[comp.unix.questions] USENET/uucp Books

medsoft (Richard Kaplan) (10/03/88)

A while back I posted an inquiry for info about USENET/uucp books.
I received quite a bit of mail, but there were only 3 books which were
recommended to me.  Thanks to all who responded

USING UUCP AND USENET from O'Reilly & Associates is a simplistic but
very useful introduction to the topic.  Contact the publisher
at 1-800-338-NUTS.  ISBN 0-937175-10-2

MANAGING UUCP AND USENET from O'Reilly & Associates is a more advanced
book which concentrates on the administrative aspects of running a
uucp/USENET system.  Contact the publisher at 1-800-338-NUTS.
ISBN 0-937175-09-

UNIX COMMUNICATIONS from Howard W. Sams & Company  seems to be THE
definitive guide to USENET and uucp.  IF I HAD TO PICK ONE BOOK,
THIS WOULD BE THE ONE.  Contact the publisher at 1-800-428-SAMS.
ISBN 0-672-22511-5

Finally, the following book was listed in the appendix of UNIX COMMUNICATIONS,
but I have not personally seen it:

Stigliani, Joan.  UUCP MANAGEMENT GUIDE.  Masscomp Computer Corp.,
1985.

USENET is also a good source of info about itself.  Check out these
newsgroups:

news.announce.newusers
news.groups
news.lists
news.misc

--
Richard Kaplan - via FidoNet node 1:135/3
Medical Software Exchange BBS (305) 325-8709

tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) (10/04/88)

In article <48.23466752@uunet!gould!umbio!medsoft>, rkaplan@uunet!gould!umbio!medsoft (Richard Kaplan) writes:

> UNIX COMMUNICATIONS from Howard W. Sams & Company  seems to be THE
> definitive guide to USENET and uucp.

I don't really understand how Richard can say this, since
this book says not one word on how to set up or administer a
UUCP or Usenet site.  If your UUCP links aren't already set
up, this book won't help you one bit.

If you need help setting up or debugging UUCP links, there
is only one book that has anything to say on the subject:
Managing UUCP and Usenet.

--
Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (10/07/88)

In article <1302@ora.UUCP> tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) writes:
...Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
		   Don't you have an 800 number, too?

...O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
...981 Chestnut Street, Newton, MA 02164
...UUCP:	uunet!ora!tim      ARPA:   tim@ora.uu.net

Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division                   ...!att!jonlab!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334
1200 Old Trenton Road           GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800

tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) (10/09/88)

In article <308@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> In article <1302@ora.UUCP> tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) writes:
> ...Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210
>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 		   Don't you have an 800 number, too?

800-338-NUTS;  funny, I just noticed its absence from my
signature this morning, 5 minutes before reading your
posting.
--

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (10/10/88)

In article <1303@ora.UUCP> tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) writes:
...In article <308@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
...> In article <1302@ora.UUCP> tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) writes:
...> ...Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210
...>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
...> 		   Don't you have an 800 number, too?
...800-338-NUTS;  funny, I just noticed its absence from my
   800-DEV-NUTS is more "unix-y"  :-)

...signature this morning, 5 minutes before reading your
...posting.
...--
...Tim O'Reilly (617) 527-4210
...O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
...981 Chestnut Street, Newton, MA 02164
...UUCP:	uunet!ora!tim      ARPA:   tim@ora.uu.net

It's still missing!  Is that a hint?
	pete