[comp.unix.questions] Driver design manual from ATT for 3b2...

mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) (09/15/88)

Does anybody know how I can get the Driver Design Guide for 3b2s from
ATT?  I called them and they don't know what I am talking about.  I
guess I need to tell them the select code but I don't know it.

A while back, I read some people raveing about it and I wanna get one.
--
Mitchell Lerner -- UUCP:  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell
	Don't speak to him of your heartache, for he is speaking.

bowles@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Jeff Bowles) (09/15/88)

In article <2253@cadovax.UUCP> mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
>Does anybody know how I can get the Driver Design Guide for 3b2s from
>ATT?  I called them and they don't know what I am talking about.  I
>guess I need to tell them the select code but I don't know it.

I might be wrong, but I believe that the DDriver Design Guide was
proprietary and available only to source license customers and certain
others under contract only.

But you can order the "Driver Development Guide" (select code 307-191)
and the "Driver Reference Manual" (select code 307-192) if you're willing
to pay the $100-150 for them. They contain most of the information from
the Driver Design Guide, no contract required.

	Jeff Bowles

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (09/17/88)

In article <2253@cadovax.UUCP>, mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
> Does anybody know how I can get the Driver Design Guide for 3b2s from
> ATT?

When I searched the documentation lists from AT&T, all I ever found
was the "UNIX System V/VME Driver Design Guide", #307-771 Issue 1,
copyright 1986.  I paid about $60 for it.  It is very helpful, but
you must read through some VME specific stuff at times.

Much more cost effective is "Writing a UNIX Device Driver" by
Egan and Teixeira for $25.00 from Wiley.  Again must read through
MASSCOMP RTU specific details for generic Unix behavior.

Caveat: I have used these books to make small adjustments in some
existing drivers, but I have never written anything from scratch.

--
A. Lester Buck		...!uunet!nuchat!moray!siswat!buck