[comp.unix.questions] wire tapping

rrr@naucse.UUCP (Bob Rose ) (07/23/88)

In article <681@viscous>, brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:
> In article <1624@uop.edu> todd@uop.edu ( Todd/Dr. Nethack ) writes:
> >Why don't you guys use wire taps?
> >You don't even have to have to cut into the wires to gain access!!
>
> Except for terminals which use light fiber as their means of communications.
> There is no way of tapping these without cutting the wire, and even then
> you need an incredible amount of technology available.

Not quite true any more. You can tap fiber optic without cutting the lines,
but you must be very close (i.e. touching.) However it is possible to spot
the tap if the line has enough security features. Electronic lines can be
tap from hundress of feet away with out ever being notice not matter how
sophisticated the security precations. Thus building like the pentigon
are being redone with fiber optic.
                              -bob

grzesiak@a3bee2.UUCP (John Grzesiak ) (07/29/88)

Wire tapping is cute. You really don't have to cut the wires to get data,
two induction coils with high sensitivity amplifiers and some conversion
circuitry and you have a tap, without the risk of setting off intrusion
circuits (Unless somebody out there has a circuit that dynamically checks
line load). The pentagon is a different story though, Fiber optics: yes
,tappable: NO . They are run thru a tubular plenum that is gas pressurized
with a pressure alarm, any change in pressure is a shutdown and 100% check
of every inch of the system. (anyway why are any of you even interested in
breaking someones system? There are so many applications yet to develop I
wouldn't think that anyone serious would have the time!)
-- John Grzesiak --
   at yale!spock!a3bee2!grzesiak

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (08/02/88)

In article <232@a3bee2.UUCP> grzesiak@a3bee2.UUCP (John Grzesiak ) writes:
}The pentagon is a different story though, Fiber optics: yes
},tappable: NO . They are run thru a tubular plenum that is gas pressurized
}with a pressure alarm, any change in pressure is a shutdown and 100% check
}of every inch of the system.

And where the leades go from the intell spaces to the jcs spaces (across
the roof) they are under 24 hour a day monitor by tv (monitors in CNO
security watch office - manned ALL the time and a BORING watch most of
the night)

Disclaimer: Individuals have opinions, organizations have policy.
            Therefore, these opinions are mine and not any organizations!
Q.E.D.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 128.244.65.5  (James W. Meritt)

s30986u@kaira.HUT.FI (Martin Helin) (08/02/88)

In article <814@naucse.UUCP> rrr@naucse.UUCP (Bob Rose ) writes:
>		 You can tap fiber optic without cutting the lines,
>but you must be very close (i.e. touching.)

What would be the approximate cost of this kind of tapping and how much
of technical knowledge would it require ? ( = is it a real hazard,
excluding high budget projects e.g. military, secret service activities).

		Martin Helin , Helsinki Univ. of Technology
		s30986u@kaira.UUCP or mhe@otax.UUCP

s30986u@kaira.HUT.FI (Martin Helin) (08/02/88)

In article <232@a3bee2.UUCP> grzesiak@a3bee2.UUCP (John Grzesiak ) writes:
>...anyway why are any of you even interested in breaking someones system?
> There are so many applications yet to develop I
>wouldn't think that anyone serious would have the time!

I agree but it's also nice to know how your system can be breaked into
and possible means of protecting it.
*
*
*