[comp.unix.questions] Rn on a V.3 machine

jsh0@isg300.UUCP (J. Steven Harrison) (06/30/88)

I thought I would ask the net before diving into the code of rn about this
first.

Standard distribution tapes on AT&T V.3 machines with more than 1 drive
sets up the user file system on the second drive with root, swap, etc on
the first drive.

It seems that in the file util.c getwd only works for root on the root
partition (drive 1) without getting the error "getwd:  read error in ..".
If run as root from the second drive as root you get the same error and
if run as any user on the system (that doesn't have uid=0) the same error
also results.

Has anyone already solved this problem??  We are running on AT&T 3B2 600's,
700's and a 4000.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steven Harrison
VP Programming/Support
Information Systems Group Inc.,  San Diego, CA
(619) 234-3405
{nitro!isg100, ucsdhub}!jack!steve

haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) (07/02/88)

In article <4@isg300.UUCP> jsh0@isg300 (J. Steven Harrison) writes:
>It seems that in the file util.c getwd only works for root on the root
>partition (drive 1) without getting the error "getwd:  read error in ..".
>If run as root from the second drive as root you get the same error and
>if run as any user on the system (that doesn't have uid=0) the same error
>also results.
>
>Has anyone already solved this problem??  We are running on AT&T 3B2 600's,
>700's and a 4000.
>--
>Steven Harrison

the trouble seems to be with incompatibilities between the libndir
code which rn was written to use, and the libndir code on USG Unix.

i have doug gywn's posix compatible routines here and rn doesn't
work with them.  the fix was to not use 8-( the libraries and have
getwd() pipe the results of pwd into a buffer.

this has worked since i am now using rn to read news here, as
opposed to vnews which i was using last week.

- john.
--
 Joe Bob Willie                                             Big "D" Oil and Gas
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                            jfh@rpp386.uucp :DOMAIN