[net.cooks] Cracker Recipe Wanted

CJC@psuvm.BITNET (10/03/85)

    The price of crackers has gone up around here again, and I'm not sure
they're worth it any more.  Does anyone have a good recipe for crackers?
- or rather recipes, I like cheese or whole wheat or seeded or a few others
but not all together.

                                         --Carolyn J. Clark

     Bitnet: CJC at PSUVM
     UUCP  : {allegra, akgua, ihnp4}!psuvax!CJC@PSUVM.BITNET

keith@gargoyle.UUCP (Keith Waclena) (10/06/85)

In article <3676CJC@psuvm> CJC@psuvm.BITNET writes:

>...  Does anyone have a good recipe for crackers? ... I like cheese ...

From _The English Biscuit and Cookie Book_ by Sonia Allison, New York: St.
Martin's Press, 1983, a very good book including  sections on
shortbreads and savory biscuits (read "crackers"). Recommended.
This recipe makes a huge quantity; it's really a basic recipe for
four different crackers. The cheese straws are just one.

Cheese Straws

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 level teaspoon paprika
1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups Cheddar cheese, finely shredded
2 egg yolks from medium eggs
cold water

Basic recipe.

Sift dry ingredients into a bowl. Rub in the butter/margarine until
finely blended. Add the cheese. Mix to a stiff (but not too crumbly)
dough with egg yolks and a little water, using a fork to gather the
ingredients together. Turn onto a floured surface and knead lightly
until smooth. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1
hour. Unwrap and divide the pastry into 4 equal portions.

Cheese Straws proper.

Roll out one portion of party thinly. Cut into 36 to 48 strips, 3
inches in length. Arrange strips carefully on lightly greased cookie
sheets. Re-roll the pastry trimmings and cut into 2inch rings with
cookie cutters. Place on the sheets. Bake until pale gold, allowing
about 7 to 10 minutes in an oven preheated to 450 degrees F (230
degrees C). Remove carefully to wire racks and leave to cool. To
serve, thread the straws through the rings to look like bales of hay.
Store in an airtight tin.

Use the remaining portions to make more straws, or cut into simple
rounds and bake similarly, or make sandwiches with Cheese Cream:

Cheese Cream

3/8 cup  butter, softened
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, very finely shredded
salt
pepper
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard

Beat together ingredients.

-- Keith
Keith Waclena                          uucp:     ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!keith
Graduate Library School                CSNet:    keith@UChicago.CSNet
University of Chicago                  Bitnet:	 kdw1%sphinx@uchicago.bitnet