[comp.unix.questions] UUCP over a serial line through a Bridge CS/200 server

badri@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (Badri Lokanathan) (07/23/88)

We are running Rick Adam's modified BSD4.3 UUCP on a VAX 11-750 under
BSD 4.3 Mt. Xinu.
Recently our department acquired a CS/200 communications server
manufactured by Bridge Communications, Inc. We would like to have our
UUCP neighbours dial up a particular machine on the network through
this server. The connection seems to open up correctly, but there is a
failure in the g protocol, as indicated by the transcript of the audit
session at the slave host below.

(1) Has anybody achieved such a link using this (or any other) version of UUCP?
(2) Any recommendations regarding possible sources of error?
---------------- Truncated uucp session in debug mode ------------------
Proto started g
Protocol Ug
uuely ur-elysium (7/1-02:35-23205) OK (startup ttyp0 0 baud)
*** TOP ***  -  role=SLAVE
rmesg - '' rec h->cntl 0210
end pksack 00
send 041
got H
PROCESS: msg - H
HUP:
wmesg 'H' Y
send 0211
rmesg - 'H' rec h->cntl 041
state - 010
rec h->cntl 0173
bad header 0221,h->ccntl 0110
rec h->cntl 010
state - 06000
got FAIL
uuely ur-elysium (7/1-02:35-23205) BAD READ (expected 'H' got FAIL (2))
cntrl - -1
uuely ur-elysium (7/1-02:35-23205) FAILED (conversation complete)
send OO -1,omsg <OOOOOO>
imsg looking for SYNC<\20>
imsg input<	"*\10	\20>
imsg input<OOOOOO\0>got 6 characters
-------------------------- End of session ------------------------------
--
"We will fight for the right to be free {) badri@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu
 We will build our own society         //\\ {ames,cmcl2,columbia,cornell,

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (07/26/88)

I tried this for a while with a CS/100, and got the same problem.  I even
remembered to rig the L.sys file to turn off the CS/100 "ECMchar", and
turn off all the flow control stuff, and that didn't seem to help at
all - same symptoms.  This is with version 10200 of the TCP software -
I don't know how it will behave with later versions.

I switched to coming in through an Encore Annex terminal server instead,
and it works just fine.

--Pat.

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (07/26/88)

In article <1387@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu> badri@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (Badri Lokanathan) writes:
>We are running Rick Adam's modified BSD4.3 UUCP on a VAX 11-750 under
>BSD 4.3 Mt. Xinu.
>Recently our department acquired a CS/200 communications server
>manufactured by Bridge Communications, Inc. We would like to have our
>UUCP neighbours dial up a particular machine on the network through
>this server. The connection seems to open up correctly, but there is a
>failure in the g protocol, as indicated by the transcript of the audit

Try using the 'f' protocol.  I wish that terminal servers offered some
kind of uucp 'g' spoofing mode or a 8 bit transparent path.

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

roe@sobeco.UUCP (R. Peterson) (07/26/88)

From article <1387@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu>, by badri@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (Badri Lokanathan):
> Recently our department acquired a CS/200 communications server
> manufactured by Bridge Communications, Inc. ...
> ... The connection seems to open up correctly, but there is a
> failure in the g protocol:
> bad header 0221,h->ccntl 0110
             ^^^^
This almost always means that something in the communication link is
'swallowing' flow control characters (throw away the hi-bit of 0221 and
you get 021, the famous control-q).

Your bridge is probably trying to flow-control the link.  I have no idea
how to disable that.  Check the manual.

					Roe Peterson
					{attcan,mnetor!telly}!sobeco!roe
					"To err is human...