[net.cooks] Barley malt in bread

tim@unisoft.UUCP (Tim Bessie) (10/04/85)

In article <12042@rochester.UUCP> nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) writes:
>So we got some.  But I neglected to
>find out *how much* to use in the recipe!  Anybody have a recipe that
>uses roasted barley malt?  None of our cookbooks has a one!  I plan on
>trying 1/2 cup per loaf to start out with if no better info is forthcoming.

Ack!  Too much!  You don't need that much SOLID darkening agent for a
dark bread.  You might add 1/2 cup of strong coffee, for instance, but
certainly not 1/2 cup DRY coffee.  Try, oh, 3-4 tablespoons of the malt,
tops.  'Course, I could be wrong, since I've never made any bread using
barley malt, but that seems right.

						- Tim

---

	     "Time is for dragonflies and angels.  The former live
	too little and the latter live too long."

---> Tim Bessie ----- {ucbvax,dual}!unisoft!tim
---> Unisoft Systems; 739 Allston Way; Berkeley, CA 94710
---> (415) 644-1230   TWX II 910 366-2145