[comp.unix.questions] postscript within troff

alen@cogen.UUCP (Alen Shapiro) (07/06/88)

I'd like to know if it is possible to imbed postscript in troff - and if so,
how. We have an apple laserwriter connected to a sun3 server and use
ptroff. What books on postscript are there that would help in this endeavour?
We may even get round to including bit-map images from PC screens (if only
we knew how)!!

If you'd like to e-mail me I'll summarise for the net.

--alen the Lisa slayer (it's a long story)

	...!{seismo,esosun,suntan}!cogen!alen

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (07/06/88)

Trevor Darrell from CMU (I think) did a package called PSFIG that allows you
to include postscript in either TROFF or TEX.  He gave a paper on it
at the Phoenix USENIX.

-Ron

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (07/07/88)

In article <Jul.6.10.45.52.1988.15461@topaz.rutgers.edu> ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
|Trevor Darrell from CMU (I think) did a package called PSFIG that allows you
|to include postscript in either TROFF or TEX.

This only works if you have ditroff, not the old troff.

--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett@ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett@steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett

ehrlich@blitz (Dan Ehrlich) (07/07/88)

In article <532@cogen.UUCP> alen@cogen.UUCP (Alen Shapiro) writes:
>I'd like to know if it is possible to imbed postscript in troff - and if so,
>how. We have an apple laserwriter connected to a sun3 server and use

Hmmm... Buy a Sun.  SunOS4.0's version of troff directly generates
PostScript(r) output.  You could buy a Sun 386i if you need to run
DOS applications.

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@blitz.cs.psu.edu> | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are
The Pennsylvania State University      | my own, and should not be atributed
Department of Computer Science         | to anyone else, living or dead.
University Park, PA   16802            |

jlo@elan.UUCP (Jeff Lo) (07/08/88)

In article <3681@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@blitz (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>In article <532@cogen.UUCP> alen@cogen.UUCP (Alen Shapiro) writes:
>>I'd like to know if it is possible to imbed postscript in troff - and if so,
>>how. We have an apple laserwriter connected to a sun3 server and use
>
>Hmmm... Buy a Sun.  SunOS4.0's version of troff directly generates
>PostScript(r) output.  You could buy a Sun 386i if you need to run
>DOS applications.

I have looked at the SunOS 4.0 /usr/bin/troff and the 4.0 Change Notes,
and it is still old troff, producing what looks like CAT typesetter codes,
the only difference is that it now has width tables for PostScript fonts
rather than CAT/4 phototypesetter fonts. You will still need to convert
from CAT codes to PostScript, but the widths will be right.

If you really need ditroff and want to include PostScript, give us a call,
we sell such a beast.
--
Jeff Lo
..!{ames,hplabs}!elan!jlo