[comp.unix.questions] RCS and SCCS, and make

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (07/02/88)

In article <16366@brl-adm.ARPA> rbj@cmr.icst.nbs.gov (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>It is rumored that some people (ok, I give, U of Md. among others) have
>hacked make to understand RCS, altho to what level , I don't know.
>Maybe someone with initials ACT will clear this up. :-)

Purdue (kcs and ???), not UMCP.  The thing is called `rcsmake' and I
doubt not that it is available from Purdue, though under what sort of
restrictions I cannot say.

I just keep everything checked out....  (We have three CDC9771s on the
source machine)

mjs@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Spitzer) (07/06/88)

In article <12282@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <16366@brl-adm.ARPA> rbj@cmr.icst.nbs.gov (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>>It is rumored that some people (ok, I give, U of Md. among others) have
>>hacked make to understand RCS, altho to what level , I don't know.
>
>Purdue (kcs and ???), not UMCP.  The thing is called `rcsmake' and I
>doubt not that it is available from Purdue, though under what sort of
>restrictions I cannot say.

The make hacks were originally done by someone in the Physics
department here at Purdue.  We do not run this code.

We find it much cleaner to write Makefiles using one of a few standard
templates.  We use the following macros and rules to have make check
out RCS files if needed:

	SRC=	file1.c file2.c
	HDR=	file1.h file2.h
	SOURCE=	Makefile README ${HDR} ${SRC}
	clean: FRC
		rm -f Makefile.bak *.o a.out core errs tags ...

	source: ${SOURCE}

	spotless: clean
		rcsclean ${SOURCE}

	${SOURCE}:
		co $@

	FRC:

To reinstall a program whose source files are checked in, we only have
to check out the Makefile and type "make install".  To clean up, "make
clean" will remove object files and other regeneratable files.	 If we
do not want the sources checked out, "make spotless" will also remove
checked-out sources that match the current RCS revisions.

If anyone is interested in seeing our Makefile templates, send me
mail.  If there is an overwhelming demand, I'll post them.

--
Michael J. Spitzer		Purdue University Computing Center
mjs@s.cc.purdue.edu		pur-ee!s.cc.purdue.edu!mjs