.

I keep telling people that COBOL is a better language than FORTRAN.
Add to that list 3) good data structuring and 4) nice formatting.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	Careful with that VAX Eugene!

PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (06/28/88)

Both (Root Boy) Jim Cottrell    <rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
and  Chuck_M_Grandgent@cup.portal.com
have recently had the courage to praise COBOL.

I agree with them.  COBOL and Cwere both developed by programmers for p
programmers.  Both have more in them than meets the eye. Both have
short hand ways of saying things -- I like
      SORT FILE
and
      05 WAGES   PIC $*(7).V99.
for example in COBOL
as much as I like
      while (*p++=*q++)
/* if I got it right!*/

or even  MOVE Q TO P
No that must be wrong, its shorter than the above,
its the same length as strcpy(p,q)
and does more...

Another odd thing about the two languages,
both C and COBOL have been used for operating systems and compilers!

Trouble is many people don't learn clever COBOL.
Try
     IF A AND B AND C > 0 SET P UP BY 1
     ELSE..... .
or
splitting the cents and dollars up in a field containing money.

And most important of all -- how do you do exact decimal arithmetic on money
in any language accept COBOL?

(Personally I don't want my wages  suffering floating point round off:-)
Dick Botting
PAAAAAR@CCS.CSUSCC.CALSTATE(doc-dick)
paaaaar@calstate.bitnet
PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET@{depends on the phase of the moon}.EDU
Dept Comp Sci., CSUSB, 5500 State Univ Pkway, San Bernardino CA 92407
Disclaimer: I am an only an egg

gallen@apollo.uucp (Gary Allen) (06/30/88)

In article <16316@brl-adm.ARPA> PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>Both (Root Boy) Jim Cottrell    <rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
>and  Chuck_M_Grandgent@cup.portal.com
>have recently had the courage to praise COBOL.
>
>I agree with them.  COBOL and Cwere both developed by programmers for p
[......]
If COBOL (or for that matter BASIC or FORTRAN) is the answer, I really
don't have any interest in the question!! What a snob, huh?
[......]
>both C and COBOL have been used for operating systems and compilers!
Let me guess, A reverse Polish BASIC interpreter with 80 column input
on punched cards, right?

>Trouble is many people don't learn clever COBOL.
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                    Oxymoronic!!

[.....]
>splitting the cents and dollars up in a field containing money.
>
>And most important of all -- how do you do exact decimal arithmetic on money
>in any language accept COBOL?

Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's. Programming languages are tools; a
particular tool is for a particular purpose. No carpenter would argue
that his hammer was as good as his power saw.

>(Personally I don't want my wages  suffering floating point round off:-)
Neither do I, but accountants have no need for self-documenting device
drivers :-)
>Dick Botting

Gary Allen
Apollo Computer
Chelmsford, MA
{decvax,yale,umix}!apollo!gallen

"Even the finest shoe makes a terrible hat"
  -- Japanese proverb from Bartlett's.

gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (Migration Engineer) (07/01/88)

gallen@apollo.uucp (Gary Allen) writes:

->In article <16316@brl-adm.ARPA> PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
->>Both (Root Boy) Jim Cottrell    <rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
->>and  Chuck_M_Grandgent@cup.portal.com
->>have recently had the courage to praise COBOL.
->>
->>I agree with them.  COBOL and Cwere both developed by programmers for p
->[......]
->If COBOL (or for that matter BASIC or FORTRAN) is the answer, I really
->don't have any interest in the question!! What a snob, huh?
->[......]
-->>>both C and COBOL have been used for operating systems and compilers!
->Let me guess, A reverse Polish BASIC interpreter with 80 column input
->on punched cards, right?

->>Trouble is many people don't learn clever COBOL.
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                    Oxymoronic!!
etc.

    Gary, you made you point, and I agree with it.  COBOL and C are
    designed for different purposes.

    However, your response is rude and obnoxious.  Didn't your parents
    teach you any manners?   Do you think the rest of us enjoy reading
    material like the above?  I don't.  I also don't see why a
    discussion about compilers has to turn into an emotional temper
    tantrum.

					    - gph