[comp.unix.questions] CURSES Tutorials

pete@tutor.UUCP (Peter Schmitt) (08/29/88)

I would like any information on books or tutorials on programming
with the curses library.

wu@spot.Colorado.EDU (WU SHI-KUEI) (08/29/88)

In article <430@tutor.UUCP> pete@tutor.UUCP (Peter Schmitt) writes:
>I would like any information on books or tutorials on programming
>with the curses library.

"Topics in C" by Kochan & Wood and "UNIX Systems Programming" by Haviland
and Salama contain chapters on curses.

Just a guest here - in real life:
Carl Brandauer
boulder!nbires!bdaemon!carl

serge@imag.imag.fr (Serge Rouveyrol) (08/30/88)

In article <430@tutor.UUCP> pete@tutor.UUCP (Peter Schmitt) writes:
>I would like any information on books or tutorials on programming
>with the curses library.

A Nutshell Handbook : Programming with Curses, by John Strang,
O'Reilly & Associate, Inc. 981 Chestnut Street , Newton MA 02164

--
"Les jours de pluie ...  etc ... "
serge@imag.imag.fr      serge@imag.UUCP      uunet.uu.net!imag!serge

seeger@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Charles Seeger) (08/31/88)

In article <3022@boulder.Colorado.EDU> wu@spot.Colorado.EDU (WU SHI-KUEI) writes:
>In article <430@tutor.UUCP> pete@tutor.UUCP (Peter Schmitt) writes:
>>I would like any information on books or tutorials on programming
>>with the curses library.
>
>"Topics in C" by Kochan & Wood and "UNIX Systems Programming" by Haviland
>and Salama contain chapters on curses.

Also try "Advanced C Programming for Displays" by Marc Rochkind (Prentice-
Hall, 1988).  This book discusses the implementation of an editor and
windows for character displays using termcap and curses for UNIX(tm) and
using BIOS calls and memory-mapped video for an IBM PC.  Curses comes out
being pretty slow.

Regards
Chuck

kucharsk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) (08/31/88)

There's a book (actually, it's more like a large pamphlet) on curses called
"Programming with Curses."  It's a "Nutshell Handbook(tm)" by O'Reilly &
Associates, Inc., and is pretty good.  It's pretty cheap (around $5 or so) too.

--
					William Kucharski

ARPA: kucharsk@uts.amdahl.com
UUCP: ...!{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are my own, and may not agree with
	     those of any other sentient being, not to mention those of my
	     employer.

nff0132@dsacg3.UUCP (Chuck Hoff) (08/31/88)

In article <430@tutor.UUCP>, pete@tutor.UUCP (Peter Schmitt) writes:
> I would like any information on books or tutorials on programming
> with the curses library.

The best book I've seen on Curses is the Nutshell Handbook titled
Programming with Curses which is available from

O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
171 Jackson Street
Newton, MA 02159
(617) 527-4210

You may be able to find it locally if your lucky.
I ordered my copy from Cucumber Books which is in the Wash D.C. area
sorry but I don't remember their address.
--
Chuck Hoff  (osu-cis!dsacg1!choff)  614-238-9785  (AV 850-9785)
From the Internet: choff%dsacg1.uucp@daitc.arpa    He who stands on own two feet

dave@clsib21.UUCP (David P. Hansen) (09/01/88)

In article <992@dsacg3.UUCP> nff0132@dsacg3.UUCP (Chuck Hoff) writes:
>In article <430@tutor.UUCP>, pete@tutor.UUCP (Peter Schmitt) writes:
>
>O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
>171 Jackson Street    <----\
>Newton, MA 02159           |

Old Address!---------------/
New one:
981 Chestnut Street
Newton, MA 02164

And they have the new X11 programming manuals out (3 vol set). Every reference
I've seen from this company has been excellant!
--
		ONLY BIG BABIES			    David P. Hansen, CLSI, Inc.
		ARE PRO-CHOICE!			    320 Nevada Street

tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) (09/02/88)

In article <adatw49ue.1010tlh=Q@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, kucharsk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (William Kucharski) writes:
> There's a book (actually, it's more like a large pamphlet) on curses called
> "Programming with Curses."  It's a "Nutshell Handbook(tm)" by O'Reilly &
> Associates, Inc., and is pretty good.  It's pretty cheap (around $5 or so) too

Actually, the book is $9 plus shipping if you order direct
from us.  It's also available in good technical bookstores
(such as Computer Literacy in various Silicon Valley
locations).  To order, call 1-800-338-NUTS.

--
Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks