[comp.unix.questions] fun with Unix

cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jonathan Sweedler) (08/08/88)

On the lighter side...

A friend showed me a couple of 'cute' side effects in Unix.  Try typeing
"make love" or "got a light?" from the csh prompt (the second one must be
from csh, the first one doesn't matter).  Does any one know any more lines
such as these?

--
Jonathan Sweedler  ===  National Semiconductor Israel
UUCP:    ...!{amdahl,hplabs,decwrl}!nsc!taux01!cjosta

barbanis@read.columbia.edu (George Barbanis) (08/08/88)

In article <880@taux01.UUCP> cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jonathan Sweedler) writes:
>On the lighter side...
>
>A friend showed me a couple of 'cute' side effects in Unix.  Try typeing
>"make love" or "got a light?" from the csh prompt (the second one must be
>from csh, the first one doesn't matter).  Does any one know any more lines
>such as these?

Again from csh, try this:
^What is saccharine?

Disclaimer:  I don't use csh myself, nor do I condone its usage.  Go ahead,
flame me.  See if I care.
\gb

gjc@Portia.Stanford.EDU (George J. Chen) (08/09/88)

In article <880@taux01.UUCP> cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jonathan Sweedler) writes:
>On the lighter side...
>
>A friend showed me a couple of 'cute' side effects in Unix.  Try typeing
>"make love" or "got a light?" from the csh prompt (the second one must be
>from csh, the first one doesn't matter).  Does any one know any more lines
>such as these?

Try 'rm God'.

George

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (08/09/88)

In article <880@taux01.UUCP> cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jonathan Sweedler) writes:
 On the lighter side...

 A friend showed me a couple of 'cute' side effects in Unix.  Try typeing
 "make love" or "got a light?" from the csh prompt (the second one must be
 from csh, the first one doesn't matter).  Does any one know any more lines
 such as these?

Try:

% Unmatched ".

--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511

plotkin@spot.Colorado.EDU (PLOTKIN LEONID KIM) (08/09/88)

     Strange.  When I try

]rm God

     I get

rm: God nonexistent

jpd@eecs.nwu.edu (J. Phillip Draughon) (08/09/88)

Using the Version 7 shell, try

		cat "food in cans"

					--jpd

bhj@bhjat.UUCP (Burt Janz) (08/09/88)

Typing "make sense" works, too.

rustcat@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Vallury Prabhakar) (08/09/88)

# In article <880@taux01.UUCP> cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jonathan Sweedler) writes:

# A friend showed me a couple of 'cute' side effects in Unix.  Try typeing
# "make love" or "got a light?" from the csh prompt (the second one must be
# from csh, the first one doesn't matter).  Does any one know any more lines
# such as these?

'n then comes these durned new-fangled vurshuns of Uneeeex, which sez..

make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `love'.

Sumthin' shure be lost in them upgrade translashuns, what???

hartley@uvm-gen.UUCP (Stephen J. Hartley) (08/09/88)

< Try:		[in csh]
<
< % Unmatched ".

Hmmmmm ....  Could this be the shortest self-reproducing (self-replicating)
csh program?
--
Stephen J. Hartley, Dept Comp Sci EE, Univ Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405
CSNET,ARPANET: hartley@uvm.EDU			(802) 656-3330, 862-5323

squires@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Matt Squires) (08/09/88)

/ hpcvlx:comp.unix.questions /
cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jonathan Sweedler) /
3:16 am  Aug  8, 1988 /

> A friend showed me a couple of 'cute' side effects in Unix.  Try typeing
> "make love" or "got a light?" from the csh prompt (the second one must be
> from csh, the first one doesn't matter).  Does any one know any more lines
> such as these?

On system 5, there is always `Why did the Morris the cat starve when
locked in the 9-lives warehouse?'

cat "food in cans"

---
mcs

inc@tc.fluke.COM (Gary Benson) (08/09/88)

You tricky fellows! I tried that 'rm God' thing, but I just *knew* you guys
were up to something. Good thing I renamed God before I did it. Otherwise,
this "fun with unix" trick would have destroyed the one file I ever really
believed in! So before I rm'ed it, (and I might suggest you other neophytes
do the same before you try this at home), I first went like this:

    mv God Heaven

It worked! When I did the rm, I got that divinely humorous message:

    God: no such file or directory.

Sure cracked me up. I really liked 'got a light', too.

--
Gary Benson		   -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-inc@tc.fluke.com_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Publication Services	   Ensign Benson, Space Cadet, Digital Circus, Sector R

nancy@ncrats.UUCP (Nancy Gilstrap) (08/10/88)

In article <880@taux01.UUCP> cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jonathan Sweedler) writes:
>On the lighter side...
>
>A friend showed me a couple of 'cute' side effects in Unix.  Try typeing
>"make love" or "got a light?" from the csh prompt (the second one must be
>from csh, the first one doesn't matter).  Does any one know any more lines
>such as these?

Try "cat food".

	-Nancy

In article <282@ncrats.UUCP> nancy@ncrats.UUCP (Nancy Gilstrap) writes:
>In article <880@taux01.UUCP> cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jonathan Sweedler) writes:
>>On the lighter side...
>
>Try "cat food".
>
>	-Nancy

'Xcuse me. Should have read: Try "cat catfood". Much cuter this way.

-N

rusty@hocpa.UUCP (M.W.HADDOCK) (08/10/88)

In article <880@taux01.UUCP> cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jonathan Sweedler) writes:
   >On the lighter side...
Got a light?

   >"make love" or "got a light?" from the csh prompt (the second one must be
   >from csh, the first one doesn't matter).  Does any one know any more lines
   >such as these?

Using the ol' Bourne shell (sh) try this one:

	drink < bottle

It should come back and say

	bottle: cannot open

This plus the two you mentioned were the only ones I have known.
If there are any more let's hear about them.   These little diddies
totally amaze them psychology-types around here. :-)

		-Rusty-
---
Rusty Haddock {uunet!likewise,cbosgd,rutgers!mtune}!hocpa!rusty
AT&T Consumer Products Laboratories - Human Factors Laboratory
Holmdel, New Joyzey 07733   (201) 834-1023  rusty@hocpa.att.com
--

cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) (08/10/88)

In article <282@ncrats.UUCP> nancy@ncrats.UUCP (Nancy Gilstrap) writes:
>Try "cat food".

My cat gives 'food: No such file or directory'.				;-)

What does your cat reply?						;^)

-JimC
--
batcomputer!cloos@cornell.UUCP  |James H. Cloos, Jr.|#include <disclaimer.h>
cloos@batcomputer.tn.cornell.EDU|B7 Upson, Cornell U|#include <cute_stuff.h>

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (08/10/88)

Or cat doors

master@uop.edu (The President) (08/11/88)

Also try %make love
This will show the truth about those geeks who wrote unix...

leons%mogul@Sun.COM (Leon A. Shirman) (08/11/88)

How about "sleep with me"?

Leon

leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) (08/11/88)

In article <370@hocpa.UUCP> rusty@hocpa.UUCP (91341-M.W.HADDOCK) writes:
|Using the ol' Bourne shell (sh) try this one:
|
|	drink < bottle
|
|It should come back and say
|
|	bottle: cannot open

Nice. But make it a little longer:

	drink < bottle; opener

                     Leo.

leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) (08/11/88)

Another fun category (only limited by your imagination 8-):

Try, using the Bourne sh (on a BSD system):

	PATH=pretending! /usr/ucb/which sense

                   Leo.

leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) (08/11/88)

In article <370@hocpa.UUCP> rusty@hocpa.UUCP (91341-M.W.HADDOCK) writes:
>Using the ol' Bourne shell (sh) try this one:
>
>	drink < bottle
>
>It should come back and say
>
>	bottle: cannot open

On a BSD system (still thirsty)

	sccs what bottle

gives:

	can't open bottle (26)

I admit it can become hard after such a number ;-).

              Leo.

saal@sfsup.UUCP (S.Saal) (08/11/88)

Is any one keeping all of these?  Hope so.  If there is someone
doing so, please post the whole thing in a week or so.
--
Sam Saal         ..!attunix!saal
Vayiphtach HaShem et Peah HaAtone

nancy@ncrats.UUCP (Nancy Gilstrap) (08/11/88)

In article <5853@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> cloos@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (James H. Cloos Jr.) writes:
>In article <282@ncrats.UUCP> nancy@ncrats.UUCP (Nancy Gilstrap) writes:
>>Try "cat food".
>
>My cat gives 'food: No such file or directory'.				;-)
>
>What does your cat reply?						;^)

cat: cannot open food
        or better yet
cat: cannot open catfood

You're right, yours lost something in the translation.

jfh@rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (08/11/88)

In article <63797@sun.uucp> leons@sun.UUCP (Leon A. Shirman) writes:
>How about "sleep with me"?

these would be funniest if you'd print the behavior you get.  all i
get is

$ sleep with me
usage: sleep time
$

which just doesn't seem funny.  i'd expected `invalid argument' or
something ...
--
John F. Haugh II                 +--------- Cute Chocolate Quote ---------
HASA, "S" Division               | "USENET should not be confused with

plapp@cod.UUCP (08/11/88)

Also try-

"man: Why did you get a divorce?"

----

gene@cooper.cooper.EDU (Gene (the Spook) ) (08/12/88)

in article <880@taux01.UUCP>, cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jonathan Sweedler) says:

> On the lighter side...
>
> A friend showed me a couple of 'cute' side effects in Unix.  Try typeing
> "make love" or "got a light?" from the csh prompt (the second one must be
> from csh, the first one doesn't matter).  Does any one know any more lines
> such as these?

It's always amusing to have junk files like 'food' or 'shit' lying
around in your $HOME directory. That way you can amaze all your friends
by typing
		cat food
or
		cat shit
when you have someone looking over your shoulder! Loads of laughs!

						Spookfully yours,
						Gene

						...!cmcl2!cooper!gene

"Bring the little ones unto me, and I will get a good price for them."
					Dr. Bertram X. Fegg

eichel@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Jeff Eichel) (08/12/88)

Try:
    man ' automatic insertion'

or :
   man rear

rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM (Randy_Davis) (08/12/88)

In article <63797@sun.uucp> leons@sun.UUCP (Leon A. Shirman) writes:
>How about "sleep with me"?
>
>Leon

  O.K.  If you are logged in to a 3B2 as root, try

# uadmin 2 0

(Hint: you might want to make sure there are no users on the system first.)

Randy

leons%mogul@Sun.COM (Leon A. Shirman) (08/12/88)

In article <5335@rpp386.UUCP> jfh@rpp386.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:

>these would be funniest if you'd print the behavior you get.  all i
>get is
>
>$ sleep with me
>usage: sleep time
>$

On my machine I get:

% sleep with me
bad character
%

Leon

jsb@actnyc.UUCP (The Invisible Man) (08/12/88)

Or, try the Jimmy Hoffa command:

$ Jimmy Hoffa

--
		"Notitiae gratia notitiarum"
				jim (uunet!actnyc!jsb)

tittle@ics.uci.edu (Cindy Tittle) (08/12/88)

In article <5335@rpp386.UUCP> jfh@rpp386.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:
>these would be funniest if you'd print the behavior you get.  all i get is
>
>$ sleep with me
>usage: sleep time
>$

I get:
% sleep with me
bad character

I do hope someone is keeping track of these, preferably with the appropriate
response included...!

--
   __   __  _______  __  Cindy Tittle   ARPA: tittle@ics.uci.edu
  / /  / / / _____/ / /                 UUCP: {sdcsvax|ucbvax}!ucivax!tittle

oosten@dutinfd.UUCP (Gertjan van Oosten) (08/12/88)

You might also try:

% wait for world peace

and:

% nice man woman

Ok, I know this is getting out of hand; perhaps we should stick to the funny
ones. !')

                      G.J. van Oosten.

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temporate."

't Is not much of a compliment these days.....

dcon@ihlpe.ATT.COM (452is-Connet) (08/12/88)

In article <5335@rpp386.UUCP> jfh@rpp386.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:
>In article <63797@sun.uucp> leons@sun.UUCP (Leon A. Shirman) writes:
>>How about "sleep with me"?
>$ sleep with me
>usage: sleep time

$ sleep with me
sleep: bad character in argument

In article <319@occrsh.ATT.COM> rjd@occrsh.UUCP (Randy_Davis) writes:
>  O.K.  If you are logged in to a 3B2 as root, try
># uadmin 2 0
>(Hint: you might want to make sure there are no users on the system first.)

That's downright nasty!

(A further hint, you may want to do a few 'sync's first)

deke@socrates.ee.rochester.edu (Deke Kassabian) (08/12/88)

This is driving me crazy (OK, so it probably doesn't take all that much
as I'm probably most of the way there most of the time)

Lately it has become a fad on this newsgroup to suggest UNIX shell command
lines that produce funny results...... much to (apparently) almost everyone's
confusion.  The cause, I think, of most of this confusion is the fact that
the posters are neglecting to mention **which** shell, or rm, or cat they
are using.  In particular, funny behaviour depending on metacharacters like
'?' will only work under shells that try to expand/match based on those
characters (the csh works nicely here).  Things that are funny due to syntax
like "cannot open" only work in S5 environments (cat catfood just isn't as
funny in BSD land).

Its not that I don't have a sense of humor, but lots of folks seem baffled,
and there is an easy solution.....  Tell us about your environment when you
post your "fun with Unix(sic)".

OK.  So here's my ridiculous contribution.  Should work anywhere that 'make'
exists, S5 or BSD (I think):

try:
        make 'heads or tails of all this'

^Deke
 \\\  Deke Kassabian, URochester Department of Electrical Engineering  \\\
  \\\ deke@ee.rochester.edu                  "I never metacharacter     \\\
   \\\   or ...!rochester!ur-valhalla!deke     I didn't like......"      \\\
          Quick as a wink, the sly cat stole Monroe's cheese sandwich

mikep@ism780c.isc.com (Michael A. Petonic) (08/13/88)

In article <1640@uop.edu> master@uop.edu (The President) writes:
Header is :
>>From: master@uop.edu (The President)

 >Also try %make love
 >This will show the truth about those geeks who wrote unix...

How modest of you.

-MikeP
--
Michael A. Petonic				mikep@ism780c.isc.com

        ``When was the last time you dug a ditch, baby?''

mikep@ism780c.isc.com (Michael A. Petonic) (08/13/88)

In article <5335@rpp386.UUCP> jfh@rpp386.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:
 >In article <63797@sun.uucp> leons@sun.UUCP (Leon A. Shirman) writes:
 >>How about "sleep with me"?
 >these would be funniest if you'd print the behavior you get.  all i
 >get is
 >
 >$ sleep with me
 >usage: sleep time
 >$
 >
 >which just doesn't seem funny.  i'd expected `invalid argument' or
 >something ...

On BSD, it prints out:
	$ sleep with me
	bad character

A little funnier than System V.

-MikeP
--
Michael A. Petonic				mikep@ism780c.isc.com

        ``When was the last time you dug a ditch, baby?''

schuetz@iravcl.ira.uka.de (08/13/88)

Also try:
		who is smart

Does anybody remember how to get a result like

	cannot smoke on a broken pipe

? This once was on a SIG tape.

Cheers, Elmar

gregj@microsoft.UUCP (Greg Jones) (08/13/88)

If you like cats, there are lots of things you can do with "cat":

$ cat fur
$ cat box
$ cat sh*t
$ cat sndogs

Or how about this one:

$ lex luthor

or:

$ yacc ity yacc

decvax!microsof!gregj

I'm not a Xenoid, I'm a LANShark.

asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) (08/13/88)

In article <Aug.12.22.31.31.1988.1843@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
; C'mon, real programmers know that the correct response is:
;
; 	.MAKE LOVE
; 	Not War?
; 	[4K CORE]

Gee, I didn't know there were still other OS/8 veterans out there.
Maybe we should keep this under wraps or they might grab us for
a captive breeding program to preserve the gene pool.

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (08/13/88)

In article <974@dutinfd.UUCP> oosten@dutinfd.UUCP (Gertjan van Oosten) writes:

>You might also try:
>
>% nice man woman

On my system the response to this is:

   No manual entry for woman

Of course, a "nice man" would not look for a __MANUAL__ entry for a woman ...
that's what vets do to cows (if one believes Herriott [ "All Creatures great and
small"]) ... I won't get more specific.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp%dcs@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) (08/14/88)

Adding to the: "cat door" type of cutsies,

To demonstrate that the first "word" on the command line is
interpreted as the command name, I often tell my students,
run the "jimmy hoffa" command -- tells you something about him!

Or is it the "judge landis crater" command?
"amelia airheart"???  --  spelling apologies in advance

--
Jon LaBadie
{att, ulysses, princeton}!jonlab!jon

hirayama@suvax1.UUCP (Pat Hirayama) (08/14/88)

From article <951@orion.cf.uci.edu>, by tittle@ics.uci.edu (Cindy Tittle):
> I do hope someone is keeping track of these, preferably with the appropriate
> response included...!

I have been.  I will post them all when this whole thing seems to have
quieted down.. :)

 Pat Hirayama, Computer & Information Services, Seattle U, Seattle, WA 98122

	 UUCP:  ..!uw-entropy!{dataio,thebes}!suvax1!hirayama
	   or:  suvax1!hirayama@entropy.ms.washington.edu

 Bove's Theorem:  The remaining work to finish in order to reach your goal
	increases as the deadline approaches.

art@buengc.BU.EDU (A. R. Thompson) (08/14/88)

In article <404@cpro.UUCP> asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) writes:
>In article <Aug.12.22.31.31.1988.1843@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>; C'mon, real programmers know that the correct response is:
>;
>; 	.MAKE LOVE
>; 	Not War?
>; 	[4K CORE]
>
>Gee, I didn't know there were still other OS/8 veterans out there.
>Maybe we should keep this under wraps or they might grab us for
>a captive breeding program to preserve the gene pool.

This is TOPS-10 talk.  Is it also OS/8 talk?

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (08/15/88)

Not OS/8, TOPS-10

gmg@yendor.UUCP (Gary Godfrey) (08/16/88)

How about this:  (Sys V.2)

% burn sh*t
No match.

Gary Godfrey - ACT, Reston, VA                  Phone:  (703)471-9433
UUCP: ..!{mimsy,sundc}!{prometheus,hqda-ai}!yendor!gmg

tracer@stb.UUCP (Jeff Boeing) (08/16/88)

In article <30676@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> eichel@cmcl2.UUCP (Jeff Eichel) writes:

>Try:
>    man ' automatic insertion'
>
>or :
>   man rear

man: Command not found

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
I don't get it.

---------------
P.S.  The funniest part of this message was Pnews telling me how much it was
going to cost the net to spread this drivel all around the world.
: ---
 Jeff Boeing:  ...!uunet!stb.uucp!tracer
"The greatest thing you ever learn          -- Nat King Cole,
 Is just to love, and be loved in return."     _Nature_Boy_

gwyn@smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) (08/16/88)

In article <170@iravcl.ira.uka.de>, schuetz@iravcl.ira.uka.de writes:
> Also try:
> 		who is smart

$ who is smart
smoke.brl.mil!gwyn     ttyq0   Aug 16 11:38	(vgr.brl.mil)
$

True, but not particularly funny, is it?

Please POST WHAT YOU THINK IS THE "ANSWER" along with your "try this".
Or better yet don't post this stuff to comp.unix.questions (INFO-UNIX).
The S/N ratio is already remarkably low.

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (08/16/88)

  Or how about this one:

$ strip bra

  Kind of interesting...

+========================================+===================+
|Dean Brooks @ Copper Electronics, Inc.  | Gravity is a myth,|
|4200 Produce Road, Louisville Ky. 40208 |  The earth sucks. |
|AT: (502)-968-8495                      |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
|UU: ihnp4!think!bloom-beacon!coplex!dean|    Eat at Joes    |
|DO: dean@coplex.UUCP                    |=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=+
+========================================+===================+

gmg@yendor.UUCP (Gary Godfrey) (08/17/88)

Another one occured to me - after seeing someone elses... Again,
Sys V.2 (csh)

% A stitch in time ain't worth two in the bush.
Unmatched '.

Also:

% setenv "Why not?"
setenv: Too few arguments.

vch@attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) (08/17/88)

In article <2541@yendor.UUCP>, gmg@yendor.UUCP writes:
> How about this:  (Sys V.2)
> % burn sh*t
> No match.

I get (on SysVr2)
burn: not found

Where'd you get *your* UNIX??? AT&T isn't as funny as it used to be.

--
Vincent C. Hatem                            | att ---->\ (available from any
AT&T International                          | ulysses ->\ Action Central site)

Ms-Pepper@cup.portal.com (08/17/88)

From an article that I posted earlier:
<From csh, try this:
<
<% \(-
<
<(The response will have you wondering if csh has *any* sense of humor at
<all...)

Some people have been asking what the response would be, as they
dont have csh, so here it is:

	% \(-

	(-: Not found.

(If you don't get it, tilt your head to the right and look again. Yep,
it's a smiley face in ASCII-ese!)

-- Angeli "Ms. Pepper" Wahlstedt

ms-pepper@cup.portal.com or pepper@dasys1.UUCP

yedidya@bimacs.BITNET (Yedidya Israel) (08/17/88)

Newsgroups: rec.humor
Subject: Re: fun with Unix
In article <813@buengc.BU.EDU> art@buengc.bu.edu (A. R. Thompson) writes:
>In article <404@cpro.UUCP> asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) writes:
>>In article <Aug.12.22.31.31.1988.1843@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.ed
u (Ron Natalie) writes:
>>; C'mon, real programmers know that the correct response is:
>>;
>>;         .MAKE LOVE
>>;         Not War?
>>;         [4K CORE]
>>
>>Gee, I didn't know there were still other OS/8 veterans out there.
>>Maybe we should keep this under wraps or they might grab us for
>>a captive breeding program to preserve the gene pool.

If you still want to have a "not war?" just put these lines in your
Makefile.

love:
        @echo Not War\?

scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (08/18/88)

In article <404@cpro.UUCP> asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) writes:
>In article <Aug.12.22.31.31.1988.1843@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>; C'mon, real programmers know that the correct response is:
>;
>; 	.MAKE LOVE
>; 	Not War?
>; 	[4K CORE]
>
>Gee, I didn't know there were still other OS/8 veterans out there.
>Maybe we should keep this under wraps or they might grab us for
>a captive breeding program to preserve the gene pool.

Actually that's not OS/8 (opps, just dated myself here) but TECO that
gives the 'Not War?' response. As far as I can tell ALL versions of TECO
(including the VMS version) do this.
<scw>

Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASNET; 2567 BH;LA CA 90024; (213)-825-8614
UUCP: ...!{{inhp4,ucbvax,{hao!cepu}}!ucla-cs,ibmsupt!ollie}!scw
ARPA:scw@SEAS.UCLA.EDU  <-note change from cs.ucla.edu

andrew@riddle.UUCP (Andrew Beattie) (08/18/88)

When using strange terminals (strange = not in termcap) to edit files, I
am inclined to force vi to use open mode by typing:

$ TERM=crap export TERM
$ vi

On one of the older systems around here (system 3 I think, but I can't
get it to boot to check), vi complains saying:

$ vi
Terminal type unknown, all I have is crap
using open mode
:

link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (08/18/88)

In article <15287@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Stephen C. Woods) writes:
>In article <404@cpro.UUCP> asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) writes:
>>In article <Aug.12.22.31.31.1988.1843@topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>>; C'mon, real programmers know that the correct response is:
>>;
>>; 	.MAKE LOVE
>>; 	Not War?
>>; 	[4K CORE]
>>
>>Gee, I didn't know there were still other OS/8 veterans out there.
>
>Actually that's not OS/8 (opps, just dated myself here) but TECO that
>gives the 'Not War?'

Does anyone out there think this is funny?

I'm sick (&tired) of "UNIX jokes". As far as I'm concerned, "UNIX jokes"
is merely a statement of reality.

Come on Ken Ritchie, you could have thought better than 'ls' for 'dir'.

You UNIX types who think this kind of drivel is funny, go start a
UNIX.LAME.BRAIN.OS newsgroup.

And lets get some REAL humor, not mereley comments about a joke operating
system.

And forget your flames, I've heard them all before. But, if you insist,
post them in comp.sys.... where they are more appropriate.

Rick Link
link@ssl.berkeley.edu

meyer@ztivax.UUCP (Veronika Meyer) (08/18/88)

strip bra

  I got
        strip: bra: No such file or directory

  is that to be funny???

	I am paid to work and to think for my employer - so I do.
	I am NOT paid to speak for my employer - so I don't.

NAME:      Veronika Meyer                          ene mene miste
COMPANY:   SIEMENS AG, Dep. ZTI SOF 42             es rappelt in der Kiste
UUCP,ARPA: meyer@ztivax.uucp                       ene mene meck
CSNET:     meyer%ztivax.uucp@uunet.uu.net          und du bist weg

paulf@Jessica.stanford.edu (Paul Flaherty) (08/18/88)

In article <13418@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) writes:
>Come on Ken Ritchie, you could have thought better than 'ls' for 'dir'.
>You UNIX types who think this kind of drivel is funny, go start a
>UNIX.LAME.BRAIN.OS newsgroup.
>Rick Link

I don't know about you, but this was the most hilarious posting I've ever seen
on net.jokes/rec.humor...:-)

Objoke:

% set i="Democratic_Platform"; mkdir $i; chmod 000 $i; ls $i

-=Paul Flaherty, N9FZX      | "There is no distinctly American criminal class
->paulf@shasta.Stanford.EDU | except Congress." -- Mark Twain

kaldis@topaz.rutgers.edu (Theodore A. Kaldis) (08/18/88)

In article <13418@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) writes:

> I'm sick (&tired) of "UNIX jokes". As far as I'm concerned, "UNIX jokes"
> is merely a statement of reality.

> Come on Ken Ritchie, you could have thought better than 'ls' for 'dir'.
              ^^^^^^^

You are confusing *Dennis* Ritchie, the developer of the C programming
language (and co-author, along with Brian Kernighan, of the book of
the same title) with Ken *Thompson*, the developer of UNIX (which
ironically started out as a *single*-user operating system).
--
              Theodore A. Kaldis                      |  "Perhaps we may
              +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-                      |   frighten away

link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (08/19/88)

In rec.humor, you can insult Italian grandmothers, you can insult
sorority girls, you can insult...

But you CAN'T insult UNIX!

Looks like  I've picked on a sacred cow.

Come on people, mellow out!

Rick Link
link@ssl.berkeley.edu

sbs576@leah.Albany.Edu (S Snyder ) (08/19/88)

I think that what we have forgotten about is that man as we know us to
be today are the nuts sent over from another planet (I don't recall the
name).  The cavemen were dying out and the new arrivals kept the
program running.  Hence the question is warped (as well as the fact that
the earth was destroyed just before the program was completed).

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (08/19/88)

In article <3359@Portia.Stanford.EDU> paulf@Jessica.stanford.edu (Paul Flaherty) writes:
>In article <13418@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) writes:
>>Come on Ken Ritchie, you could have thought better than 'ls' for 'dir'.
>>You UNIX types who think this kind of drivel is funny, go start a
>>UNIX.LAME.BRAIN.OS newsgroup.
>>Rick Link
>
>I don't know about you, but this was the most hilarious posting I've ever seen
>on net.jokes/rec.humor...:-)

It is not the fault of the UNIX designers, it is the fault of the
MULTICS/GCOS designers, which is where ls (and stty) came from

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 459-7641; CP/M to MP/M, MS-DOS to OS/2

steve@dad.UUCP (Steve Cook) (08/19/88)

in article <13418@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link)
moans and groans:

> And lets get some REAL humor, not mereley comments about a joke operating
> system.

   So tell me Richard, do you ever post jokes or just complain
   about stuff which you don't find humorous?
--
 If ya can't say summin' nice, flame em.....
 {hplsla,uw-beaver}!tikal!dad!steve

seindal@freja.dk (Rene' Seindal) (08/24/88)

Here is another one.  Under SunOS4.0, try

	/usr/etc/shutdown now

It is funniest on a big file server.  Your system administrator will love it.
(Looks like Sun has done it again :-))

Rene' Seindal, DIKU, U. of Copenhagen, Denmark. (seindal@diku.dk)

mike@pcsbst.UUCP (Mike Schroeder) (08/24/88)

In article <40@attibr.UUCP> vch@attibr.UUCP (Vincent C. Hatem) writes:
>In article <2541@yendor.UUCP>, gmg@yendor.UUCP writes:
>> How about this:  (Sys V.2)
>> % burn sh*t
>> No match.
>I get (on SysVr2)
>burn: not found
>Where'd you get *your* UNIX??? AT&T isn't as funny as it used to be.
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This reminds me of the recent one

$ strip bra  (or, as I remember it, "strip girl")

On V.2, this would give "girl already stripped". But on V.3, that
doesn't work (I just get the prompt back). Is this just on our
machines or general to V.3? If so, I have to agree with the above
statement !-(.

Mike Schroeder			(cochise!mike@pcsbst.UUCP)
PCS GmbH; Pfaelzer-Wald-Str. 36; D-8000 Muenchen 90; W. Germany
UUCP:  ...uunet!unido!pcsbst!msc
PS: anyone seen my disclaimer wandering around ?-)

JJones@sunkissed.aero.org (Jeffrey R. Jones) (08/27/88)

In article <3315@ihlpe.ATT.COM> dcon@ihlpe.UUCP (David Connet) writes:
>In article <5335@rpp386.UUCP> jfh@rpp386.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:
>>In article <63797@sun.uucp> leons@sun.UUCP (Leon A. Shirman) writes:
>>>How about "sleep with me"?
>>$ sleep with me
>>usage: sleep time
>
>$ sleep with me
>sleep: bad character in argument
Our system gives:
%sleep with me
Usage: sleep time-in-seconds
%

JJones@dockmaster.arpa   |'You think that I'll be bad for just a little
jeff@aerospace.aero.org  | while, but I know that I'll be BAD for GOOD!'

woods@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) (08/27/88)

In article <36702@aero.ARPA> JJones@sunkissed.UUCP (Jeffrey R. Jones) writes:
>In article <3315@ihlpe.ATT.COM> dcon@ihlpe.UUCP (David Connet) writes:
>>>$ sleep with me
>>>usage: sleep time
>>$ sleep with me
>>sleep: bad character in argument
>Our system gives:
>%sleep with me
>Usage: sleep time-in-seconds

% sleep with me?
No match.

I think this was the originally intented line.  We really must be more
careful when we read these things.  There have been so many complaints
about people not specifying the environment in this series of articles,
but I think the problem is often people not paying attention to what
they are reading.  For instance, in my example, and the previous, it
should be obvious that you must use the C-shell.

It's not that funny anyway :-(
--
						Greg Woods.

UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{ontmoh, ontmoh!ixpierre}!woods
VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (08/28/88)

> >; C'mon, real programmers know that the correct response is:
> >;
> >; 	.MAKE LOVE
> >; 	Not War?
> >; 	[4K CORE]

Anyone out there with a TOPS-10 running MIC might like to try

 .GOTO HELL

You should get the response

 "Get Stuffed"

--
  _____      Jonathan Knight,                || JANET: jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs
    /        Department of Computer Science  || UUCP:  ...!ukc!kl-cs!jonathan

hwt@leibniz.UUCP (Henry Troup) (08/30/88)

On Sun OS 3.5, the response to
-> sleep with me
is
bad character

Which is mildly amusing.

--
Henry Troup
Bell Northern Research - not their opinions, however

utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-di!leibniz!hwt

cja@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Charles J. Antonelli) (08/30/88)

In article <1988Aug27.163325.532@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> woods@gpu.utcs.Toronto.EDU (Greg Woods) writes:
>% sleep with me?
>No match.
>
>I think this was the originally intented line.  ...

no no no.  sleep's original diagnostic was simply `bad character':
	% sleep with me
	bad character

>It's not that funny anyway :-(

i totally agree.  here are various, far funnier responses:

	Out of phase--get help
	BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
	Reboot failed...help!
	NFS server bleah not responding still trying
	panic: exit
	/: file system full
	No files saved.

and the perennial favorite

	segmentation violation - core dumped

:-)

Charles J. Antonelli          Internet: cja@crim.eecs.umich.edu
44 ATL, 1101 Beal Ave.        Uucp: {ihnp4,umix,citi}!umich!eecs.umich.edu!cja
The University of Michigan    Phone: 313-936-9362
Ann Arbor, MI   49109-2210    "When the going gets tough, the tough reboot."