[comp.unix.questions] Toshiba laptop Unix

cracraft@venera.isi.edu (Stuart Cracraft) (08/26/88)

Has anyone actually seen the T5100 laptop portable Unix box
from Toshiba? Rumored to have a 40Mb winchester, 80x86 at 16mhz,
various options such as an Ethernet interface, modem interface, etc.

	Stuart

ssa@mrsvr.UUCP (6607) (08/26/88)

From article <6149@venera.isi.edu>, by cracraft@venera.isi.edu (Stuart Cracraft):
> Has anyone actually seen the T5100 laptop portable Unix box
> from Toshiba? Rumored to have a 40Mb winchester, 80x86 at 16mhz,
> various options such as an Ethernet interface, modem interface, etc.
>
> 	Stuart

	Read the August issue of Unix World Magazine.  They have tested the
	T5100.

	S Alavi.

miken@hcr.UUCP (Mike Nemeth) (08/29/88)

we have one here, running Interactive's 386ix. 4 Meg ram, 40 Meg disk,
gas plasma display, sysV.3 (i think), can run dos (yech!) under VPIX,
serial port, parallel port, plug for optional RGB monitor (don't have
one), nice feeling keyboard (control key in the right place! :-),
3.5" disk, really cyberpunk looking, impressive. so much for the pros,
the cons are: 4M and 40M are it as far as i know, so you're stuck when
ram prices drop (please god, let it be soon), the display isn't very
bright (but you can get used to it), it's AC only (you can get a battery
pack now), and it weighs 15 lbs, which is signifigant when you lug it for
farther then 50 feet. it's sysV, so no job control.

conclusion: i like it, but i'll probably wait for a larger ram/disk
model to come out. awfully tempting though.

--

		Mike Nemeth
HCR Corporation, 130 Bloor St. W., Toronto, Ontario, Canada

	"more logic than Mr Spock!"

jimt@ism780c.isc.com (Jim Truher) (08/29/88)

Yep, I've seen it!
works very nice too.

george@rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe) (08/29/88)

In article <6149@venera.isi.edu> cracraft@venera.isi.edu (Stuart Cracraft) writes:
>Has anyone actually seen the T5100 laptop portable Unix box
>from Toshiba? Rumored to have a 40Mb winchester, 80x86 at 16mhz,
>various options such as an Ethernet interface, modem interface, etc.

I've had one for several (maybe 4 or 5) months.  They're readily available
by mail order usually for under $5,000.  It is an 80386 at 16 MHz, 40 MB
of fast disk, 2 MB (expandable on mother board to 4 MB) RAM, 1.4 MB 3.5"
diskette, EGA gas plasma (with AT&T compatible extension to 640 x 400),
auto power switching, very, very compatible, and many other features too
numerous to mention.  I like it.  Good warranty too.  The price is not
so out of line if you price a similar fully configured desk top system.

Modems are available from Toshiba and a number of 3rd party sources which
use it's internal expansion slot.  At least one 3rd party (I don't remember
who off hand) has an Ethernet interface for it.  Toshiba offers a external
expansion chassis also (about 5 full length, standard 8-bit PC slots).

I'm just a satisfied customer.

--
George M. Sipe,		Phone: (404) 662-1533
Tolerant Systems, 6961 Peachtree Industrial, Norcross, GA  30071

dab@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Dave Bozak) (08/30/88)

>>Has anyone actually seen the T5100 laptop portable Unix box
>>from Toshiba? Rumored to have a 40Mb winchester, 80x86 at 16mhz,
>
>I've had one for several (maybe 4 or 5) months.  They're readily available

What flavor UNIX is it running?  What sort of utilities?  What sort
of performance?

-dave bozak
 dab@rocky.oswego.edu