[comp.unix.questions] AT&T wait

jpayne%breakpoint@Sun.COM (Jonathan Payne) (07/06/88)

In system V and related systems, is there a version of wait that takes
flag arguments like wait2() and wait3() in berkeley systems?  I don't
necessarily care about the NOHANG feature (so I don't care about the
flags argument) but it would be nice to have the WIFEXITED, WIFSIGNALED
macros.  Or, has anybody implemented those macros, since i think they are
relatively trivial to implement (if you feel like figuring out the right
bits to shift).

Thanks.

Jonathan Payne (jpayne@sun.com)

In article <58940@sun.uucp> jpayne%breakpoint@Sun.COM (Jonathan Payne) writes:
>In system V and related systems, is there a version of wait that takes
>flag arguments like wait2() and wait3() in berkeley systems?

Not yet.  There will have to be something soon, for POSIX conformance.
Dave Korn was trying to force wait2() semantics into the wait() system
call (which is already overloaded due to the SIGCLD nonsense), but I
doubt that waitpid() can be emulated reasonably without using a
different system call hook than wait().