[comp.unix.questions] VT_100 emulation on SUN 2

lemetayer@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (09/12/88)

I have a SUN 2 with SUN's windowing environment, suntools.  I would like
to know if there is an available tool that would run in that environment
and that would emulate VT100 and VT200 series terminals for a remote access
to VAX/VMS systems (especially to use VMS's full screen editors).

Fabrice Le Metayer
Schlumberger Technologies
1601  Technology Drive
San Jose, California  95110-1397
(408) 437-5114

spolsky-avram@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (09/18/88)

In article <40@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com> lemetayer@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com writes:
| I have a SUN 2 with SUN's windowing environment, suntools.  I would like
| to know if there is an available tool that would run in that environment
| and that would emulate VT100 and VT200 series terminals for a remote access
| to VAX/VMS systems (especially to use VMS's full screen editors).

I thing shelltool or cmdtool, if you made them 24 x 80 exactly,
would emulate VT100 closely enough to work with VMS. There's also
something called vt100tool which I know nothing about.

Joel Spolsky             bitnet: spolsky@yalecs     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky
Yale University          arpa:   spolsky@yale.edu   voicenet: 203-436-1483
"You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause
some watery tart threw a sword at you!!"

guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (09/19/88)

> I thing shelltool or cmdtool, if you made them 24 x 80 exactly,
> would emulate VT100 closely enough to work with VMS.

Doubtful.  The terminal emulated by "shelltool" (and by later versions of
"cmdtool" when running in "full-screen" or "Disable Scrolling" mode) is an ANSI
X3.64-compliant terminal, just as a VT100 is; however, both terminals have a
number of "private" escape sequences (for which X3.64 makes provisions) that
are INcompatible.  One such escape sequence is the "set scrolling region"
escape sequence on a VT100, which doesn't exist in "shelltool"; instead, the
same sequence does something quite different (it sets the number of lines by
which the screen scrolls up).  Unfortunate, but true.

swilson%thetone@Sun.COM (Scott Wilson) (09/20/88)

>I thing shelltool or cmdtool, if you made them 24 x 80 exactly,
>would emulate VT100 closely enough to work with VMS. There's also
>something called vt100tool which I know nothing about.

Before I came to Sun I worked at a place that had several Vaxes
running VMS and we used Sun's Sunlink DNI (or somesuch) to connect
to the Dec machines.  DNI came with a vt100 emulator called vt100tool.
I don't know if it is available separately or how it's packaged, call
Sun sales.  As I remember vt100tool worked well both for connecting
to the Vax and for running ancient assembly lanuage programs on a remote
machine with vt100 escape sequences hardwired in.  I don't remember
what kind of keypad support it had (if you wanted to run edt on VMS)
but I think it was there.  If you have Wollongong on VMS then you
may just want to get the vt100tool and telnet or rlogin as opposed to
using set host with DNI.

--
Scott Wilson		arpa: swilson@sun.com
Sun Microsystems	uucp: ...!sun!swilson

"And the fool loves war, and the gentle die."	-The Call

terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) (09/28/88)

In article <68857@sun.uucp>, guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
| > I thing shelltool or cmdtool, if you made them 24 x 80 exactly,
| > would emulate VT100 closely enough to work with VMS.
|
| Doubtful.  The terminal emulated by "shelltool" (and by later versions of
| "cmdtool" when running in "full-screen" or "Disable Scrolling" mode) is ANSI
| X3.64-compliant terminal, just as a VT100 is; however, both terminals have a
| number of "private" escape sequences (for which X3.64 makes provisions) that
| are INcompatible.  One such escape sequence is the "set scrolling region"
| escape sequence on a VT100, which doesn't exist in "shelltool"; instead, the
| same sequence does something quite different (it sets the number of lines by
| which the screen scrolls up).  Unfortunate, but true.

We sell one.  See the Oct. Issue of Byte, New Products (we've been out since
1982, but have a newer version), or the cover of UNIX World (also Oct.).

We do VT100, TVI925, TVI912, ANSI 3.64, WYSE-50, ADM1 (Basic IV 7270), VT52,
TTY (like a smart 'cu').

With the exception of 132 columns, Double-high, and Double-wide on some
systems, we ARE exact enough for EVE, EDT, LSE (all tested) and all other
TPU and SMG based programs we could get our hands on.

And we run on 140+ (mostly UNIX) systems.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 } ...utah-cs!century!terry |
| @ Century Software        OR: ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
|                   'I have an eight user poetic liscence' - me               |