[net.cooks] Garlic presses

eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) (03/08/85)

I have seen in several kitchen specialty shops a cast aluminum press that
is easy to clean!  I looks like a normal press, but it has little prongs on
the back so that when you reverse it, it pokes the stuff stuck in the holes
back through.  These presses aren't cheap, but they're worth it.  They also
stand up to tougher stuff such a pressing fresh ginger.

Another tip for use with ordinary presses:  leave the skin on the clove of
garlic.  This way, most of the remnants of the clove come out in one neat
package.

Betsy Cvetic
ihnp4!drutx!eac

rpf@ptsfb.UUCP (Roy Falk) (03/11/85)

In article <2188@drutx.UUCP> eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) writes:
>I have seen in several kitchen specialty shops a cast aluminum press that
>is easy to clean!  I looks like a normal press, but it has little prongs on
>the back so that when you reverse it, it pokes the stuff stuck in the holes
>back through.  These presses aren't cheap, but they're worth it.

CAUTION......This seems like a good idea, however, the one I got for
Christmas (this Christmas!) already has problems with the little
cleaning prongs not lining up with the garlic juice output holes.
This disables the cleaning function.  I don't think they are
worth it.

I'm in the market for a good, industrial strength press, anyone got
any suggestions?
--
Roy Falk
                          RoofTop Systems

voice=415 774-1325
physical=37 49.6 N  122 25.3 W
uucp={ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,decwrl,amd,fortune,zehntel}!dual!ptsfa!ptsfb!rpf

daniel@ucbcad.UUCP (03/13/85)

	My favorite garlic press is not a press at all- it's a Mouli grater.
That's the one with the cylindrical grater with the handle attached.  It is
extremely easy to use, and is relatively neat, as such things go.
WARNING-----
	Go easy on the garlic.  This meathod exposes the maximal surface area
of garlic when sauteeing, so take it easy if you are not of the "too much garlic
is a contradiction in terms" school of cooking.
Daniel Tyack

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (03/14/85)

> I have seen in several kitchen specialty shops a cast aluminum press that
> is easy to clean!  I looks like a normal press, but it has little prongs on
> the back so that when you reverse it, it pokes the stuff stuck in the holes
> back through.  These presses aren't cheap, but they're worth it.  They also
> stand up to tougher stuff such a pressing fresh ginger.

I have one of these presses; I hope they are made by different manufacturers
out of differing materials, because the one I have cracked the first time I used
it -- it was made out of some form of pot metal and the thinner part at the
joint, where the most strain is felt when crushing a clove, snapped. It still
works, but not very well.

What I have done recently is to buy a batch of garlic bulbs, peel all the
cloves, throw them into a bottle-type mincer/chopper (one of those jars with
a lid which has a spring-loaded set of chopping blades built in) and chop them
all up at once. I then store the finely-chopped garlic in a container in the
freezer. When I want some, it is but an instant to gouge out a knife-tip-full
which is the equivalent of a clove.

I have been doing the same with fresh ginger root, which I peel first (I find
that ginger-root-peel burns too easily when stir-frying). Saves several
minutes on each dish, since I like to put garlic and ginger in EVERYTHING
(my wife cooks the desserts).

Now, a query -- just recently, on my first trip to a recently-discovered
oriental market, I ran across bottled chopped garlic. The label claims
"No Preservatives" -- it isn't refrigerated, just on the shelf. I believe
it was a pound for $3.75 (label said "equivalent of 300 cloves", I think).
This seems to be a good deal, if it tastes just like fresh. Anybody ever used
this stuff? Can you recommend it or is it not good? (If I never hear
anything about this, I'll try it sometime, and report to the net, but I'd
like to avoid wasting $4 if somebody already has tried it and it's bad.)

Funny food forever!

Will

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) (03/15/85)

>What I have done recently is to buy a batch of garlic bulbs, peel all the
>cloves, throw them into a bottle-type mincer/chopper (one of those jars with
>a lid which has a spring-loaded set of chopping blades built in) and chop them
>all up at once. I then store the finely-chopped garlic in a container in the
>freezer. When I want some, it is but an instant to gouge out a knife-tip-full
>which is the equivalent of a clove.

No need to freeze, mix with cooking oil (enough to cover) and store in the
refrigerator.  This will keep indefinitely, and you only get smelly fingers
once in a while.  I find this to be just as good as fresh.

>Now, a query -- just recently, on my first trip to a recently-discovered
>oriental market, I ran across bottled chopped garlic. The label claims
>"No Preservatives" -- it isn't refrigerated, just on the shelf. I believe
>it was a pound for $3.75 (label said "equivalent of 300 cloves", I think).
>This seems to be a good deal, if it tastes just like fresh. Anybody ever used
>this stuff? Can you recommend it or is it not good? (If I never hear
>anything about this, I'll try it sometime, and report to the net, but I'd
>like to avoid wasting $4 if somebody already has tried it and it's bad.)

See note above.  I still don't recommend storing on the shelf, but it may
be ok.

Betsy Cvetic
ihnp4!drutx!eac

richp@hammer.UUCP (Richard Philofsky) (03/18/85)

In an eighteen month period I broke 3 or 4 metal garlic presses including
ones with teeth for cleaning. The ones with teeth did clean easier before
they broke.

Then I bought the GARLIC MACHINE. Eureka!!!! It consists of a transparent
plastic tube with a white plastic top with little holes and a screw powered
pusher at the other end. The idea is to take several cloves of garlic,
take off the skin and fill the tube and keep it in the refrigerator(it has
a top which keeps in the smell). When garlic is called for, take it out and
twist out the desired amount.  When  the tube is empty run it through the
dishwasher(unassebled of course).  It is a big improvement over the metal
variety.

At the end you must be careful not to turn it too much. I was not watching
and I twisted it right off.

godzilla of garlic machines

vch@rruxo.UUCP (V. Hatem) (03/22/85)

I recently (within the last few years) bought several garlic presses, before
finding one that really made my day. With all this noise about every one
looking for a good one, I thought I'd let you know where I found it. I
bought it at Macy's, in The Cellar. It's cast iron, and I'm shure I'll
never have to replace it. (It's just like Mom's) Around here they call
Macys "Bamberger's", but it's the same store - you'll probably be able
to find one there. Look in the gormet cooking section.

Good luck!

Vince.

jayr@well.UUCP (Jay Roth) (10/05/85)

I remember a while back talk about garlic presses, their relative advantages,
etc.  However, I'm not sure I remember which was the #1 type (if there was
one).  I recently saw a garlic press (a plastic tube with a threaded screw
at one end, and a "strainer" on the other end (bunch of holes)).  Is this
contraption any good?

bobm@hp-pcd.UUCP (bobm) (10/07/85)

>  I recently saw a garlic press (a plastic tube with a threaded screw
>  at one end, and a "strainer" on the other end (bunch of holes)).  Is this
>  contraption any good?

I bought the same gizmo because it looked "neat." I was disappointed with it,
though. The holes are too small to allow passage of the juice after one clove
or so. The thing clogs up pretty easily, unless you chop the cloves into
small pieces to start with. The best press is still a heavy metal one. I have
one that is "self-cleaning," meaning that it has little spikes that can be
forced backwards through the press holes to clear out the pulp. Works like a
charm.

						Bob May
						hp-pcd!bobm