[comp.unix.questions] X Windows

mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) (08/26/87)

I need as much information on the X Windows package as I can get.
Of specific interest is:

	o It's hardware requirements (does it run on character terminals?).

	o O.S.s that it runs on (BSD, Sys V, SCO Xenix, DOS?)

	o Memory requirements and usage.

	o Who is using it?  What products is it in?

	o Programming languages that can use it.

	o What is it's development invironment like?  Is it like
	developing in SunWindow, MS-Windows, or Mac (s.w. interfaces)???

	o What has been anyone's experience in it's use, developing applications
	that use it, porting it to different environments.

	o Performance.

	o compared and contrasted with other "windows" packages... how does
	it stack up and perform?

and any other information that you care to share is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

--
Mitchell Lerner
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell

beth@utoday.UUCP (beth) (09/16/88)

                I'm trying to write an article about what a "Distributed
        X Network" might look like, and what benefits it would provide
        for users. I heard X is the minicomputer world's answer to
        workstations, because it let's you distribute bit-mapped graphics
        across a terminal-to-host network.
                Can anyone help shed light on these three points?
                Please respond by e-mail to uunet!utoday!beth

        Beth C. Fishkind

dale@lamont.Columbia.edu (dale chayes) (09/25/88)

In article <255@utoday.UUCP>, beth@utoday.UUCP (beth) writes:

>                 I'm trying to write an article about what a "Distributed
>         X Network" might look like, and what benefits it would provide

This article posting struck oddly. Perhaps I am completely off base, in
which case I apologize now, or it is either; intended to start a flame
war over the pros and cons of various window systems, or an attempt to
gather some info so that the poster can write an article about a topic
which she/he is not qualified to write about.

If the first case is correct, you will probably succeed. If the second,
I suggest that you ask your editor to assign someone who knows the subject.

--
Dale Chayes Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University
Route 9W, Palisades, N.Y.  10964	dale@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu

littauer@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tom Littauer) (09/28/88)

In article <910@shark.lamont.Columbia.edu> dale@lamont.Columbia.edu (dale chayes) writes:
>In article <255@utoday.UUCP>, beth@utoday.UUCP (beth) writes:
>>                 I'm trying to write an article about what a "Distributed
>>         X Network" might look like, and what benefits it would provide
>
>This article posting struck oddly. Perhaps I am completely off base, in
>which case I apologize now, or it is either; intended to start a flame
>war over the pros and cons of various window systems, or an attempt to
>gather some info so that the poster can write an article about a topic
>which she/he is not qualified to write about.
>
>If the first case is correct, you will probably succeed. If the second,
>I suggest that you ask your editor to assign someone who knows the subject.

After all the flames in other groups about the trade press not reflecting
the interests of the technical community, it's nice to see someone coming
to us for informed opinion. Assuming "beginner's mind" is a useful device
for (re)examining a subject for a fresh perspective. It'd be real good to
see an article that talks about real-world benefits as opposed to "it's
new, it's sexy, therefore it's useful" :-).
--
UUCP:  littauer@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ames,uunet}!amdahl!littauer

I'll tell you when I'm giving you the party line. The rest of the time
it's my very own ravings (accept no substitutes).