[net.cooks] Net Power & Cottonseed Oil

nemo@rochester.UUCP (10/08/85)

From: Richard Newman-Wolfe  <nemo>

[here, have some cottonseed oil (and DIE, bug, DIE!)]

It has been pointed out to me that cotton & cottonseed oil are not
considered food by the powers that be, and growers are allowed to use
all sorts of icky pesticides not permitted on food crops.  If the
sprayed cotton is used for oil, it is highly likely that oily pesticides
will end up in the cottonseed oil as unmentioned ingredients.  Instead
of writing Nabisco(TM)(c)(etc) about cheese crackers, how about writing
your congressman about this really stupid and dangerous state of affairs?
Nemo

--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (10/09/85)

> It has been pointed out to me that cotton & cottonseed oil are not
> considered food by the powers that be, and growers are allowed to use
> all sorts of icky pesticides not permitted on food crops.  If the
> sprayed cotton is used for oil, it is highly likely that oily pesticides
> will end up in the cottonseed oil as unmentioned ingredients. ...

A RUMOR:  I have heard that some southern states have used arsenic
          pesticides in the past on tobacco.  They have so much of
          the residue in the soil that the land can legally be used
          only for non-food crops: Tobacco and Cotton ...

A FACT:   An area in China had very low fertility.  This was traced
          to the local habit of using a *LOT* of cottonseed oil in
          in cooking.  Current research has isolated a compound (named
          gossypol or some such) that shows promise as a male
          contraceptive.  (It was a low sperm count in males that
          caused the low fertility)

A QUESTION: Would you want to eat cottonseed oil?

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)