[comp.unix.questions] Question about value of a source licence

kratz@dataspan.UUCP (Geoff Kratz) (06/17/88)

Our site is considering getting a source licence, but we need some good reasons
to justify the cost.

We currently have 2 Sun 3/160C's and a Sun 3/180.  We will be getting a
Sun 4/280, 2 Sun 3/60's and 2 Sun 386i/250's in the next few weeks.  However,
when Management found out the cost of a source licence (US$50,000) and
was told how "involved" the licencing is (one with Sun, one with AT&T) they
thought "forget it". (Even the Sun salesperson here suggested we not bother).

What I need to know (from sites that have source licencing) is this: was
the price of the source licence worth it?  I need to know if getting a
source licence will actually pay for itself (ie: we got one and made
$X millions :-) which paid for the licence in N months!) and any other
advantages that having source will bring us, both short-term and long-term.
Money for software-type stuff (things they cannot wrap their hands around) is
tight here, but if I can find enough good reasons, our Management may say
yes.

Please don't suggest dropping some of the new hardware, as we need all the
console and file-server power we can get (Management has come to the
realization that we can get more work done with multiple windows
than with plain terminals).

Since ours may not be the only site in this situation, it would
probably beneficial to followup here rather than mailing answers to me.
Any mail I get I will summarize.  Thanks in advance.
--
Geoff Kratz         Dataspan Technology Inc.         Ph:(403) 237-9313
                       400-540 5th Av SW

dce@mips.COM (David Elliott) (06/20/88)

In article <229@dataspan.UUCP> kratz@dataspan.UUCP (Geoff Kratz) writes:
>What I need to know (from sites that have source licencing) is this: was
>the price of the source licence worth it?  I need to know if getting a
>source licence will actually pay for itself (ie: we got one and made
>$X millions :-) which paid for the licence in N months!) and any other
>advantages that having source will bring us, both short-term and long-term.

You really haven't provided a lot of background.

Mips has little choice in getting source licenses, since we are a Unix
systems developer selling Unix on our hardware.

If your company is developing software to run on Suns, you may want the
source for added documentation.  That is, if you see an interaction
that you are not sure of, or if you discover a case that isn't covered
by the standard system documentation, you can go and look at the
source.

If your company depends on the system to provide support for lots of
users, your systems programming staff may want the source in order to
provide fixes for problems, or to provide enhancements for the benefit
of your site.

If your company depends on the existence of the system to be assured,
source code may be a good idea.  That is, if you expect the systems
developer to go under next year (not likely in your case), you may want
the source so you can provide support to your present customer base.

So, a source license may be a good thing for your comapny.  On the
other hand, the presence of source code is kind of an "attractive
nuisance", and should be handled with care.  You need to understand
that Unix programmers love to hack the system.

If you find a bug, you may fix it locally, and your software may depend
on this fix.  Your customers, on the other hand, will still have the
bug and not be able to use the software product.

Local enhancements are a similar problem.  If your systems "hackers"
add a new option to grep and your software product contains a shell
script that uses this feature, it won't work outside of your system.

This is actually a more general problem.  Our first systems product had
a modified version of "install" that used a command called "printf",
which was not part of our product.  Since our systems administrator
dutifully "localized" every system shipped internally to the company,
every development machine had "printf" on it and worked just fine.
Luckily, later evaluation was done on virgin systems and caught the
problem.

The final problem is code stealing.  Programmers faced with
implementing something that already exists in Unix may grab a copy of
the source code and use it.  For example, if I needed a way to convert
an ASCII date to a Unix date, I might grab the set_date() and
year_size() routines from the date(1) source instead of writing the
code myself.  On the other hand, this means that I can never provide my
software source to anyone that doesn't have the same source licenses I
do.

All of these problems can be overcome by teaching the staff how to use
the source wisely.

--
David Elliott		dce@mips.com  or  {ames,prls,pyramid,decwrl}!mips!dce

kratz@dataspan.UUCP (Geoff Kratz) (06/21/88)

In article <2439@quacky.mips.COM>, dce@mips.COM (David Elliott) writes:
> You really haven't provided a lot of background.
> David Elliott		dce@mips.com  or  {ames,prls,pyramid,decwrl}!mips!dce

Sorry, you're right.  Our department (R&D) is primarily concerned with
developing new software systems.  We are currently working on a system
to scan a document (maps at the moment) using a high-res scanner (Scitex
laser scanner) and creating a boundary chain from the raster file.  We then
extract the medial axis from this file to produce the vector file.  This
is processed by people to add contour information (elevation and feature
codes) plus any other useful info (this is the data capture departments area).
The resulting file is converted to any number of formats (IGES, SIF) for
a client.  Included in this are a raster editor to clean the raster file
and extract the parts we need, and a vector editor to manipulate the vector
files.

Our main goal for getting the source is to gain some insight into the
system itself (the documentation enhancement you mentioned).  For me
specifically, that means actually see what happens in the low-level
windowing (the documentation seems to be sparse or missing in places).

A secondary goal is to make things easier for system admin internally (my
other job around here).  Our user-base (half technical, half non-technical)
always wants to know "why it isn't working" when things break, and our manager
is not always happy with vague answers to wierd problems. Pointing to a line
of code (even though he doesn't know what it means) and saying "there!" would
make things simpler for me and show them that I could (maybe) fix it, but
shouldn't because that would mean re-fixing each release until Sun fixed it
themselves (you also mentioned this regarding system hacks).  The source isn't
all that crucial for this aspect, but it sure would help.

But, as I said before, our management would like to see some "revenue"
created directly because of the licence (you know, money for money) and
our department's arguments alone aren't sufficient.
--

jsp@sp7040.UUCP (John Peters) (07/05/88)

In article <229@dataspan.UUCP>, kratz@dataspan.UUCP (Geoff Kratz) writes:
<^> Our site is considering getting a source licence, but we need some good reasons
<^> to justify the cost.
<^>
[...]

	The only person that can tell you wether source would benefit you
or not is you.  Here at Unisys - Salt Lake City we are supporting the
UNIX O.S. so it is more than required.  Even when I was just a student (all
of two weeks ago) I learned more from the UNIX source about programming than
from my instructors.  If I needed to know how a problem needed to be solved,
I could usually find it in the sources somewhere.  This can be especially
good for problems that seem to be system dependant (I was working on MC680X0,
Intel, and VAX systems).  As for suggesting dropping new hardware, I
(being the hacker we all try not to be) would never suggest that.

						--  Johnnie --