[net.cooks] lard

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (10/01/85)

About lard:

>	As a rule of thumb, if I can't buy the
>	ingredient in the supermarket, I don't want it in my food.
>	When was the last time you baked lard, or FD&C yellow #5, or
>	cottonseed oil, into a batch of homemade cookies? Never!

A couple of points here:

   1.  You CAN buy lard in the supermarket.

   2.  Cottonseed oil is excellent oil, I believe.  Does anyone know
       the saturated/unsaturated fat ratio?  Cottonseed oil is also
       available in my supermarket.  It has been used in many countries
       since cotton has been grown.

   3.  Do not equate FD&C yellow #5 with either of the other two--they
       are natural products, and it is not.  (at least as far as I know.)

   4.  My grandmother swears by lard in pie crust, and she makes
       the best pie crust around.  She says 1/2 lard, 1/2 butter
       is the secret.  HER grandmother swore by ALL lard in her
       crust.  So don't think that using lard is something new
       dreamed up by chemists.

>	I recently read the ingredients on a container of prepared
>	chocolate frosting, you know, the one that advertises on national
>	TV as "made with real butter."  Well, ANIMAL FAT comes in ahead
>	of butter on the ingredient list, way ahead.  Disgusting!

If you think about it, butter IS animal fat.--it just comes out in a
different way.

I will agree that lard is less healthy than a vegetable oil.  But it
does have its uses.  I would`t buy it unless I'm making a pie--in which
case health is probably not my major concern.  I'm not much of a pie baker
anyway.

--

                                     Sue Brezden

Real World: Room 1B17                Net World: ihnp4!drutx!slb
            AT&T Information Systems
            11900 North Pecos
            Westminster, Co. 80234
            (303)538-3829

        Your god may be dead, but mine aren't.

benson@dcdwest.UUCP (Peter Benson) (10/01/85)

While I accept that lard is bad for you ( I haven't bought any
in over a year) and fattening to boot, it sure makes refried
beans taste good.  Refrieds with oil just don't have that
decadent greasiness that lard imparts.

I am told that lard gives a special flakiness to crusts and
that it is a key ingredient in flour tortillas.

You can buy lard in almost every grocery store.  No doubt, it
has been around for thousands of years.  What's more, if you
live in a relatively cool climate, it will keep right there on
the shelf in the cupboard.  For months.

--
                                _
Peter Benson                    | ITT Defense Communications Division

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (10/03/85)

In article <96@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>   2.  Cottonseed oil is excellent oil, I believe.  Does anyone know
>       the saturated/unsaturated fat ratio?  Cottonseed oil is also
>       available in my supermarket.  It has been used in many countries
>       since cotton has been grown.

The problem with cottonseed oil is that, since cotton isn't classified
as a food, it can be sprayed with all sorts of chemicals that aren't
allowed on food crops.  Lots of the residuals of these chemicals can
get into the oil.  Otherwise, the oil is pretty good, although
I don't know its fat ratios.

On a related note, to fat ratios, that is, I heard recently that
polyunsaturated oil is probably not the best to eat, although it's
better than saturated.  Mono-unsaturated - like olive oil - seems
to be about the best.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."

sommers@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Mamaliz @ The Soup Kitchen) (10/07/85)

In article <96@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:

>I will agree that lard is less healthy than a vegetable oil.  But it
>does have its uses.  I would`t buy it unless I'm making a pie--in which
>case health is probably not my major concern.  I'm not much of a pie baker
>anyway.

Try using lard in your mexican cooking.  A good rule of thumb is to always
use the fat that is typical of a regional cuisine.  Lard is the generic fat in
mexican cooking.

liz

--
liz sommers

My "best address" will soon be changing to
topaz!mama!liz

but I can still be reached at:
uucp:   ...{seismo, ut-sally,ihnp4!packard}!topaz!sommers
arpa:   sommers@rutgers

chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) (10/09/85)

Cheers!  Lard may not be good for you but it's not much worse
than the hydrogentaed vegetable oils used in most margarines.

Pie crusts, at least meat pie types, are superior with lard.  And
as another person said, refried beans are not refried beans without
lard.  To my taste, much Mexican food does not taste as good unless
lard is used.

And lastly, yes, butter is most certainly animal fat.  Tell us all
how you no longer use milk or cream or butter or ice cream and I will
then applaud your effort to refrain from eating animal fat.

As an aside, if you are a meat eater, your meat would be rather tasteless
without that disgusting fat, since much of the aroma and flavor is derived
from fat soluble elements (I forget the terms).  In addition, there are
a number of fat soluble vitamins for which you would have to take supplements
if you abstained from all fat in your diet.

As can be said about many dietary items, in moderation they are fine, healthy
and necessary, but in excess become killers.

--
	Chris Grevstad
	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!minnie!chris

	If things don't change, they will probably remain the same.

barrys@hercules.UUCP (Barry Steel) (10/15/85)

OOPS!  I got carried about what I said about lard (ie. wrong).  I looked
in "Joy of Cooking" and found out the following:

		Lard is rendered pork fat, nothing else.

I might add that rendering fat is just a process of boiling to get rid of
non-fat things like ligments, blood vessels, etc. followed by cooling the
water/fat mess.  The fat can be removed once cool.

I'm certainly not going to vouch for the preservatives that are usually put
into boughten lard...

barry steel