[comp.unix.questions] No more careless crossposts!

trn@warper.jhuapl.edu (Tony Nardo) (08/12/88)

In article <810024@hpsemc.HP.COM> gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (Paul Houtz ) writes:
>filip@alberta.UUCP (Don Filipchuk) writes:
>
>>       Well, I am heartened to see that there are
>   >more jokes on the humour group... I especially liked
>   >the "... ya, but these Fokkers were flying Messershmidts!" (sp)
>>
>>Warning : Possibly offensive to Jews ?
>
>    Don, this must be a mistake.  Possibly you meant to post this to
>a different group?
>
>    In case you really are ignorant about this sort of thing, let me
>enlighten.  This is a newgroup for notes regarding questions about hte
>unix operating system.  No one appreciates jokes here, and it is bad
>taste to post them.   Perhaps you meant to post in another group called
>rec.humor?
>
>    You are probably going to get flamed for this.   Try to be more
>careful next time.

I hate to defend an obvious lack of consideration, but...

The first person who posted a "fun with UNIX" joke that included rec.humor
in the distribution list is the real person to blame, not Don.  Note that
Don's jokes were posted to *BOTH* comp.unix.questions and rec.humor.

Most people simply don't think to check the distribution on a followup
article.  (For that matter, most people don't even think to change the subject
line!)  Thus, whoever decided to share this joke with rec.humor invited
a response from the rec.humor readers.  So, whoever was the first person to
post a "fun with UNIX" article with cross-posting to rec.humor, consider
yourself flamed!  :-)

Seriously, it doesn't take *that* much effort to post an article twice.
If you have to send something to a normally unrelated newsgroup, please
send it separately to each group.

P.S.  About these "fun with UNIX" jokes - I guess they're funny if you run
      System V, but most of them aren't amusing at all on BSD 4.2.  If you
      post a joke, could you also post the flavor of UNIX used as well?

ARPA:   @aplvax.jhuapl.edu:trn@warper	   \
        nardo%str.decnet@capsrv.jhuapl.edu  }  one of these should work
UUCP:	{backbone!}aplvax!warper!trn	   /
USnail: c/o Johns Hopkins University/APL, Room 7-53
	Johns Hopkins Road
	Laurel, Md. 20707

"Those who can do, those who can't teach.  And those who can't do either
become critics.  That's why there's so many of them."
				A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG GOD

woods@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) (08/14/88)

In article <1635@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu> trn@aplvax.UUCP (Tony Nardo) writes:
>Seriously, it doesn't take *that* much effort to post an article twice.
>If you have to send something to a normally unrelated newsgroup, please
>send it separately to each group.

I kinda' like cross-posting, especially in favor of double posting.  It
saves disk space (I think, at least it should), and when using rn, I
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

daveh@marob.MASA.COM (Dave Hammond) (08/15/88)

In article <1635@aplcomm.jhuapl.edu> trn@aplvax.UUCP (Tony Nardo) writes:
[...]
>P.S.  About these "fun with UNIX" jokes - I guess they're funny if you run
>      System V, but most of them aren't amusing at all on BSD 4.2.  If you
>      post a joke, could you also post the flavor of UNIX used as well?

At the risk of sounding overtly pro-work, this `fun with Unix' discussion
has (in my opinion) just about been played out. Not to mention that it has
doubled the amount of unix.questions articles in the past few weeks.
Besides, I think we all got the idea.

Perhaps those interested could start a `comp.unix.fun' group :-)

Dave Hammond
  UUCP: {uunet|...}!masa.com!{dsix2|marob}!daveh
DOMAIN: dsix2!daveh@masa.com