[comp.unix.questions] french wordlist

tcjones@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Terry) (07/20/88)

Anyone out there know of a French wordlist similar to /usr/dict/words?
I've seen people ask (here?) for this sort of thing before, but it never
struck me as interesting...

Thanks alot.
Terry Jones

/*********************************************************************
*   Department Of Computer Science, University Of Waterloo           *
*   Waterloo Ontario Canada N2L 3G1.    Phone: 1-519-8881211 x3592   *
*                                                                    *
*   UUCP:                    ...!watmath!watdragon!tcjones           *
*   CSNET, Internet, CDNnet: tcjones@dragon.waterloo.{cdn,edu}       *
*   BITNET:                  tcjones@WATER.bitnet                    *
*   Canadian domain:         tcjones@dragon.uwaterloo.ca             *
*********************************************************************/

rbj@nav.icst.nbs.gov (Root Boy Jim) (07/23/88)

? From: Terry <tcjones@watdragon.waterloo.edu>
? Date: 20 Jul 88 07:24:49 GMT

? Anyone out there know of a French wordlist similar to /usr/dict/words?
? I've seen people ask (here?) for this sort of thing before, but it never
? struck me as interesting...

Why don't you make your own? Just run french (or whatever) thru spell,
edit the mispelt werds, delete the real misspellings from the list,
and add the genuine ones via spellin. Be aware that spell knows how to
derive variations of words by tacking on {pre,suf}fixes and applying a
few rules (copy+s -> copies) which may be inappropriate for nonenglish.
However, there is an option to look for exact matches only.

? Thanks alot.
? Terry Jones

? /*********************************************************************
? *   Department Of Computer Science, University Of Waterloo           *
? *   Waterloo Ontario Canada N2L 3G1.    Phone: 1-519-8881211 x3592   *
? *                                                                    *
? *   UUCP:                    ...!watmath!watdragon!tcjones           *
? *   CSNET, Internet, CDNnet: tcjones@dragon.waterloo.{cdn,edu}       *
? *   BITNET:                  tcjones@WATER.bitnet                    *
? *   Canadian domain:         tcjones@dragon.uwaterloo.ca             *

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	<rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	National Bureau of Standards
	Flamer's Hotline: (301) 975-5688
	The opinions expressed are solely my own
	and do not reflect NBS policy or agreement
	Careful with that VAX Eugene!