[net.cooks] Sugar substitutes

bruceco@shark.UUCP (Bruce Coorpender) (09/30/85)

> Subject: Re: sugarless recipe (really: sugar)
> I have since switched completely to whole wheat flour and
> dark bread, but still use white sugar occasionaly when making icings,
> whipped cream etc. because brown sugar and raw sugar just will not do.

Henry Chai wrote an article containing the above. I agree with his
position on the use of whole wheat, and unrefined sugars. I would
point out that there are some reasonable substitutes for white
sugar in dessert toppings. (I am a certified dessert addict).

You can create a much more manageable sugar from turbinado sugar
by powdering it in a blender. It ends up with a consistency between
that of powdered sugar and "regular" sugar. Also, fructose is
available in most health food stores which is a good (read better)
substitute for white sugar. For receipes which really need powdered
sugar, use lactose also available in health food stores.

You can make a lot of tasty desserts with honey, but Henry, you are
right there are some that need sugar or GOOD substitutes to taste
right.

BC

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (10/06/85)

> Henry Chai wrote an article containing the above. I agree with his
> position on the use of whole wheat, and unrefined sugars.
> Also, fructose is
> available in most health food stores which is a good (read better)
> substitute for white sugar. For receipes which really need powdered
> sugar, use lactose also available in health food stores.

Um, perhaps someone could tell me why fructose and lactose, two chemically
pure entities, and hence about as refined as you can get, are somehow
"better" for you than white sugar (meaning, I assume, another chemically
pure entity, sucrose.)  Also, lactose isn't very sweet--I would think it
looks better than it tastes (or smells :-)).
--
/Steve Dyer
{harvard,seismo}!bbnccv!bbncc5!sdyer

billw@Navajo.ARPA (10/06/85)

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!  Humans are so illogical.

"Composition of Honey: (percent)
	Water	 17
	Fructose 38
	Glucose	 31
	Sucrose	  1.5
	Other Di-saccarides  7
	Higher sugars	1.5
	Acids	0.6
	Minerals 0.2

It is worth noting briefly that despite the claims of some "natural" food
advocates, honey is no wonder food.  Its vitamin content is negligible;
bees get most of theirs from pollen.  Also, because the B vitamins are a
part of the machinery that liberates energy from carbohydrates and fats,
a given amount of honey actually uses up more B vitamins than it supplies.
It contains only about 3% of the thiamine and 6% of te niacin necessary
to convert its sugars to energy.
	:
	:
In the last few decades, great claims have been made for the nutritional
excellance of molasses.  Though it is true that, compared to 99.8% pure
sucrose, molases contains large amounts of minerals and B vitamins, it
is also true that in absolute terms, these amounts are minor.  A table-
spoon of blackstrap molasses - which, given its flavor, is a lot - contains
less than a thirtieth of the recommended daily dose of B vitamins and about
a sixth of the iron and calcium allowances.  Premium molasses carries about
half these amounts.
	:
Similar claims of nutritional value have been made for brown sugar, which
is essentially a mixture of white sugar, and so even a less likely candidate
than molasses.  It is also thought that brown sugar is somehow less
"Processed" than white and therefore more healthful.
	:
Brown sugar IS refined.  It is made by adding special syrups that have
undergone the ideal amount of browning to refined, redisolved sucrose.
	:
Truly "raw", unrefined sugar contains soil, microbes, and other contami-
nants, and the FDA classifies it as unfit for direct use in food.
"Turbinado" sugar whichis edible, is partially refined by washing the
initially crystalized sucrose with steam in the centerfuge, but is not
redisolved or treated further.  Turbinado has much the same composition
as brown sugar.
	:
	:
Perhaps because its name invokes fruit, fructose has been praised as more
"natural" than table sugar, more healthful, and less conductive to weight
gain.  However, any fructose sold in crystalline form as a replacment for
table sugar is likely to be even more refined and less "natural" than
sucrose, since it is usually obtanied by dividing pure sucrose into its
glucose and fructose halves, and then isolating the latter.  It is true
that because fructose tastes sweeter than sucrose but contains only half
the calories - it being only half of a sucrose molecule - fructose
supplies more sweetness per calorie consumed."

[Source:  "On Food and Cooking" by Harold McGee, Carles Scribner's Sons,
 1984.  An excelant book - highly recomended.  It was voted one of the
 best reference books of the year, and so is likely to be in your local
 library.  Otherwise it's $29.95 at better bookstores. ]

BillW

scott@cdp.UUCP (10/08/85)

I seem to remember reading that sucrose is the only sugar that causes
tooth decay, but I've been skeptical.  Does anyone know if this is
the case?  If so, honey at least won't rot your teeth as much
as table sugar, since honey is only 1.4% sucrose.

Scott Weikart
Community Data Processing: 415-322-9069
{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax,cbosgd,hao,purdue,duke,...}!hplabs!cdp!scott