[comp.unix.questions] Learning Regular Expressions

gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (G. Paul Houtz ) (07/14/88)

(James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:

>Net.Readers,
>
>I need a good reference for learning about regular expressions for use in

   Jim,

   I will recommend again "The UNIX System" by Henry McGilton and
   Rachel Morgan.  It has a simple clear discussion of regular
   expressions with good examples.  It will defintely get you started.

   There is a book entitled "The Awk Programming Language" which is
   fairly new, and is authored by Aho, Kernigan and Weinberger.  A
   large bookstore or computer oriented book store will have it.

   Also, I am interested in any answers you may get through E-mail,
   etc., so please do us all a favor and post a summary of
   recomendations you recieve.   Thanks!

   G. Paul Houtz
   Technology Access Center
   Hewlett Packard Company
   Cupertino, California

   "The above is not an endorsement of any product by the
   Hewlett-Packard Company, but the sole opinion of the
   author."