[comp.unix.questions] vi documentation

tomf@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Tom Fredericks) (06/24/88)

   I could also use some vi docs.  If anyone knows of a book or has
   some 'complete' docs in a file I would really appreciate it.

	Tom...

wu@spot.Colorado.EDU (WU SHI-KUEI) (06/24/88)

BOOKS:

Augie Hansen; VI, The UNIX Screen Editor; Prentice-Hall (Brady); 1986

Dan Sonnenschein; A Guide to vi; Visual Editing on the UNIX System;
	Prentice-Hall; 1987

REFERENCE CARD:

UNIX System V Visual Editor Quick Reference Guide; AT&T Select Code 307-262
	Original written by yours truly.

Carl Brandauer
ihnp4!stvax!nbires!bdaemon!carl

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (06/24/88)

In article <6813@sigi.Colorado.EDU>, wu@spot.Colorado.EDU (WU SHI-KUEI) writes:
<
< REFERENCE CARD:
<
< UNIX System V Visual Editor Quick Reference Guide; AT&T Select Code 307-262
< 	Original written by yours truly.
<
< Carl Brandauer
< ihnp4!stvax!nbires!bdaemon!carl

Get this card if you already know vi moderately well.  I'm a vi
wizard but every time I read this card I learn something new --
there is stuff here that I've not seen documented anywhere else.

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc. (714) 545-6442      3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

Nancy Reagan on the Free Software Foundation : "Just say GNU"

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (06/25/88)

In article <6802@sigi.Colorado.EDU> tomf@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Tom Fredericks) writes:

>   I could also use some vi docs.  If anyone knows of a book or has
>   some 'complete' docs in a file I would really appreciate it.
>
>	Tom...

Here are two recommendations:

A Guide To VI by Dan Sonnenschein, Prentice Hall 1987

and

Learning The VI Editor by Linda Lamb, O'Reilly & Associates 1985.

The O'Reilly book was recently updated and enlarged, although I don't
have that revision.

O'Reilly books can be ordered via uucp from uunet!ora!tim, the P-H book
should be available from any major bookstore.

Wolf Paul
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp@dcs.UUCP                   TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

clarke@hpfcmr.HP.COM (Clarke Echols) (06/27/88)

Try:

   HP-UX Concepts and Tutorials: Text Editors and Processors

   Hewlett-Packard Part Number 97089-90022, available from HP's
   Direct Marketing Division, 1324 Kifer Rd., Sunnyvale, CA 94086
   Phone 1-800-538-8787.

   Shipment within 24 hours, they take credit cards.

   Includes 300 page tutorial on vi/ex, lots of examples and "neat tricks";
   75-page tutorial on sed;
   other articles.

   The vi/ex tutorial is being accepted by many as the best out there,
   although I haven't seen the ones mentioned in earlier responses
   to this basenote.

   I'd be interested in  your opinion after you've used the vi/sed
   tutorials.

   Clarke Echols                 {ihnp4 hplabs}!hpfcla!clarke
   HP-UX Documentation
   Hewlett-Packard Co.

rbj@cmr.icst.nbs.gov (Root Boy Jim) (07/02/88)

? tomf@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Tom Fredericks) writes:
? >
? >   I could also use some vi docs.  If anyone knows of a book or has
? >   some 'complete' docs in a file I would really appreciate it.
? >
? >	Tom...

You must be running TPC UNIX or you wouldn't have to ask. The definitive
reference manuals are "An Introduction to Display Editing with VI",
"EX Reference Manual", "EDIT: A Tutorial", "Tutorial Introduction to ED",
and "Advanced Editing on UNIX". They are distributed with every BSD based
system I know of and are numbered USD:{15,16,14,12,13} in 4.3 BSD.

? Here are two recommendations:

Forget it. Read the *real* manuals.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	Careful with that VAX Eugene!

wcs@skep2.ATT.COM (Bill.Stewart.[ho95c]) (07/05/88)

In article <16364@brl-adm.ARPA> rbj@cmr.icst.nbs.gov (Root Boy Jim) writes:
:? tomf@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Tom Fredericks) writes:
:? >   I could also use some vi docs.  If anyone knows of a book or has
:? >   some 'complete' docs in a file I would really appreciate it.
:You must be running TPC UNIX or you wouldn't have to ask. The definitive
:reference manuals are "An Introduction to Display Editing with VI",
:"EX Reference Manual", "EDIT: A Tutorial", "Tutorial Introduction to ED",
:and "Advanced Editing on UNIX". They are distributed with every BSD based
:system I know of and are numbered USD:{15,16,14,12,13} in 4.3 BSD.

	[Look, Root Boy, we ain't TFPC any more!]
Mr. Cottrell is suggesting that Berkeley UNIX comes with good vi
documentation (which it does), and that System V doesn't (which it
doesn't.)  However, AT&T does make a variety of UNIX documentation
available besides the manuals, including some vi tutorials paced so a
non-technical person can understand them.  Call the 1-800-828-UNIX
folks and try to get a documentation catalog from them, or explain what
you're looking for and they should be able to tell you how to order it.
--
#				Thanks;
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G218, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (07/16/88)

In article <178@skep2.ATT.COM> wcs@skep2.UUCP (46323-Bill.Stewart.[ho95c],2G218,x0705,) writes:
>In article <16364@brl-adm.ARPA> rbj@cmr.icst.nbs.gov (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>:? tomf@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Tom Fredericks) writes:
>:? >   I could also use some vi docs.  If anyone knows of a book or has
>:? >   some 'complete' docs in a file I would really appreciate it.
>:You must be running TPC UNIX or you wouldn't have to ask.
>	[Look, Root Boy, we ain't TFPC any more!]
>Mr. Cottrell is suggesting that Berkeley UNIX comes with good vi
>documentation (which it does), and that System V doesn't (which it
>doesn't.)

And why not? Oh - I see - additional documentation - additional money -
after all, who uses screen editors? :-(

					 disgustedly,
						Kay
"I AM; YOU ARE; HELLO: all else is poetry"
			... mcvax!ukc!warwick!kay