[net.cooks] Ceviche

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (08/30/85)

With all the traffic about sushi/sashimi, this recipe for the primary
Peruvian contribution to culinary euphoria seems in order.  Ceviche
(seh - vee' - cheh) is raw fresh seafood marinated in lime juice with
sliced onions and *hot* peppers.  The lime juice "cooks" the flesh
(that is, it denatures the proteins) without toughening it.  There
is a possibility that fish may fall apart if it is cut into too small
pieces or if it is too flakey a variety.  But even if it does disintegrate,
the colloidal suspension can be drunk (spiced up, it's refered to as
"Tiger Milk" and is said to revive the dead or kill the living).
Use only the freshesh sea fish (or scallops or shrimp or squid or ...) a
vailable.

Ceviche

1 lb boneless firm fresh sea fish *
juice of 6-8 limes
2 medium onions, cut into rings as thin as possible
hot peppers/pepper juice to taste
salt to taste (try 1/4 tsp to start with)

Combine the lime juice, onions and peppers in a ceramic bowl (metal will
react with the lime juice and plastic will hold the fish smell forever).
Cut the deboned fish into 1/2" to 3/4" cubes, and add to the juice.  Add
salt and stir well, coating the fish.  Marinate at room temp. for two to
four hours, depending on the fish *, or overnight in the fridge.  The
juice should be milky (not clear) and the fish should be opaque (not
translucent) when ready.  Serve with cold boiled (or baked) potatoes
or yams cut into thick slices, corn nuts, corn on the cob (cut into 1"
disks, boiled and cooled is authentic) and salad.  Drink beer and have
a little shortbread and coffee for dessert.  Serves 2 to 4.

* fish that work well (but may not be used in Peru, but so what?)
	swordfish - great stuff, "cooks" rapidly (1 hour is enough), authentic
	salmon - not typical Peruvian fare, but tastes great!  Takes longer
		to "cook" (say 2-3 hours).  Makes nice contrast with lighter
		fish if you mix varieties.
	halibut - mild and firm, takes about the same amount of time as the
		salmon.  Close to authentic.
	grouper - like halibut (only better if you can get it fresh)
	scallops, shrimp - shellfish take maybe twice as long (4 hours +)
		Authentic.
	squid - cut the body into rings, discard the cuttlebones and the
		beak.  Tentacles can be used for dramatic effect, but not
		advisable if you're trying to initiate a newcomer.
		Authentic.
Nota Bene : If your limes are not acidic enough, the fish will never cook,
so if there is little visible effect after an hour, you may wish to add
a small quantity of white vinegar to increase the acidity (say two or three
tablespoons).
Enjoy,
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

spp@ucbvax.ARPA (Stephen P Pope) (09/13/85)

nemo -- you left the cilantro out of your
Ceviche recipe. Also, here on the west coast, Pacific
red snapper is the most commonly used fish for this
(Not the same fish as East coast snapper!)

steve pope (ucbvax!spp)

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (09/17/85)

> nemo -- you left the cilantro out of your
> Ceviche recipe. Also, here on the west coast, Pacific
> red snapper is the most commonly used fish for this
> (Not the same fish as East coast snapper!)
>
> steve pope (ucbvax!spp)

Right-o.  I consider it optional (you can always add some liquid Ivory (-;)
Nemo
PS : It shouldn't look like raw fish.  The protein should denature (like
egg whites turning from clear to white) and turn from translucent to opaque
white.  Red snapper sounds like it would be super!  (in Florida we used
to get red snapper, which was indeed red, tended to be large, was rather
strong in flavor and had firm texture.  Also we got yellow-tail snapper,
which had some yellowish flesh adjacent to the dark streaks of flesh down
the sides.  It was milder, even sweet, and I can't recommend it highly
enough.)
--

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (09/19/85)

> > Also, here on the west coast, Pacific
> > red snapper is the most commonly used fish for this
> > (Not the same fish as East coast snapper!)
>
> Red snapper sounds like it would be super!  (in Florida we used
> to get red snapper, which was indeed red, tended to be large, was rather
> strong in flavor and had firm texture.
> --
> Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa

As mentioned in the original article, Pacific red snapper is not the same fish
that's called "red snapper" on the east coast.  In the San Francisco Bay Area,
red snapper is one of the cheapest fish available, and is not particularly
wonderful (although it's not bad).
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) (09/23/85)

In article <646@rtech.UUCP> jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) writes:
>> > Also, here on the west coast, Pacific
>> > red snapper is the most commonly used fish for this
>> > (Not the same fish as East coast snapper!)
>>
>> Red snapper sounds like it would be super!  (in Florida we used
>> to get red snapper, which was indeed red, tended to be large, was rather
>> strong in flavor and had firm texture.
>> --
>> Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
>
>As mentioned in the original article, Pacific red snapper is not the same fish
>that's called "red snapper" on the east coast.  In the San Francisco Bay Area,
>red snapper is one of the cheapest fish available, and is not particularly
>wonderful (although it's not bad).
>--
>Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)

Jeff,

	I'm not sure what Rochester was referring to as Florida Red Snapper,
but when I was an impecunious graduate student at Florida State University, I
consumed Red Snapper often and loved it. However, it was a white meat fish
with a very delicate texture lending itself to white wine sauces. The fish,
when caught, has a red skin, but the meat isn't. Florida Red Snapper is related
to the Grouper and the meat is very similar. I have caught them myself in
the Gulf using a seine (they don't like fish hooks).

	I have had Pacific Red Snapper a number of times since I've lived
in Oregon and it's quite good. But, as you say, it's different from that
in the East. I sure do like Pacific seafood!

				Jere M. Marrs
				Tektronix, Inc.
			tektronix!tekcrl!tekgvs!jerem
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

spp@ucbvax.ARPA (Stephen P Pope) (09/26/85)

     California law allows about fifteen varieties of
rock cod (a very common fish) to be sold legally as
"Red Snapper" (presumably those varieties with
reddish flesh).
     Also, I remember reading that the authentic,
East-Coast Red Snapper sometimes contains a weird
parasite that can make you sick for an interval of
six months!!  So, I wouldn't use it in Ceviche!!

steve pope (ucbvax!spp)

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (10/01/85)

>> > Also, here on the west coast, Pacific
>> > red snapper is the most commonly used fish for this
>> > (Not the same fish as East coast snapper!)

I recently made an excellent ceviche with fresh bay scallops.  Yum! Yum!

Peter B