[net.cooks] sugarless recipe

kolling@decwrl.UUCP (Karen Kolling) (09/20/85)

While grocery shopping I noticed a product from Hansen's (the yuppy
natural soft drink people) called "imitation catsup."  "Imitation
catsup?" says I, "the mind boggles.  I wonder what imitation catsup
could be made of," and picked up a nearby bottle of Del Monte's to
compare the ingredients list.  Turns out the only difference (other
than it's being twice as expensive) is that it's made with honey, not
sugar, and so, according to the note on the label, it can't legally be
called catsup.  Now, aren't you glad you read this news group and learn
all these fascinating things?

djd@bcsaic.UUCP (dennis j. doherty) (09/25/85)

> While grocery shopping I noticed a product from Hansen's (the yuppy
> natural soft drink people) called "imitation catsup."  "Imitation
> catsup?" says I, "the mind boggles.  I wonder what imitation catsup
> could be made of," and picked up a nearby bottle of Del Monte's to
> compare the ingredients list.  Turns out the only difference (other
> than it's being twice as expensive) is that it's made with honey, not
> sugar, and so, according to the note on the label, it can't legally be
> called catsup.  Now, aren't you glad you read this news group and learn
> all these fascinating things?

Sugar is one of the worst things you can eat, honey on the other
hand is natural and therefore more expensive it also digests better
in your system than process sugar.

what was once natural is now "imitation"??!?!

				Dennis (sugarfree)

wdm@ecn-pc.UUCP (William D Michael) (09/26/85)

In article <317@bcsaic.UUCP> djd@bcsaic.UUCP (dennis j. doherty) writes:

>> While grocery shopping I noticed a product from Hansen's (the yuppy
>> natural soft drink people) called "imitation catsup."  "Imitation
>> catsup?" says I, "the mind boggles.  I wonder what imitation catsup
>> could be made of," and picked up a nearby bottle of Del Monte's to
>> compare the ingredients list.  Turns out the only difference (other
>> than it's being twice as expensive) is that it's made with honey, not
>> sugar, and so, according to the note on the label, it can't legally be
>> called catsup.  Now, aren't you glad you read this news group and learn
>> all these fascinating things?
>
>Sugar is one of the worst things you can eat, honey on the other
>hand is natural and therefore more expensive it also digests better
>in your system than process sugar.
>
>what was once natural is now "imitation"??!?!
>
>				Dennis (sugarfree)

Honey is natural and sugar isn't?

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (09/27/85)

In article <317@bcsaic.UUCP> djd@bcsaic.UUCP (dennis j. doherty) writes:

>Sugar is one of the worst things you can eat, honey on the other
>hand is natural and therefore more expensive it also digests better
>in your system than process[ed] sugar.
>
>				Dennis (sugarfree)

   Right up there with MSG and radioactive waste, eh?

   I'm curious as to how one can be "sugarfree" in this age.  Or are you using
the term loosely?  (I don't want to start a flaming session; I'm just curious
about how you manage it.  Really!)

 - joel "vo" plutchak
{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

chai@utflis.UUCP (Henry Chai) (09/28/85)

In article <391@ecn-pc.UUCP> wdm@ecn-pc.UUCP (William D Michael) writes:

>Honey is natural and sugar isn't?

Yeah, that's the idea!  Honey is `natural' because is a biological product
of the honeybee, (or it should be), whereas sugar is a highly refined
product which is extracted from sugar cane and beets.
"But", you argue, "sugar is present in the beets and canes, and that
makes it natural!"  The fact is that when we say "sugar", it usually means
"white sugar", which is striped of other nutrients that accompanied
it when it was in the plant.  Thus `sugar' (= white sugar) is not natural.
In fact, in the book "The Supermarket Handbook", the Goldbergs called
white flour, white sugar and white bread the `Three Deadly Whites',
since they are highly refined and is bad for one's health if consumed
exclusively (I may not have the names correct; it's been a year since I
read it).  I have since switched completely to whole wheat flour and
dark bread, but still use white sugar occasionaly when making icings,
whipped cream etc. because brown sugar and raw sugar just will not do.

--
Henry Chai
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto

terry@nrcvax.UUCP (Terry Grevstad) (10/04/85)

wdm@ecn-pc.UUCP (William D Michael) says:
>>Sugar is one of the worst things you can eat, honey on the other
>>hand is natural and therefore more expensive it also digests better
>>in your system than process sugar.
>>
>>what was once natural is now "imitation"??!?!
>>
>>				Dennis (sugarfree)
>

>Honey is natural and sugar isn't?

Yes.  Sugar cane is natural.  Sugar beets are natural, but not the
resulting processed sugar.  In much the same way, poppies are natural
and morphene isn't.  The actual sugar cane or beet has been approximately
95% eliminated from the resulting granulated sugar.
Maybe you need to find out what they do to the stuff in between the
farmers' harvest and the time you put it in your mouth.
Do you realize that about 4 pounds of sugar beets go into making about
2 teaspoons of granulated sugar?  Would you want to eat 4 pounds of
sugar beets with your coffee in the morning?

Oh, well, I really shouldn't go on--this isn't net.flame after all.
(Sorry :-)

--
\"\t\f1A\h'+1m'\f4\(mo\h'+1m'\f1the\h'+1m'\f4\(es\t\f1\c

                                                       Terry Grevstad
                                         Network Research Corporation
	                 {sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!terry
                                            ucbvax!calma!nrcvax!terry

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (10/07/85)

> ...   The actual sugar cane or beet has been approximately
> 95% eliminated from the resulting granulated sugar.
> Maybe you need to find out what they do to the stuff in between the
> farmers' harvest and the time you put it in your mouth.
> Do you realize that about 4 pounds of sugar beets go into making about
> 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar?  Would you want to eat 4 pounds of
> sugar beets with your coffee in the morning?

I grew up in an area that grew sugar beets.  The rage at that time
was to get beets that had >15% sugar content.  The hope was to do
better than 20% someday.  Are you sure your percents are right?

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)