[comp.unix.questions] Apollo DOMAIN/IX csh question - job control

dce@mips.COM (David Elliott) (07/21/88)

A few years ago, I worked on an Apollo and used csh.  After a
while, someone showed me a way to tell csh to disable job
control, which significantly sped up job execution.

Can someone out there refresh my memory on what this command
is?

Also, while I'm at it, does anyone have a program for changing
the color map on the fly?  I wrote one once, but it had a bad
habit of crashing the system.

--
David Elliott		dce@mips.com  or  {ames,prls,pyramid,decwrl}!mips!dce

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (07/22/88)

in article <2634@quacky.mips.COM>, dce@mips.COM (David Elliott) says:
> Also, while I'm at it, does anyone have a program for changing
> the color map on the fly?  I wrote one once, but it had a bad
> habit of crashing the system.
Why write it...there is an Apollo command <do a shift help> for changing
the color map on the fly ...of course it is late at night  and I have no
apollo in front of me ..and I forgotten the command...something like lcm
...or something like that comes to mind

------------------
Yeah! Where was George?

In article <2634@quacky.mips.COM> dce@mips.COM (David Elliott) writes:
>A few years ago, I worked on an Apollo and used csh.  After a
>while, someone showed me a way to tell csh to disable job
>control, which significantly sped up job execution.

I don't know how Apollo implemented it, but on a real UNIX system
there should be no difference in job execution caused by whether
your shell is supporting job control or not.

randy@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Randy Orrison) (07/30/88)

Recently gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) wrote:
|In article <2634@quacky.mips.COM> dce@mips.COM (David Elliott) writes:
|>A few years ago, I worked on an Apollo and used csh.  After a
|>while, someone showed me a way to tell csh to disable job
|>control, which significantly sped up job execution.
|
|I don't know how Apollo implemented it, but on a real UNIX system
|there should be no difference in job execution caused by whether
|your shell is supporting job control or not.

On the Apollos, due to high overhead of fork(), you can tell the shells to
not fork when they exec() other processes (don't ask me how the shell gets
back).  In csh/BSD you can do 'set inprocess' to get this behavior.  The
default behavior is normal.

Remember, Apollos don't run UNIX(tm) or even Unix(which we all know and love),
they run AEGIS(which has everyone confused).

	-randy
--
Randy Orrison, Chemical Computer Thinking Battery  --  randy@cctb.mn.org
randy@ux.acss.umn.edu	{bungia, uunet!hi-csc, rutgers, sun}!umn-cs!randy