[comp.unix.questions] "anon ftp" -- just how does this work, anyway?

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (09/11/88)

Ok, I've *finally* got an Inet/ARPA address, with all the goodies
that come along with it.  I've been trying to "anonymous ftp" files,
and I'm beginning to believe it's just a big joke on us Unix types. :-)

Just how does it work?  I can ftp <site> with no problem, but then
it wants me to login.  I tried anon, ftp, anonymous, etc and nothing
seems to work.  Is there a standard login for this, or is it a commandline
option that I missed along the way?

Email, I'll summarize....

--
Skate Unix.
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (09/13/88)

In article <317@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>Ok, I've *finally* got an Inet/ARPA address, with all the goodies
>that come along with it.
lucky shit

>                          I've been trying to "anonymous ftp" files,
>and I'm beginning to believe it's just a big joke on us Unix types. :-)

login: ftp
password: ftp

that easy
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 459-7641; CP/M to MP/M, MS-DOS to OS/2

steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett) (09/14/88)

----- News saved at 13 Sep 88 21:29:17 GMT
In article <329@uncle.UUCP> jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>In article <317@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>>Ok, I've *finally* got an Inet/ARPA address, with all the goodies
>>that come along with it.  I've been trying to "anonymous ftp" files,
>>and I'm beginning to believe it's just a big joke on us Unix types. :-)
>
>login: ftp
>password: ftp

	Uh, how about this:

	% ftp <random Internet site name/number here>
	  ftp prep.ai.mit.edu  (or ftp 128.52.32.14)

	(It will come up with some sort of connected message and a login-type
	 prompt indicating where you are ftp-ing to and your current login
	 name)

	  Name (prep.ai.mit.edu:steve): anonymous
	  331 Guest login ok, send ident as password
	  password: <anything here>
	  231 Guest login ok.  Access restrictions apply
	  ftp>

That's all there is to it.  The only problem you may come across is a site that
doesn't allow anonymous ftp, in which case it will send you some kind of error
message saying that the username wasn't found (or some such thing like that).

>that easy

	Almost.

>John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
>home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 459-7641; CP/M to MP/M, MS-DOS to OS/2

| Steve DeJarnett            | Smart Mailers -> steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU     |
| Computer Systems Lab       | Dumb Mailers  -> ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve |
| Cal Poly State Univ.       |------------------------------------------------|
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 | BITNET = Because Idiots Type NETwork           |
Newsgroups: unix-pc.general,comp.unix.questions,comp.misc
Subject: Re: "anon ftp" -- just how does this work, anyway?

In article <329@uncle.UUCP> jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>In article <317@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>>Ok, I've *finally* got an Inet/ARPA address, with all the goodies
>>that come along with it.  I've been trying to "anonymous ftp" files,
>>and I'm beginning to believe it's just a big joke on us Unix types. :-)
>
>login: ftp
>password: ftp

	Uh, how about this:

	% ftp <random Internet site name/number here>
	  ftp prep.ai.mit.edu  (or ftp 128.52.32.14)

	(It will come up with some sort of connected message and a login-type
	 prompt indicating where you are ftp-ing to and your current login
	 name)

	  Name (prep.ai.mit.edu:steve): anonymous
	  331 Guest login ok, send ident as password
	  password: <anything here>
	  231 Guest login ok.  Access restrictions apply
	  ftp>

That's all there is to it.  The only problem you may come across is a site that
doesn't allow anonymous ftp, in which case it will send you some kind of error
message saying that the username wasn't found (or some such thing like that).

>that easy

	Almost.

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (09/14/88)

In article <3920@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> steve@polyslo.UUCP (Steve DeJarnett) writes:
>In article <329@uncle.UUCP> jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>>In article <317@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:

>>lucky shit

>That's all there is to it.  The only problem you may come across is a site that
>doesn't allow anonymous ftp, in which case it will send you some kind of error
>message saying that the username wasn't found (or some such thing like that).

In my experience, it's NOT that simple.  Some installations are
so overloaded (or annonymous ftp logins are at such a low
priority) that you will get timed-out just waiting for the login
process to complete.

At times using ftp can be like trying to type immersed in a pool
of molasses using a terminal that may or may not echo what you've
typed.

Wild card expansion is NOT consistent over ftp installations.
Few who promise anonymous ftp logins tell you what the host
system is.  This leaves you without a clue to file name syntax.

The meaning of the "binary" switch seems inconsistent.  Between
UC machines, this must be on to transfer non-ascii files.
Turning the switch on with the Columbia Kermit server produces
mangled transfers.