[comp.unix.questions] Sizes of various editors

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (07/05/88)

>In article <8196@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>|I actually do use "vi" on my Sun, until I get "sam" running.  (The
>|SunTools text editor is a joke.)
>Actually, I use textedit a lot. It has several things going for it.
>The bigest one is:
>(SunOS 4.0):
>-rwxr-xr-x  1 root        32768 Apr  9 04:49 /usr/bin/textedit
>(SunOS 3.4.2):
>-rwxr-xr-x  3 barnett    991232 Feb 29 11:48 /usr/local/bin/emacs
>-rwxrwxr-x  1 barnett    581632 Aug 31  1987 /usr/local/bin/emacstool

>Yes, size. emacs+emacstool (SUnOS 3.4) is 48 TIMES larger than
>textedit (SunOS 4.0). (yes, emacstool will shrink under 4.0. No, don't
>have the numbers yet).
Why cloud the issue by posting meaningless numbers?

Those windowing libraries still might get loaded under 4.0, but
chances are they're already loaded if you're using the window
system.

In SunOS 3.5 (more-or-less, some binaries are as old as 3.0)

TEXTEDIT
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root      753664 Nov 10  1987 /usr/bin/textedit*
text	data	bss	dec	hex
704512	32768	24860	762140	ba11c

GNU EMACS
-rwxr-xr-x  1 9902      835584 Dec 15  1987 /usr/wpe/bin/gemacs*
text	data	bss	dec	hex
516096	237568	0	753664	b8000

Unix EMACS (written here by Gosling, licensed to Unipress now I suppose)
 [2 installations]
-rwxr-xr-x  1 cmu       425984 Dec 23  1986 /usr/cs/bin/emacs*
text	data	bss	dec	hex
319488	16384	104800	440672	6b960

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root      245760 Jun 19 17:47 /usr/cs/bin/emacs*
text	data	bss	dec	hex
196608	8192	107888	312688	4c570

So, it really depends on what tradeoffs you're willing to make to accomdate
your preferences.  Also depends on what other people on your system are
using, since the text segment can be shared on many systems, reducing
swapping and paging.

Since these paramters vary wildly from person to person and system to
system, why should anyone expect anyone else to agree?  Nobody wins
OS/Processor/Editor wars anymore.
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

barnett@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (07/05/88)

In article <2157@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
|Why cloud the issue by posting meaningless numbers?

I am not clouding an issue. The numbers are far from meaningless.
If you read my article, I said I was using a Sun 3/50 which is limited
to 4 megabytes. Period.  I am the only one using it. Period.

I watch the page fault meter all the time. :-(

|Those windowing libraries still might get loaded under 4.0, but
|chances are they're already loaded if you're using the window
|system.

I realize that emacstool will get smaller with 4.0. But Emacs is STILL
BIG, even without the windowing software compiled into it. If you
assume the Operating system and windowing software takes up 2 Megs,
an editor that takes up 35% of your available memory can cause problems.

Try compiling a large system (like X windows) inside of emacstool & emacs on a
4 Meg Sun. Pick any release of the operating system you like.

|Since these paramters vary wildly from person to person and system to
|system, why should anyone expect anyone else to agree?  Nobody wins
|OS/Processor/Editor wars anymore.

Can't people read anymore? I am not trying to win any war.

I LOVE emacs.

I just wish I had a workstation that wouldn't crumble under the load.

--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett@ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett@steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett

In article <4750@vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com> barnett@steinmetz.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) writes:
>If you assume the Operating system and windowing software takes up 2 Megs,
>an editor that takes up 35% of your available memory can cause problems.

For comparison, on a Sun-3 running SunOS 3.5, the host part of "sam" is
	text	data	bss	total
	 57344 +  8192 +  25504 =  91040
and the interactive front end using SunTools is
	614400 + 16384 +  23828 = 654612
This must be mostly Sun graphics libraries, since the corresponding 5620
DMD interactive front end is
	 28832 +  1388 +   4692 =  34912
Presumably on SunOS 4.0 most of the front end would be shared libraries,
so that somewhere around 128K bytes total would be used by "sam".  (This
excludes storage that is dynamically allocated during execution.)

The native Sun version of "sam" runs like a bat out of heck,
since the host/terminal process interface bottleneck is much faster
than when running over a 9600bps link.

By comparison, "vi" is
	131072 +  8192 + 128360 = 267624
and is not nearly so spiffy.

The 4.3BSD version of JOVE, an EMACS subset that BRL gurus much prefer
to "vi", is
	106496 + 24576 +  83848 = 214920
which as you will notice is smaller than "vi".  So EMACS lovers need
not suffer too much on Suns.

gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (G. Paul Houtz ) (07/13/88)

sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) writes:

>In article <Jul.8.17.00.31.1988.19561@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>>
>> Teach students "ed,"  that way they learn what regular expressions
>> are.  My wife . . .

>Yeah, and why are students using video terminals?  My wife and quite
>a few people I know don't know why delete is 0177 (ascii).  If

     Touche Michael.

     I first learned text editing on an IBM 029 keypunch machine, and
     that is why I  liked programming in assembler (fewer key strokes
     per card).   I wouldn't go back to it now for all the tea in
     China.

     I am new to UNIX and I learned regular expressions, not by using
     ed, but because I had a JOB TO DO that REQUIRED them.  They are
     not really that hard to learn for most tasks.

     No job worth having is going to be denied to a student simply
     because they don't know VI or ED or regular expressions or EMACS.
			 -gph

gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (O. W. Holmes) (07/15/88)

--
   Along a similar vein, there is an editor on HP3000 systems called
   QEDIT, which is one of the very best editors I have ever used.  It

   However, these editors require Block Mode terminals, and they are
   not able to move the cursor based upon what is on the screen.

   The future likely lies in using a PC workstation, removing all
   possible keystroke interrupt overhead from the mainframe cpu, and
   allowing bit-mapped graphics for token-represented object oriented
   editing/development (how's that for a sentence?).

                         - gph

gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (Paul Houtz ) (07/16/88)

In article <59699@sun.uucp>, guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
> Can we please choke off the debate now?
>Guy Harris, Chris Torek and several others have pointed out the
>futility of this religious war of editors. Guy has made several

   Maybe I am out of line here, but all of us are not guru's who have
   been working on UNIX for the last 40 years.

   I personally am really enjoying this debate!

   I am using VI, and am considering going to EMACS, and am getting all
   kinds of nifty ideas out of the postings on this subject.  I also
   enjoy the stimulation of the different points of view.

   So, I don't think it's futile at all.  The only time it is a downer
   is when some off-the-wall knucklehead derides someone else's point
   of view for no good reason, but that doesn't happen very often.

   Generally, people make there points, and back them up with reasoning
   or examples (which I ALWAYS TRY OUT) and a lot is to be learned.

   Finally, if you don't like the discussion just <shift-L>.

   However, I may be in the minority.  If so, I accept your flames
   willingly.....

G. Paul Houtz
Technology Access Center
Hewlett Packard
gph%hpsemc@hplabs.HP.com

rrr@naucse.UUCP (Bob Rose ) (07/18/88)

> > Can we please choke off the debate now?
> > [the futility of this religious war of editors ]

>    I personally am really enjoying this debate!
>    Finally, if you don't like the discussion just <shift-L>.

 <shift-L> That is interesting. Which news reader are you using?
 Which news reader is the best, which has the most features?  8*)

gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (Paul Houtz ) (07/18/88)

rrr@naucse.UUCP (Bob Rose ) writes:

> <shift-L> That is interesting. Which news reader are you using?
> Which news reader is the best, which has the most features?  8*)

     I use unix notes.